The Universe Before the Big Bang Article

Ovid9

• Members

To the dude who said there was no big bang and the universe is just ever-expanding...

While that may be true, WHERE or WHAT is the universe expanding on/in? I mean, when we think of something expanding, it's expanding in the space around it...but as far as our brains can comprehend, the universe is "IT"...I mean, at least my brain, can't even fathom what may be beyond the universe, if anything...

I don't know, I'm just rambling...{censored} is fascinating.

It's not rambling- it's just common sense to me. I hear this stuff all the time also but considering we have no way/ability to fully measure and comprehend the size and time considerations it takes to "get the picture" of the universe, this is just a quirky catch-phrase that catches on a people spout time to time it seems.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So what collided to make those two bodies and/or former universe that our universe collided and/or imploded from?

We will never know, unfortunately.

There are so many crazy aspects of physics. Time, for example. Time bends around gravitational pull, but why? Time to me has always been a human constraint assigned to the distance between to points of an occurrence.

In addition, to get metaphysical, say the earth is but an electron in our bodies. Our bodies would then be as vast as the universe. As we would be infinitely small, we would have no concept of the whole body, just that it seems infinitely large. With that, perhaps we are one of 100's of millions of universes.

Again though, we will never know.

• Members

There are so many crazy aspects of physics. Time, for example. Time bends around gravitational pull, but why? Time to me has always been a human constraint assigned to the distance between to points of an occurrence.

well.. space time is considered to be intertwined and Einstein said that time is NOT constant but changes..The perception of time is constant... Time is constant was Newtonian thinking and Einstein theorized with some calculations that TIME slows down, the closer it approached the speed of light..BTW.. This has also been proven via a rocket/atomic clock and an atomic clock on earth.. they are compared and the one in the rocket will be off buy a very small amount BUT be of none the less.. Time Travel in a manner of speaking , even ifs only for a few micro or nano seconds

Actually time bends around a large mass that exerts the gravitational pull I believe.. called the Doppler effect .. Could be wrong here though.. Im no theoretical physicist

EDIT.....I meant light would bend.. time would just get slower it approached something massive..

• Members
Man, this thread just gave me that wierd feeling I sometimes get that I'll try and probably fail to explain now:

I'm just sitting at my desk and it hits me. Does anyone ever get this sudden feeling that reality has just started, and it doesn't make any sense that there's something rather than nothing? Then you think about the things that matter to you - in my case music, my family, the life I've made for myself, and it's like you're accessing all those memories for the first time, like you've only just been placed into this quaint little universe where things make sense only because they are deemed to be so?

Like you've just woken up from a dream that makes so much more sense than real life but you can't remember a single thing about it.

:confused:

I often do this, and I also often have these kinds of feelings, but I also sometimes feel like I am an "alien" to everything I thought I "know". I'll be sitting talking to my wife, looking at her, listening to her, enjoying her company and get all deep in thought about it and think how little we truly know each other, or more specifically each other's minds...Like how foreign our inner thoughts are to each other, that we are strangers to the "stranger within"...Then sometimes it seems like we can read each other's minds, even when we are far apart. She'll come home from somewhere or I'll come home from work and she or I will start on a topic completely unrelate to days events or plans or anything and we both just stare at each other in amazement that we shared this common/foreign thought...I do all this with my kids, too.

I know it's slightly OT to the thread, but in a way I find all of it connected...I love stuff like this...space/time/mind/body/spirit/reality/life/consciousness.

• Members

To me time is a dimension through which all movement happens. (The three other dimensions being those that define the shape and size of objects). The speed of this movement in relation to the speed of our capasity of perception is "time" as we perceive it. Just my way of thinking about it.

-> Time = Speed A in relation to speed B

• Members
Man, this thread just gave me that wierd feeling I sometimes get that I'll try and probably fail to explain now:

I'm just sitting at my desk and it hits me. Does anyone ever get this sudden feeling that reality has just started, and it doesn't make any sense that there's something rather than nothing? Then you think about the things that matter to you - in my case music, my family, the life I've made for myself, and it's like you're accessing all those memories for the first time, like you've only just been placed into this quaint little universe where things make sense only because they are deemed to be so?

Like you've just woken up from a dream that makes so much more sense than real life but you can't remember a single thing about it.

:confused:

It's possibly the realization of the separation of self and the projected self that we often go through life thinking we are, which in fact is only an affect thereof.

