The Universe Before the Big Bang Article

Ovid9

• Members

No, not the show.

I don't claim to know anything about theoretical physics. But this idea (distilled to idiot level for people like me) seems kinda cool.

Now they'll hash it out in terse journal submissions as to whether its correct or not! :cop:

http://io9.com/5694701/does-cosmic-background-radiation-reveal-the-universe-before-the-big-bang

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The greatest scientist that has ever lived on earth trying to figure out how the universe started, no matter who he or she may be, would be like a snail trying to build a rocket ship.

That sounds like I something I read in an email my grandmother forwarded me. :facepalm:

• Members

Kinda fits in with the M-theory or "membrane universe theory", too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory

This {censored} is so fascinating, it really makes me wish I'd have tried a lot harder in math in high school!
:lol:

Same here man. :lol:

I like that membrane universe stuff.

It makes some of my favorite SF stuff have at least a slim veneer of plausibility. :lol:

• Members

To my poor non-sciencey brain there is no real difference between magic and things like say quantum mechanics.

I love that gif.

quantum mechanics is definitely tedious mathematically, but the concepts are amazingly simple. that's how a lot of science is, really.

i will await more rigorous review of penrose's hypothesis, as i am patently unqualified to review it myself :thu:

• Members

To my poor non-sciencey brain there is no real difference between magic and things like say quantum mechanics.

I love that gif.

Well Einstein said something interesting about quantum mechanics

"No way would god would play such havoc with the universe"

Im sure i paraphrased it badly.. but you get the idea.. Einstein had trouble wrapping his mind around it.. I really have to re-watch that doc to get his quote accurately

EDIT

Actually I think it was God does not play dice with the universe even though.. the link said ,he said.. god does not through dice..

Here is a link I found too.. just famous quotes by physicist

http://www.rpi.edu/~schubert/Educational-resources/Quotes%20relating%20to%20engineering%20and%20science.pdf

• Members

No, not the show.

I don't claim to know anything about theoretical physics. But this idea (distilled to idiot level for people like me) seems kinda cool.

Now they'll hash it out in terse journal submissions as to whether its correct or not!
:cop:

http://io9.com/5694701/does-cosmic-background-radiation-reveal-the-universe-before-the-big-bang

The Hindus were right: Brahma sleeps, then wakes, then sleeps again; when Brahma's eyes are open, a universe comes into manifestation, and when Brahma rests, all things dissolve.

There, we finally got it sorted. :thu:

• Members

The universe is constantly expanding (energy for this is coming from within, I don't care how). There was no Big Bang - when the universe was that small, the rate of growth (time) was different than what we experience (and grew exponentially as the universe expanded), so when we look back at it, it looks like a sudden explosion. But since we're in it, it seems fluid, even though the same thing is happening now.

Just as the universe was once smaller than we can conceive, it will someday be so large as to pop into another plane itself. (Which will seem like a Big Bang to that plane's inhabitants).

• Members

Very interesting. Kinda goes along with the things I've read about theories on dark energy and the ever accelerating pace of expansion of the Universe. (Dark energy being the accelerating force that will eventually rip even the smallest particles apart).

• Members

Sometimes its like a bunch of dudes debating religions!

I've seen the same:

Ideology

Theory

Random proof commentary (with no supporting proof besides an equation or pages of them)

Butthurtz

Butthurtz

More Butthurtz

Scientific breakthrough evidence that doesn't really support either pov

Butthurtz

Butthurtz

lectures

Butthurtz

Butthurtz

Butthurtz

That's about the common cycle I've seen. :lol:

• Members

Sometimes its like a bunch of dudes debating religions!

I've seen the same:

Ideology

Theory

Random proof commentary (with no supporting proof besides an equation or pages of them)

Butthurtz

Butthurtz

More Butthurtz

Scientific breakthrough evidence that doesn't really support either pov

Butthurtz

Butthurtz

lectures

Butthurtz

Butthurtz

Butthurtz

That's about the common cycle I've seen.

That's pretty much how it's always been with science, philosophy, religion, politics and everything. :lol:

• Members

Man, this thread just gave me that wierd feeling I sometimes get that I'll try and probably fail to explain now:

I'm just sitting at my desk and it hits me. Does anyone ever get this sudden feeling that reality has just started, and it doesn't make any sense that there's something rather than nothing? Then you think about the things that matter to you - in my case music, my family, the life I've made for myself, and it's like you're accessing all those memories for the first time, like you've only just been placed into this quaint little universe where things make sense only because they are deemed to be so?

Like you've just woken up from a dream that makes so much more sense than real life but you can't remember a single thing about it.

:confused:

• Members

I'm not a scientist by any stretch, but the most logical explanations to me are that our universe was created out of the:

1. Collision of two bodies - universes, dimensions

or

2. The implosion of a former universe

So what collided to make those two bodies and/or former universe that our universe collided and/or imploded from?

• Members

Man, this thread just gave me that wierd feeling I sometimes get that I'll try and probably fail to explain now:

I'm just sitting at my desk and it hits me. Does anyone ever get this sudden feeling that reality has just started, and it doesn't make any sense that there's something rather than nothing? Then you think about the things that matter to you - in my case music, my family, the life I've made for myself, and it's like you're accessing all those memories for the first time, like you've only just been placed into this quaint little universe where things make sense only because they are deemed to be so?

Like you've just woken up from a dream that makes so much more sense than real life but you can't remember a single thing about it.

:confused:

To quote Morpheus, "I know exactly what you mean."

Seriously, mang, I have been there many times. :thu:

• Members

To the dude who said there was no big bang and the universe is just ever-expanding...

While that may be true, WHERE or WHAT is the universe expanding on/in? I mean, when we think of something expanding, it's expanding in the space around it...but as far as our brains can comprehend, the universe is "IT"...I mean, at least my brain, can't even fathom what may be beyond the universe, if anything...

I don't know, I'm just rambling...{censored} is fascinating.

Archived