How to address wife about upcoming Axe-Fx purchase...

grwhitefan

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am married, and pay for everything...and because of that, I do what I want....
this whole topic doesn't hinge on 'getting one over on the wife'
but dumb ass husbands out buying guns, guitars, new cars, and toys, then struggling for rent money and bills, which does nothing other then piss off wives and girl friends..

Making a girlfriend or wife go through pain because you need a toy, to gamble, ect, is about the stupidest thing a guy can do in a relationship.

Trust me, they go out and buy what they want, makeup, purses, shoes, clothes, so you should be able to as well....just don't make her pay for your financial mismanagement and lack of earning power.

Why yes, yes it does.

When you pool your lives together, you should have the respect to say " Hey, I'm going to spend some of our community money on this piece of gear".

If everything is as cool as you say, then it won't be a problem.

A lot of guys try to hide {censored} from the wife, and then the woman gets angry on principle, because her husband is a deceiving sack of {censored}. Just be up front.

And if you're scared your wife will say "no", then one of two things needs to happen:

A.) Re-evaluate your financial priorities to align with your family's best interests

or if she's giving you a boiler plate no, and you can afford the gear:

B.) Get out of that relationship, because she is not respecting you as a man.

*IF* you have to "get one over on the wife" then it always boils down to the above. That's why "getting one over on the wife" is the problem for guy like above. In other words, it boils down entirely to a trust issue, and typically the couples with this problem are just masking problems left and right.

I let my wife know about every major gear purchase I'm going to make. Essentially anything more than $100 gets her OK. The only time she would tell me "no" is if we can't afford it, but at that point I wouldn't have asked her in the first place.

• Members
theres no way your wife is going to believe that an effects unit can take the place of a nice amp. sorry.
:)

Or even worse, after she listens to numerous online clips she says "I'm sorry, the amp modeling just doesn't sound $1,500 better than the POD and I doubt the audience will ever hear the difference."

• Members

I pay for all my gear purchases cash. Period. My wife and I split expenses at the end of the month, and whatever I have left over is mine. The only way that I would finance a purchase would be for a killer deal on a really cool vintage piece that I had been wanting for a while, and knew that I wouldn't see one like that again. Certainly not on a new technology piece that's value will drop 40% the second that I click the plastic.

• Members

Or even worse, after she listens to numerous online clips she says "I'm sorry, the amp modeling just doesn't sound $1,500 better than the POD and I doubt the audience will ever hear the difference."

The only wife who could EVER say that is Phatgirl or maybe Lita Ford.

• Members

This is a troll thread, right?

But seriously...you're going to ask a bunch of dudes online how you can con your wife into letting you over pay on a $2k piece of equipment? You realize you're gonna need a poweramp?

This thread is full of fail. Don't buy it. Don't spend you're end of year bonus before you get it. What if, god forbid. you lose your job between now and then?

I only run the CC if its some amazing deal that I've been looking for or can flip for profit super easy.

• Members

No loans EVER to buy gear. Not worth it.

As for having to ask the wife for permission, as far as my wife and I are concerned, we can do whatever the {censored} we want with our our money as long as all the monthly bills are paid and we're not individually broke for the rest of the month.

• Members

First off, I would never buy anything that you can't pay cash for. I put things on credit cards ONLY to get buyer protection and points. I always have the cash to buy/cover whatever it is. Second, tell your wife that it's either the AxeFx or you'll {censored} a girl from work. She can choose....

• Members

The Line 6 HD series is coming out next month and is supposed to be better than the Axe-Fx and is 1/3 the price.

problem solved.

(Ok, except for the part about it being better than the Axe-fx. That is just speculation)

If it is better, expect to see the value a used Axe-fx drop like a rock.

• Members

A lot of guys try to hide {censored} from the wife, and then the woman gets angry on principle, because her husband is a deceiving sack of {censored}. Just be up front.

*IF* you have to "get one over on the wife" then it always boils down to the above. That's why "getting one over on the wife" is the problem for guy like above. In other words, it boils down entirely to a trust issue, and typically the couples with this problem are just masking problems left and right.

I let my wife know about every major gear purchase I'm going to make. Essentially anything more than $100 gets her OK. The only time she would tell me "no" is if we can't afford it, but at that point I wouldn't have asked her in the first place.

LOL! THIS!!! I can't believe you actually typed up all of this incredibly sound logic. It's baffling but over 9000% true.

• Members

If you are capable of saving, then save your money.

If you are like most people, it will be difficult to save. Something I do, is a layaway at a guitar store, and do monthly payments until I can walk out with the gear, or just as store credit. But if you commit to gear, then there is a penalty if you cancel the buy - so it motivates you not to use that money.

Just an idea.

• Members

My wife told me several years ago that in light of the money she spends on her 33 year old horse, I shouldn't feel bad about spending $1200 or more quarterly on gear. Then that whole 22 months thing that I talked about in my other thread smacked me in the head. :facepalm:

The good news is that I'm pleased to not be in debt over my gear. I can also report that even mentioning the thought of attempting to spend savings/buffer money on a fancy new amplifier isn't a great idea, no matter how free-and-clear I saved for it. :lol:

• Members

I'll add a +1 to don't do it.

I don't buy ANYTHING on credit unless absolutely necessary.

Which, in my case = house.

That's it.

And be honest with your wife about it.

Don't buy toys if you have bills due (obviously)

I do some extra stuff on the side to earn money for gear, or whatever else I want to buy, that way I don't have to worry about it coming out of our regular budget.

• Members
I have $400 cash to put down on one, but will either have to take out a loan on the rest......or put onto a credit card. I'll have it paid off by the end of the year. She has access to (control over) the money market checks....we could just do this "write your own loan" thing against the money market, then pay back on a monthly basis. I have a year-end bonus coming up.

I'm hesitating bringing it up with her.
:confused:

I'm trying to figure out the best approach: to ask her if I could......or just tell her I'm doing it??

You married guys all know what I'm talking about.

If making a $2000 purchase requires that you take out a loan or do it on credit, you have no business making a $2000 purchase.

If you are confident you can pay off an inflated price in 6 months, then save the same money you would have paid on a credit card and buy the damn thing in 4-5 months outright.

Archived