Clapton is awesome...

TornadoOfSouls

• Members

Clapton is the {censored}. And why has no one mentioned Blind Faith?

Late 70's - 80's Clapton was weak. But so was a lot of {censored} during that time. :lol:

I can't stand to listen to Tears in Heaven anymore, but I think the rest of the Unplugged album is awesome.

He did some modern contemporary rock stuff after that and I hated it. In fact the only new stuff I really like is the Robert Johnson sessions.

Still wish I would have seen him with Bramhal and Trucks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Clapton is the {censored}. And why has no one mentioned Blind Faith?

Late 70's - 80's Clapton was weak. But so was a lot of {censored} during that time.
:lol:

I can't stand to listen to Tears in Heaven anymore, but I think the rest of the Unplugged album is awesome.

He did some modern contemporary rock stuff after that and I hated it. In fact the only new stuff I really like is the Robert Johnson sessions.

Still wish I would have seen him with Bramhal and Trucks.

I saw him with Doyle and Trucks:thu: Great playing and tone by Eric, but Derek stole the show...

• Members

they are two separate things.

one can be a legend.

and there is HCAF.

one can become a legend ALSO by being loved by idiots. hulk hogan will be a legend, for instance.

just because hcaf has idiots doesnt mean eric clapton's being a legend wasn't ALSO created by people who were also idiots without association to HCAF, nor does it mean that people at HCAF who don't like him are idiots.

Yeah, ok.:rolleyes:

• Members

Layla is one of the most ripping rock tunes ever written, there's so much raw emotion in that song.

I absolutely hate his acoustic version with a passion though. For a song about being in love with your best friend's wife and being torn knowing that writing a song like that is the only way to tell the both of them.....that original version is incredible.

• Members

Layla is one of the most ripping rock tunes ever written, there's so much raw emotion in that song.

I absolutely hate his acoustic version with a passion though. For a song about being in love with your best friend's wife and being torn knowing that writing a song like that is the only way to tell the both of them.....that original version is incredible.

:thu:

You took the {censored}ing words right outta my mouth dude! I feel the exact same way!

• Members

Yeah, ok.
:rolleyes:

seriously. its still legit to thing eric clapton is great, but totally not represent any great pinnacle in your personal gallery of greats.

somewhere, there are legions of people thinking the same {censored} about the insane clown posse. it doesn't make them geniuses, it just mean there's a lot of people who like them.

somebody's gotta be early in line. clapton's statistically one of the early ones- for a white dude playing blues. but i'll certainly take bukka white, son house, blind willie mctell, ol' bob johnson, furry lewis, (insert one million other people) and even the chicago electric types of whom i'm utterly not fond for doing it right and well first. and even those cats weren't FIRST.. they were part of a tradition, and so is eric clapton. he was lucky enough to be english, white, and good at it- and became a superstar. it doesn't eclipse the people whose records he snitched. and his popularity sure doesn't make him better- just a reinterpretation.

doesn't mean he's not great, but popularity sure doesn't indicate genius either in my eyes.

• Members

seriously. its still legit to thing eric clapton is great, but totally not represent any great pinnacle in your personal gallery of greats.

somewhere, there are legions of people thinking the same {censored} about the insane clown posse. it doesn't make them geniuses, it just mean there's a lot of people who like them.

somebody's gotta be early in line. clapton's statistically one of the early ones- for a white dude playing blues. but i'll certainly take bukka white, son house, blind willie mctell, ol' bob johnson, furry lewis, (insert one million other people) and even the chicago electric types of whom i'm utterly not fond for doing it right and well first. and even those cats weren't FIRST.. they were part of a tradition, and so is eric clapton. he was lucky enough to be english, white, and good at it- and became a superstar. it doesn't eclipse the people whose records he snitched. and his popularity sure doesn't make him better- just a reinterpretation.

doesn't mean he's not great, but
popularity sure doesn't indicate genius either in my eyes

No popularity doesn't indicate genius.

But longevity rarely misses the mark.

• Members

No popularity doesn't indicate genius.

But longevity rarely misses the mark.

did you read the multitudinous replies that his music from about the late 70's on has TOTALLY missed the mark?

not to say that one can't reinvent ones self.. but record execs of a given age certainly have been known to resurrect dinosaurs and make their own personal jurassic parks... oh, like... all the time...

it's positive. it's recycling in a way.

• Members

did you read the multitudinous replies that his music from about the late 70's on has TOTALLY missed the mark?

not to say that one can't reinvent ones self.. but record execs of a given age certainly have been known to resurrect dinosaurs and make their own personal jurassic parks... oh, like... all the time...

it's positive. it's recycling in a way.

Yes, Clapton's greatest music was with Cream IMO.

But...........if he TOTALLY missed the mark then we would not be talking about him 40 years later would we?

• Members

The good stuff that Clapton has put out was always heavily assisted by either hard drugs or amazing musicians at his side. His solo stuff just doesn't stand up on it's own.

Hell, most of Cream's stuff wasn't that great either. Couple of absolutely classic amazing rock songs, and a lot of uninspired trash, imo.

Clapton eras:

Yardbirds/Cream/60's stuff - c'mon, he was jamming in the shadows of Page and Beck. Truly awesome, creative players. Cream was just rehashed blues riffs, and psychadelic drugs. Lots of em. Sure, he had awesome tone. He was plugging a '59 Les Paul in to a Bluesbreaker combo. wtfbbq anyone can sound great on a rig like that, playing white man blues.
He was 20 at this point

Coked up period - lots of Duane Allman collabs, and Duane was a superior musician all around.
He was 30 at this point

80's - more coke, less partying... the gravy train is running out, as people stop associating with him. Derek and the Domino's.... have you heard the rest of that album, aside from Layla?? It's terribly boring and... not good.
He was 40 at this point

90's - he's getting over his son's death. Much respect and sympathy for the man, but his songs reeeeeeeeeally dropped off at this point. I feel awful that his son died, especially in the manner it happened, but that doesn't mean I have to like his music from this period.
He was 50 at this point

2000's - old slowhand? More like, posterboy for TGP blues lawyers complete with fake orgasm faces as he bends his e string up a 1/2 step. More sorry white collar, white man blues with no feel to it. Even worse when he got BB King to jam with him.
He was 60 at this point

So... 60's drug addict turned modern lame old man. Don't see the hooplah.

Edited for clarity; you're surprised to see a man with drug problems in his youth AGE? It's pretty freaking obvious to me why he changed styles and flavor in his playing while the overall quality has lowered. The dude is 65 now.

Archived