SnaxFX users: Let's talk power maps

Eschatologist

• Members

I don't have the Axe-FX (yet) but I've been using preamps with cab/speaker/mic sims for a long time. I'm assuming that the new Axe technology has similarities. I plug them right into tube amps, as well as solid state amps.

I have noticed that the SS amps are "quicker", often tighter, and a tad more "brittle" for lack of better descriptions. Tube amps give them more...sag, more depth and richness....again, for lack of better words.

This is all stuff we already know from our normal amp usage. There's no wrong or right, better or worse, just what kind of shaping you'd like to do conincidently with amplification. Some poweramps like Mesa have a few controls, and I like that for making minor room to room adjustments. And it works the same for combos and heads as well. Something like a VHT 50/50 combo would probably be GREAT for AXE FX. Has great clarity and transparency, and instead of tweaking from gig to gig, or having multiple patches, you can make some mindor adjustments on the amp. Something like my old Fender Twin imparts a bit more deep tube color and feel, traits that some people feel are lacking on outboard preamps and "modelers".

You'll find that you won't have the same parameters as going direct, or from poweramp to tube combo (for instance). You may find a cab sim and raised hi freq eq gives you better resonance than cab sim off and lowered hi freg eq.

It takes some exepreimenting and adeptness to perfect it, but if you are a plug n play guy, you wouldn't want an Axe-FX anyway. I find the challenge enjoyable and rewarding.

Archived