The Universe Before the Big Bang Article

Ovid9

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Gotta dig deep, young Jedi.
:thu:

Well, I was at work, I don't do my best thinking there. Its all wasted on pondering how stupid our service department is and how much money they don't make each month they could if they weren't run by an imbecile. :cop:

And now I'm drinking crappy alkyhall.

I'll give this thread a go tomorrow again. :thu:

• Members

lol I love how these threads always turn into pseudo-philosophical discussions.

I really am interested to see though in the future what develops from this (scientifically).

"That which mingles these pure principles with the empirical does not deserve the name of philosophy (for what distinguishes philosophy from common rational knowledge is that it treats in separate sciences what the latter only comprehends confusedly)"

-Immanuel Kant

• Members

The universe is constantly expanding (energy for this is coming from within, I don't care how). There was no Big Bang - when the universe was that small, the rate of growth (time) was different than what we experience (and grew exponentially as the universe expanded), so when we look back at it, it looks like a sudden explosion. But since we're in it, it seems fluid, even though the same thing is happening now.

Just as the universe was once smaller than we can conceive, it will someday be so large as to pop into another plane itself. (Which will seem like a Big Bang to that plane's inhabitants).

I've been thinking exactly along those lines lately. Is there some litterature which expands on this?

• Members
"That which mingles these pure principles with the empirical does not deserve the name of philosophy (for what distinguishes philosophy from common rational knowledge is that it treats in separate sciences what the latter only comprehends confusedly)"

-Immanuel Kant

mmmmmm, Kant. I remember being 19,and totally fascinated by Kant.

I was so over my head in that class. :lol:

• Members
mmmmmm, Kant. I remember being 19,and totally fascinated by Kant.

I was so over my head in that class.
:lol:

I've taken a couple philosophy classes just to burn some credits as I finish up my degree and Kant is without a doubt my favorite. Granted his time was long before what we call modern science, but I still feel that his ideas are still very relevant.

• Members
I've taken a couple philosophy classes just to burn some credits as I finish up my degree and Kant is without a doubt my favorite. Granted his time was long before what we call modern science, but I still feel that his ideas are still very relevant.

eudamonia will pry destroy us both, but Kant struck me as pretty interesting. I should try and read some more of his stuff now.

I like Kierkegaard as well, though I'm not really an existentialist, he had some interesting ideas in the one work of his I read. (And various blurbs commenting on his stuff. :lol: )

• Members
eudamonia will pry destroy us both, but Kant struck me as pretty interesting. I should try and read some more of his stuff now.

I like Kierkegaard as well, though I'm not really an existentialist, he had some interesting ideas in the one work of his I read. (And various blurbs commenting on his stuff.
:lol:
)

Neither am I, and I think existentialism is just an excuse for a lack of accountability, but the more outlandish the empiricists get makes me wonder. I've never read any Kierkegaard myself, but maybe it's time. Like you said it is always "interesting" to look at different ideas and if nothing else to broaden your horizons.

• Members
Well, I was at work, I don't do my best thinking there. Its all wasted on pondering how stupid our service department is and how much money they don't make each month they could if they weren't run by an imbecile.
:cop:

And now I'm drinking crappy alkyhall.

I'll give this thread a go tomorrow again.

Totally understand. I 'uz jus' funnin' ya. ;)

Fwiw, when the idiot-quotient at work seems to be rising critical levels, I just remind myself of this little tidbit o' wisdom: "It's as bad as you think, and they *are* out to get you."

Really puts it all in perspective, ya? :D

• Members
Neither am I, and I think existentialism is just an excuse for a lack of accountability, but the more outlandish the empiricists get makes me wonder. I've never read any Kierkegaard myself, but maybe it's time. Like you said it is always "interesting" to look at different ideas and if nothing else to broaden your horizons.

The one entire Kierkegaard book I've read is "Purity of the Heart is to Will the Good" I think it was called.

Really interesting to me as I try and follow Christ. I don't think he's just a read for Xstians though. It was just interesting what I remember now. And it started to influence how I viewed my life/faith since.

Honestly, I think if more people, of all beliefs or non-beliefs attempted to "will" the greater good, the world would be a better place. :lol:

• Members
Totally understand. I 'uz jus' funnin' ya.
;)

Fwiw, when the idiot-quotient at work seems to be rising critical levels, I just remind myself of this little tidbit o' wisdom: "It's as bad as you think, and they *are* out to get you."

Really puts it all in perspective, ya?
:D

Oh god yeah. When the manager of the department that is correllated to your's is a complete and total moron,you start to get concerned.

WHen he also doesn't believe in such things as "personal accountability" you aren't only concerned you get freakin PARANOID! :eek:

*hopes his ass is going down in the next 12 months though*

He hasn't learned that accounting tricks =/= profitability. :lol:

• Members

Dude, yikes! :eek: Mojo sent.

Btw, I also dig what I've read of Kant & Kierkegaard. :thu: Hegel is pretty cool, too, imo (before Marx gets ahold of him!)... but my all time favorite to date is the Man: Plato. Set aside the fascist proclivities, though; in other words, don't read him politically, but rather metaphysically. Great stuff, especially from a Christian perspective. :thu:

• Members
Dude, yikes!
:eek:
Mojo sent.

Btw, I also dig what I've read of Kant & Kierkegaard.
Hegel is pretty cool, too, imo (before Marx gets ahold of him!)... but my all time favorite to date is the Man: Plato. Set aside the fascist proclivities, though; in other words, don't read him politically, but rather metaphysically. Great stuff, especially from a Christian perspective.

Plato is some interesting stuff. I think the problem I've always had with him, from an Xstian perspective, is the dualism that got introduced early in the game.

Seperating the soul from the body. Of course, me and my ex spent many a night in college struggling with tha tissue for one of her philosophy courses. Which was taught by a hippy existentialist. :lol:

I should read more philosophy. Even if I don't "get" it....its still good for me to read stuff that makes me really think.

Hegel, I didn't get AT ALL in college. I think I might get him a tiny bit more now that I've "lived" a little.

Also, thanks for the mojo. I dream of the day I'm running a parts department or parts & service and can try to sink or swim on my own merits. The dude is.....well, it shows what happens when you promote asskissers. :lol:

Archived