SnaxFX users: Let's talk power maps

Eschatologist

• Members

So I am thinking of getting an AxeFX, running direct to PA, but I still need a good power amp to drive my cabinet for jams. What are you guys using? SS or toobs? :wave:

Also...

inb4snaxdigitalmodellingsux{censored}stormcsb :cop:

• Members
Had no idea they had any issues. The one Bulb was showcasing was just power amp in a headshell, and supposedly they are/were working on a rackmountable version as well.

Very cool! This was a long time ago, and after it happened, I didn't hear anything from Atomic until recently.

• Members

Had no idea they had any issues. The one Bulb was showcasing was just power amp in a headshell, and supposedly they are/were working on a rackmountable version as well.

Hopefully the rackmount is stereo. Seems dumb to not use a stereo power amp with the Axe.

• Members
Hopefully the rackmount is stereo. Seems dumb to not use a stereo power amp with the Axe.

At that point, wouldn't it make sense to go with something proven like the VHT/Marshall/Mesa rack mount amps?

I like the idea of the Reactor combo for use with any of the modelers/AxeFX. Allows a smaller foot print... of course the Axe is a rackmount unit, so nevermind...

Dammit, they need something like Mesa has, where you can mount the Axe into the Atomic combo. :thu: THAT would be cool.

• Members

I used a Mesa 50-50 for a while. Then I went to a SS QSC power amp. After a while of comparing I liked the QSC better.

One of the reasons of modeling was to get away from tube maintenance. If your amplification rig is still tube, idk, may as well stay tube then and not worry about modeling :cop: OTOH, if SS amps fail on you, you can't fix them as easily since most are not DIY repairs if you pop a channel.

• Members
At that point, wouldn't it make sense to go with something proven like the VHT/Marshall/Mesa rack mount amps?

I like the idea of the Reactor combo for use with any of the modelers/AxeFX. Allows a smaller foot print... of course the Axe is a rackmount unit, so nevermind...

Dammit, they need something like Mesa has, where you can mount the Axe into the Atomic combo.
:thu:
THAT would be cool.

I would assume the Atmoic would be cheaper and designed to work with the Axe. :idk:

Honestly, I'd probably go with the Randall 50/50 power amp.

• Members

That's a good point... assuming the Atomic rackmount is priced in line with their combo. However, isn't the combo low wattage? Like around ~40 watts or so? I was checking it out back then, so it may have changed by now. Either way, it was a really cool idea at the time, especially since they had the removeable inserts so it would fit whatever modeller you were using with it. :cool:

• Members
That's a good point... assuming the Atomic rackmount is priced in line with their combo. However, isn't the combo low wattage? Like around ~40 watts or so? I was checking it out back then, so it may have changed by now. Either way, it was a really cool idea at the time, especially since they had the removeable inserts so it would fit whatever modeller you were using with it.
:cool:

I don't know. I think if Atomic did a 50/50 rack power amp, it'd be pretty much perfect for use with the Axe.

• Members

I prefer the SS power amps, a big chunk of the Axe's flexibility lies in the power amp sims which they recommend you turn off if using a power amp that colors your signal. I would go SS if you want maximum versatility but that does not mean that using tubes is the wrong answer, many people report awesome results just running through the return of an amp head.

• Members

I prefer the SS power amps, a big chunk of the Axe's flexibility lies in the power amp sims which they recommend you turn off if using a power amp that colors your signal. I would go SS if you want maximum versatility but that does not mean that using tubes is the wrong answer, many people report awesome results just running through the return of an amp head.

Are the power amp sims separate from the cab impulses? How authentic are they, are they a standout feature or just one frill among the other features?

• Members

Are the power amp sims separate from the cab impulses? How authentic are they, are they a standout feature or just one frill among the other features?

Definitely an integral part of the Axe IMO. It's basically half of the equation, basically the analog equivalent of asking if those 6L6's in those Fenders are really that important. :cop:

Each amp model has a power section modeled after the actual amp. Leaving the master volume low on the AC30 Top Boost model keeps it clean and jangly, raise it up past 7 and its starts getting mean. Likewise the Plexi models get most of their dirt from the power amp sims, cranking the gain all the way up will only yield a mild crunch because just like real Plexis, there is not much preamp gain. The "Sag" parameter also contributes to a lot of the feel, higher settings being squishier and much more compressed. Also just like the real counterparts, most of the higher gain 6L6 based amps (Mesa Marks, Dumble, 5150 etc) sound best with the power amps kept relatively clean. Its a refreshing to see amp modeling model amps so well and true to their actual nature as opposed to just an EQ approximation.

• Members
Aren't crate powerblocks designed to give distortion on their own as they go up in volume?

Yes, if you plug in to the preamp. It's an ordinary guitar amp after all.

You can always use the loop / line in and plug directly into the power amp, which is rather transparent.

I wonder if these are out already and if anyone has tried one:
dvk-gnr8130-storypic.jpg

• Members

I prefer the SS power amps, a big chunk of the Axe's flexibility lies in the power amp sims which they recommend you turn off if using a power amp that colors your signal. I would go SS if you want maximum versatility but that does not mean that using tubes is the wrong answer

This is a good post. Very happy with my SS power amp. I have had a Mesa 2:90 on loan which I have tried maybe 3 times....prefer the SS...

• Members

I agree with the other posts here. Without using the poweramp sims the Axe becomes much more limited. Unless you pair up the right tube types for the amp, its not going to sound right through a tube amp usually.

My Carvin TS100 is actually pretty darn transparent so I use poweramp sims with it anyways and it sounds pretty darn good. I also use a MosValve but I'm not too happy with it, I need a better SS poweramp soon.

• Members

If transparency is a requirement then I'd steer clear away from "musical instrument" power amps like MosValves, Microtubes, Velocitys, etc. They are all voiced to skew the frequency response in order to sound more like a tube amp, some even made to introduce deliberate "soft" clipping. On that note, pretty much all tube power amp solutions are out too, unless you get something like a McIntosh.

Archived