A great melody first, then lyrics,(only) THEN 'vocals'

Mark Blackburn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Speaking of "Stardust", I love how this song exhibits what seems to be a perfect example of repeated tension and resolution in chord structure, melody, rhythm, and lyrics. love.gif

For the terminology sticklers, I'm applying the concepts of tension and resolution outside of their usual application to chords, but I'm sure you get my meaning. wink.gif

• Members

I agree that it is a very strong suite to pen your melody first before the lyric and vocals come in. Remember however all musicians are differant. I just finsihed up an 8 song album. Need two more really . Gonna go with two covers .Anyway. A few I start with the inpiration of a riff and the rest fell into place. However it took longer than i' d have liked it to. When I cm up with melodies four 4 of the others the chords seemes to fall into place . And then the riffs . the nthe vocals , words. Maybe not inthat exact order but yes . Melody is SOO much of it. In the end I dind my weak link to be putting it all together so i take other bands and when i find a band i like that has a song not necessarily inthe same vein as mine ill still use their skelwton outline . That is the way they put the whole song together . I find nothing wrong with that. especially if your not in the same genre . writing anything remotely cloese to their muwsic and so on. Its like a cheat sheet.

I asked this guy last night as he was ,eaving my buddies bands performance . Did you remember anything you jsut heard that you cant get get out of your head for the life of you and infatically he said .....no. :>( It aint bro. I have seen bands come out of nothing write a number one hit and still have to pay their dues by touring for a while so they can get the song out ya know.
thanx

• Members

Thanks "DaneSwede1" of South Florida: I see you usually confine your remarks to equipment appreciations -- so I in turn appreciated your anecdote here about your "buddy's band performance" and the (apparent) lack of melodies with good 'hooks.' Speaking of which . . .

Back on March 9th of this year, (p. 15, post 298) I wrote an appreciation for HE WAS TOO GOOD TO ME, a seldom-heard gem from eight decades ago, by my favorite composer, Richard Rodgers: a song that almost didn

• Members

First a thank you to LCK for that splendid version (properly-embedded) of "He/She Was Too Good to Me" -- which I'd not heard before! And as we turn to page 26 (suddenly we're at 500 posts and nearly 250,000 "views" -- how did THAT happen?) I simply had to acknowledge something "8-String" said on the previous page here.

As if to acknowledge 8-String's note about "Stardust" satellite radio (channel 71) just played my favorite version EVER of Nat Cole's 'signature tune'

• Members

It's very simple. When you're at Youtube, copy the URL address from the window at the top of your online browser. (Hint: the URL address you'll see right now in your window reads: acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread... etc.)

Select that address (which will look like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bksKb8JHvU), then just above the pane where you type in to write your posts you'll see a number of icons indicating fonts, bold, italics, underline, etc. To the right are three icons: a sphere, a picture frame, and what looks like a small a strip of celluloid.

Click on that icon and a small window will open. In that window paste the URL address you copied from Youtube. Click, "Okay," and when you're done you should see something like this on your computer screen (minus the spaces):

[ video=youtube;6bksKb8JHvU ] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bksKb8JHvU [ /video ]

Note: the middle section is exactly the same as the URL address you copied from Youtube, with the following additions ... [ video =youtube;6bksKb8JHvU ] ......... [ /video ] (minus the spaces and ellipsis). Those bracketed bits sort of act as "bookends" to let the computer know what to do with URL address (in this case, turn it into a fully-functioning Youtube link).

If the problem persists, find a 4th grader to help you!

Cheers!

LCK

It's always a good idea to go back and check your post to make sure the links work.

• Members

Over on Lee Knight's "Friday Influences" thread one of my favorite eclectic "senior members" (you know who you are) posted my all-time favorite Gilbert & Sullivan song: "I Am The Very Model of a Modern Major General" (that's a very young Linda Ronstadt in the chorus!).

Johnny Mercer used to say (I'm paraphrasing) "You can trace all of us (literate lyricists) back to Gilbert." [When some of our grandparents were young, almost the ONLY songs at least 40 years old, that were still 'current' were those of Stephen Foster and Gilbert & Sullivan.]

Funny thing is, there's still room for razor-sharp parodies of these "songs everyone has forgotten." Case in point. (Just showin' off my new embedding' skills. See if I remember how to do this one day later . . .

[According to Wiki]

Gilbert and Sullivan refers to the Victorian-era theatrical partnership of the librettist W. S. Gilbert (1836

• Members

Mark - I know you have respect for Tony Bennett. There is a review in today's Guardian.
You may appreciate this comment the reviewer made :

'Bennett's effortless command of light and shade point out the problem modern vocalists have: many approach singing like a sport, rather than a method of human interaction'.

The review is here if you would like to read it :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...bennett-review

Archived