A great melody first, then lyrics,(only) THEN 'vocals'

Mark Blackburn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Melody - Lyrics - Vocals. This has worked best for me. Though sometimes the song builds itself on lyrics first, then melody, but that is almost always uphill work. Surely no one has ever done the reverse? Vocals - L -M? Sorry, please excuse my quaint sense of humor.

• Members

But it's December the twenty-fourth
and I'm longing to be 'up North' . . .

-- Irving Berlin (White Christmas)

Today's the day this song was meant to be sung -- on the day of 'the night before Christmas' -- at least when performed with the opening verse that few singers have included on any of the thousands of versions of this, the "all-time best selling Christmas song" composed (words and music) by a Jew who was married to a Catholic. (But you knew that.)

Satellite radio just played Barbra Streisand's version

• Members

Counting down to New Year's . . . and nothing to watch on tv; we popped a DVD into the player -- a jazz biography recently acquired from an Amazon seller in California (unavailable at any price here in Canada). Easily the most pleasurable film biography my wife and I have ever seen, concerning

• Moderators

I called the front desk and says, "There's a flock of geese in my room" and she says, "You got any left?"

Jack Sheldon. I used to catch the Merv Griffin show everyday after school t watch Ray Brown and Sheldon do their thing in that band. Even as a kid I'd think, "Shouldn't this band behind Merv Griffin be square????". Sheldon was never a square...

• Members

First a big thank-you to my two favorite Lees! And a happy new year to all.

I came here to pose a question: What do Seth MacFarlane, Melody Gardot and Perry Como have in common? Well . . . what they DON'T have in common is widespread fame as singers. Only Perry made it big. So far at least!

Seth MacFarlane

• Members

Thanks, Mark. Another beautiful song I'd never heard before.

The arrangement -- the strings, piano, sax -- is just perfect.

If I'm lucky, maybe someday I'll have someone like Melody Gardot sing one of my songs...

LCK

• Members

I have Lee Charles Kelley to thank for posting earlier this day, on my other favorite Lee's FRIDAY INFLUENCES thread, a video of Tony Bennett's lovely reading of a Johnny Mercer song about Paris: ONCE UPON A SUMMERTIME (one we celebrated pages ago, last night when we were young).

I accepted the built-in invitation to

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn View Post
I
For months I've been telling friends that "track eleven on Tony's latest album - his duet with Stevie Wonder -- is the `pick of the litter.'" And while popular music's elder statesman -- now in his 81st year - would never have admitted it on stage last night, I believe that he and Stevie, in their heart-of-hearts would agree with the folks at the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences -- that this was the Grammy winner, among the 23 terrific duets on this album.
Wow. Thanks for uploading this.

I'd always thought that Stevie wrote this song, but found out recently that he hadn't. It was written by one of Motown's resident songwriters, Ron Miller (with Orlando Murden). If you haven't heard it, the story goes that Miller came up with the idea for the song the night his daughter was born.

LCK

Archived