THE "What's for Dinner?" Thread! (Mods? Sticky? Please???)

LoopQuantum

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by trailsofsin

View Post

I see you've got one of those Vinturi wine aerators... I just got one for my dad last week, neat little tool, fairly subtle in effect but there is something to it for sure, I may have to get one for myself at some point.

My girlfriend bought it for me!love.giflove.giflove.gif

I freakin' love it. I don't pour a glass of wine without it unless I'm using the decanter for a special dinner.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by trailsofsin

View Post

Nothing too fancy tonight:

IMG_3081-1.jpg

Planked salmon w/ maple teriyaki glaze

Sweet potato fries tossed in olive oil and Frank's Redhot

Spinach salad in honey mustard/thyme vinaigrette

Looks great!

On another note, you either pushed the brightness and contrast up on this photo, or that is a PERFECT example of good salmon and strawberries. love.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ivo215

View Post

These pictures make me feel culinairily inadequate ...

This is like the best I can manage:

grub.jpg

Tortellini in tomato saus with some grated cheese on top, meatballs and some ready made potato salade with half an egg from the shop.

No, this isn't a small portion, these plates are huge.

The glass of port remedies all of the shortcomings of my coocking though ...

I actually do make some nice canelloni. They look like crap, but taste awesome.

Talk to me about these meatballs. They look, from the photo, to be in a casing, and pan seared, almost like sausages, unless I'm not seeing it right. I need to know!!!

• Members

No pics, but trust me, it was unreal.

Ground beef patty from the butcher

Red Wine, a Syrah froM Red Bicyclette

Moustard powder

Dill weed

1.5 stalks of celery

2 small carrots

2 green onions

1/2 an apple

salt & pepper

Cheddar cheese

Feta cheese

Maple syrup

How do confused.gif

Fire up your oven at 375F, put your meat in the pan with the veggies, cover bottom of baking pan in red wine, add moustard powder and dill to meat and veggies. Bake till cooked through, add cheddar, return to heat till melted. Add Feta, sliced apples, salt, pepper and a tiny sprinkling of maple syrup before serving with pile of veggies from pan.

UNREAL! love.gif I wish I had taken a picture of it, it was so yummy in my mouth AND on the plate.

-Curtis

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis.Fagan

View Post

No pics, but trust me, it was unreal.

Ground beef patty from the butcher

Red Wine, a Syrah froM Red Bicyclette

Moustard powder

Dill weed

1.5 stalks of celery

2 small carrots

2 green onions

1/2 an apple

salt & pepper

Cheddar cheese

Feta cheese

Maple syrup

How do confused.gif

Fire up your oven at 375F, put your meat in the pan with the veggies, cover bottom of baking pan in red wine, add moustard powder and dill to meat and veggies. Bake till cooked through, add cheddar, return to heat till melted. Add Feta, sliced apples, salt, pepper and a tiny sprinkling of maple syrup before serving with pile of veggies from pan.

UNREAL! love.gif I wish I had taken a picture of it, it was so yummy in my mouth AND on the plate.

-Curtis

you are such a cocktease with your lack of pictures!

• Members

Mac & Cheese win. I just made my "Heart Attack Plaza" on Monday.

Penne.

1/2 stick of buddah

Couple of cups of half and half

3 cloves garlic

Romano (the dankest find you can find)

Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar ( accept NO substitute)

Cabor Habanero Cheese

8oz riccotta

In a separate pan Make ia nice blond roux.

In a double boiler put in a bit of EVOO and smashed garlic. Let it steep Add cream and combine with a whisk. let it get hot to the touch. grate in the cheese. letting it melt in so it doesn't stick to your whisk. Add the Ricotta Last. I dont know why but that's just how I do it.

Add the roux. Thicken to your liking.

Combine with cooked pasta, Broccoli, Chicken, Bacon, ham, Chorizo, whatever. I like Spinach or broccoli or Quorn "mock Bok' Chicken.

Bake in oven for 25 minutes at 350. Let stand for 10 15 minutes. Eat and go into cardiac arrest. smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NixerX

View Post

Penne.

1/2 stick of buddah

3 cloves garlic

Cabor Habanero Cheese

8oz riccotta

In a double boiler put in a bit of EVOO and smashed garlic. Let it steep Add cream and combine with a whisk. let it get hot to the touch. grate in the cheese. letting it melt in so it doesn't stick to your whisk. Add the Ricotta Last. I dont know why but that's just how I do it.

Combine with cooked pasta, Broccoli, Chicken, Bacon, ham, Chorizo, whatever. I like Spinach or broccoli or Quorn "mock Bok' Chicken.

