A great melody first, then lyrics,(only) THEN 'vocals'

Mark Blackburn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn View Post
It was on a January day -- just like this one [20] years ago -- that I returned home from work to hear words from my wife that I'd been aching to hear: "You got a letter from Frank Sinatra."

I remember taking off my winter coat and boots, and stumbling into another room where I could be alone, making sure my hands were clean, and getting a bright reading light, and carefully opening the envelope and reading the note and re-reading it (ten times? twenty times?).

"I greatly appreciate your interest in my music" and "it was so nice of you to take the time to write."
Dang, Mark. You're one lucky Canadian!

Another amazing story for the archives...

LCK

• Members
Charlie Chaplin (who liked to hear a good tenor) would have smiled, I think, to hear what young Mr. Groban does with his "best song.

Josh Groban Performs Smile on the Regis and Kelly Show 11/17/2011

Nice.

LCK

• Members
In this world of overrated pleasures
And underrated treasures,
I'm glad there is you.
And I'm glad there is you, Mark!

I've liked this song for a long time, but I never knew it came from Tommy Dorsey! I always thought it was written in the 1960's; it has that kind of musical sensibility. Who knew Dorsey was so ahead of his time?

LCK

• Members

It's a snowy Saturday and I'm thinking about 'strong songs in need of lyrics.'

Just checked Youtube for a late 70s/early 80s video of George Benson's instrumental song, AFFIRMATION. Sure enough: We see a much slimmer (weren't we all?) guitar virtuoso backed by stellar jazz musicians including the late Argentinian jazz pianist Jorge Dalto.

[The latest posted

Archived