Clapton is awesome...

TornadoOfSouls

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

...whether or not you like him or not, you should pick up Dave Mathews' "Live at Radio City" just him, his guitar player, and two acoustic guitars, first time I watched it on my Bose system I literally had constant goosebumps...

I have that on Blu-Ray. My wife is a big DMB fan (she's a drummer, go figure) so I bought it for her, not really expecting to like it... But I found it really enjoyable.

• Members

whether or not you like him or not, you should pick up Dave Mathews' "Live at Radio City" just him, his guitar player, and two acoustic guitars, first time I watched it on my Bose system I literally had constant goosebumps...

Hearing the Dave Mathews Band makes me want to slide down a 300ft razor into a vat of acid! :mad::mad::mad:

• Members

Hearing the Dave Mathews Band makes me want to slide down a 300ft razor into a vat of acid!
:mad:

This, I caught a bit of a show of his on palladia the other day and damn I cannot stand his voice or his stupid persona, his band isn't bad though.

• Members

There was no sarcasm in my post what-so-ever, although I'm not saying you thought there was, I'm just re-iterating how cool it is to have that happen, happened to me about a month ago and I've been contemplating letting some stuff go to get a super nice acoustic, because mine is {censored}... I tell you what, playing ANY type of lead work on the acoustic makes going to electric seem like a {censored}ing toy...

This may be a longshot, but I remember you saying you were even playing some John Mayer stuff so I don't mind... whether or not you like him or not, you should pick up Dave Mathews' "Live at Radio City" just him, his guitar player, and two acoustic guitars, first time I watched it on my Bose system I literally had constant goosebumps...

+1

Dave Mathews gets a lot of hate on here, but he is a damn good guitar player.

• Members

Everbody talks about the Cream era but the Derek and the Dominos era is what I consider his last good work probably because it was mainly carried by Duane but w/e.

The good stuff that Clapton has put out was always heavily assisted by either hard drugs or amazing musicians at his side. His solo stuff just doesn't stand up on it's own.

Hell, most of Cream's stuff wasn't that great either. Couple of absolutely classic amazing rock songs, and a lot of uninspired trash, imo.

Clapton eras:

Yardbirds/Cream/60's stuff - c'mon, he was jamming in the shadows of Page and Beck. Truly awesome, creative players. Cream was just rehashed blues riffs, and psychadelic drugs. Lots of em. Sure, he had awesome tone. He was plugging a '59 Les Paul in to a Bluesbreaker combo. wtfbbq anyone can sound great on a rig like that, playing white man blues.

Coked up period - lots of Duane Allman collabs, and Duane was a superior musician all around.

80's - more coke, less partying... the gravy train is running out, as people stop associating with him. Derek and the Domino's.... have you heard the rest of that album, aside from Layla?? It's terribly boring and... not good.

90's - he's getting over his son's death. Much respect and sympathy for the man, but his songs reeeeeeeeeally dropped off at this point. I feel awful that his son died, especially in the manner it happened, but that doesn't mean I have to like his music from this period.

2000's - old slowhand? More like, posterboy for TGP blues lawyers complete with fake orgasm faces as he bends his e string up a 1/2 step. More sorry white collar, white man blues with no feel to it. Even worse when he got BB King to jam with him.

So... 60's drug addict turned modern lame old man. Don't see the hooplah.

• Members

The good stuff that Clapton has put out was always heavily assisted by either hard drugs or amazing musicians at his side. His solo stuff just doesn't stand up on it's own.

Hell, most of Cream's stuff wasn't that great either. Couple of absolutely classic amazing rock songs, and a lot of uninspired trash, imo.

Clapton eras:

Yardbirds/Cream/60's stuff - c'mon, he was jamming in the shadows of Page and Beck. Truly awesome, creative players. Cream was just rehashed blues riffs, and psychadelic drugs. Lots of em. Sure, he had awesome tone. He was plugging a '59 Les Paul in to a Bluesbreaker combo. wtfbbq anyone can sound great on a rig like that, playing white man blues.

Coked up period - lots of Duane Allman collabs, and Duane was a superior musician all around.

80's - more coke, less partying... the gravy train is running out, as people stop associating with him. Derek and the Domino's.... have you heard the rest of that album, aside from Layla?? It's terribly boring and... not good.

90's - he's getting over his son's death. Much respect and sympathy for the man, but his songs reeeeeeeeeally dropped off at this point. I feel awful that his son died, especially in the manner it happened, but that doesn't mean I have to like his music from this period.

2000's - old slowhand? More like, posterboy for TGP blues lawyers complete with fake orgasm faces as he bends his e string up a 1/2 step. More sorry white collar, white man blues with no feel to it. Even worse when he got BB King to jam with him.

For the most part I agree with you as far as his playing goes I think he still shows flashes of brilliance, the live album with Steve Winwood is fantastic, the two shows he sat in with the Allman Brothers at the Beacon in 2009 showed great playing but he's definately a streaky player. It seems like he usually steps his game up when other great players are involved. His song writing ability is absolutely gone and like you stated it has been gone for a very long time.

• Members

Don't get me wrong, I know the flashes of brilliance you're talking about, but to me that doesn't equate to the legendary player he's been built up to.

I've heard those same flashes of brilliance at local blues jams. Sometimes stuff just falls out of the guitar when you have a killer jam going. :idk:

His playing style is just so unremarkable.

• Members

in defense of Eric, he would admit he's no guitar virtuoso but he is a great singer, something that rarely gets mentioned about him, Hendrix, SRV etc.

the difference between him and the local yokel blues jam hack is that they can't sing like him and they can't write a song like this. this is where the game ends.

[YOUTUBE]AgSptNx19AI[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Clapton eras:

Let it be on record that for once, I agree with you.

• Members

Please don't even try to defend Eric Clapton. He needs no defense. He's a legend despite what the idiots at HCAF think.
:facepalm:

they are two separate things.

one can be a legend.

and there is HCAF.

one can become a legend ALSO by being loved by idiots. hulk hogan will be a legend, for instance.

just because hcaf has idiots doesnt mean eric clapton's being a legend wasn't ALSO created by people who were also idiots without association to HCAF, nor does it mean that people at HCAF who don't like him are idiots.

Archived