Bake in oven for 25 minutes at 350. Let stand for 10 15 minutes. Eat and go into cardiac arrest. smile.gif

I've always been a fan of pulled pork BBQ mac & cheese. I'll bet that would also be tasty with this love.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarslinger

View Post

When there no pictures, I don't even read it. It's kind of like typing "sig" in the spam thread.

lol, its {censored}ing mac & cheese dude.. if you dont have a mental picture of that...I dunno what to say. smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LoopQuantum

View Post

Details. Now.

Crust from scratch? Mix?

Order of layers.

I need details.

Ok, here's the short response:

The crust is a cornmeal-based crust (handmade) that's covered in a little olive oil. The layers were sun-dried tomatoes, cheese and Italian sausage. Towards the top layer, switched to diced tomatoes that were crushed and drained with Basil and oregano. A little Parm sprinkled over the top and voila!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pioneerprogress

View Post

you are such a cocktease with your lack of pictures!

It was effing perfect too. The maple was the crowning glory with this low carb, high protein burger. it was all around one of the tastiest things I've ever enjoyed out of my kitchen.

-Curtis

• Members

View Post

Talk to me about these meatballs. They look, from the photo, to be in a casing, and pan seared, almost like sausages, unless I'm not seeing it right. I need to know!!!

The meatballs aren't in a casing like sausages, they're just mince.

The texture of the mince is a lot smoother than regular mince though. When you mix your mince with some herbs, salt, a bit of mustard, a pinch of flour and an egg, just keep mixing it untill it's a smooth mix.

(I used to have an electric kitchen aid for the mixing, but it blew up ... Mince is a bit heavy for cheap kitchen aids. I now just use a spoon and some time for mixing)

Then make the balls and put them in a hot pan and roll them around a bit so they close up and the juice'll stay on the inside. Next lower the heat and occasionally turn them so they can cook on the inside.

Sometime I chuck the meatballs in the tomato saus for the 2nd stretch of cooking. But make sure they're well closed up and have a bit of colour before they go in the saus.

Tomatosaus:

I usually use Heinz traditionale as a base. And judging from the picture I don't think I did much to the saus that time. (yes, not a recent pic)

But there's tons of stuff you can do to it and I often do.

Start with some basil, oregano and salt. Maybe some chive, chive is good. Some chopped union and a splash of port. Don't use really expensive port for saus. It mostly just sweetens and colours the saus a bit and leaves a hint of taste. No need to waste the really good stuff on saus, as long as the port isn't horrible. Tawny or Ruby doesn't matter much, whatever you like.

Then you can chop up some green olives, make nice little rings from them und chuck them in. Some kapers in the saus go well too.

By now the saus on it's own is becoming a meal ...

If you're doing a quick saus, don't put in this many ingredi

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NixerX

View Post

Penne.

1/2 stick of buddah

3 cloves garlic

Cabor Habanero Cheese

8oz riccotta

Post sans pics FTMFL!!! mad.gifcry.gifmad.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ivo215

View Post

The meatballs aren't in a casing like sausages, they're just mince.

The texture of the mince is a lot smoother than regular mince though. When you mix your mince with some herbs, salt, a bit of mustard, a pinch of flour and an egg, just keep mixing it untill it's a smooth mix.

(I used to have an electric kitchen aid for the mixing, but it blew up ... Mince is a bit heavy for cheap kitchen aids. I now just use a spoon and some time for mixing)

Then make the balls and put them in a hot pan and roll them around a bit so they close up and the juice'll stay on the inside. Next lower the heat and occasionally turn them so they can cook on the inside.

Sometime I chuck the meatballs in the tomato saus for the 2nd stretch of cooking. But make sure they're well closed up and have a bit of colour before they go in the saus.

Tomatosaus:

I usually use Heinz traditionale as a base. And judging from the picture I don't think I did much to the saus that time. (yes, not a recent pic)

But there's tons of stuff you can do to it and I often do.

Start with some basil, oregano and salt. Maybe some chive, chive is good. Some chopped union and a splash of port. Don't use really expensive port for saus. It mostly just sweetens and colours the saus a bit and leaves a hint of taste. No need to waste the really good stuff on saus, as long as the port isn't horrible. Tawny or Ruby doesn't matter much, whatever you like.

Then you can chop up some green olives, make nice little rings from them und chuck them in. Some kapers in the saus go well too.

By now the saus on it's own is becoming a meal ...

If you're doing a quick saus, don't put in this many ingredi

• Members

View Post

On another note, you either pushed the brightness and contrast up on this photo, or that is a PERFECT example of good salmon and strawberries. love.gif

Didn't touch the pic, the berries were ripe and the salmon is wild... super red flesh (and tasty).

Archived