• Members

In addition, to get metaphysical, say the earth is but an electron in our bodies. Our bodies would then be as vast as the universe. As we would be infinitely small, we would have no concept of the whole body, just that it seems infinitely large. With that, perhaps we are one of 100's of millions of universes.

Again though, we will never know.

Exactly. We could be the spot in of dust in Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who and that's all the reality we know. In fact, our whole universe could be that spot of dust for all we know. Time doesn't mean anything more that a man made way to measure passing events. What is a million years to us could be just a blink to another entity. We will never have a grasp of the big picture. Our minds are too small.

We could be the ants an alien's science project, here strictly for their amusement.

• Members

It's possibly the realization of the separation of self and the projected self that we often go through life thinking we are, which in fact is only an affect thereof.

So, are you saying that rather than saying one is accessing these memories for the first time, you are actually "seeing your true self" at that moment?

• Members

To me time is a dimension through which all movement happens. (The three other dimensions being those that define the shape and size of objects). The speed of this movement in relation to the speed of our capasity of perception is "time" as we perceive it. Just my way of thinking about it.

-> Time = Speed A in relation to speed B

i.e. Relative velocity is the correct term, I believe

This is all true but what about the other 6.. (cough) 7 dimensions

Yep.. they are now believed to be 11 dimensions... What they are.. I can not say.. Not enough drugs in the world for me to grasp this

• Members

So, are you saying that rather than saying one is accessing these memories for the first time, you are actually "seeing your true self" at that moment?

maybe a glimpse of it, at least (provided I'm understanding him correctly, which is another avenue in itself). some would say that seeing one's true self in it's totality is impossible.

• Members
I often do this, and I also often have these kinds of feelings, but I also sometimes feel like I am an "alien" to everything I thought I "know". I'll be sitting talking to my wife, looking at her, listening to her, enjoying her company and get all deep in thought about it and think how little we truly know each other, or more specifically each other's minds...Like how foreign our inner thoughts are to each other, that we are strangers to the "stranger within"...Then sometimes it seems like we can read each other's minds, even when we are far apart. She'll come home from somewhere or I'll come home from work and she or I will start on a topic completely unrelate to days events or plans or anything and we both just stare at each other in amazement that we shared this common/foreign thought...I do all this with my kids, too.

I know it's slightly OT to the thread, but in a way I find all of it connected...I love stuff like this...space/time/mind/body/spirit/reality/life/consciousness.

+1 :thu:

• Members
maybe a glimpse of it, at least (provided I'm understanding him correctly, which is another avenue in itself). some would say that seeing one's true self in it's totality is impossible.

Perhaps, then, it's more of a fleeting confrontation with the fact that there even *is* such a thing as a "true self"...? :idk:

• Members

Dont start with this pseudo-dualist proto-solipsistic stuff

You'll get Drealyc started

That cant end well

(You know I love you really, dre :love:)

• Members

I think that has somewhat to do with ego and projected self. Ego is a distraction from the present moment. Thoughts are "objects" for the ego to attach to and we all attach to different things relevant to how we've been conditioned (and we are all conditioned). The problem is when one person thinks their version is the correct one. But when in flow or "in the moment," we aren't trying to control our world with our thought schemas and our true self is able to operate and we are amazed at how effortless things are then at that point (without realizing why). It's often a vacillation of ego that changes our perceptions more so than things actually changing themselves.

• Members
I think that has somewhat to do with ego and projected self. Ego is a distraction from the present moment. Thoughts are "objects" for the ego to attach to and we all attach to different things relevant to how we've been conditioned (and we are
all
conditioned). The problem is when one person thinks their version is the correct one. But when in flow or "in the moment," we aren't trying to control our world with our thought schemas and our true self is able to operate and we are amazed at how effortless things are then at that point (without realizing why). It's often a vacillation of ego that changes our perceptions more so than things actually changing themselves.

Well said, imo, spoonie. :thu:

• Members
Perhaps, then, it's more of a fleeting confrontation with the fact that there even *is* such a thing as a "true self"...?
:idk:

well, that's getting into semantics i think. i think it's rather pointing to the fact that everything is interconnected, which does beg the question. but, in "true self" i mean the self unhindered by counterfactual thinking and projection into the future, but rather self in flow, i.e., in the moment.

Archived