Hardest job in a band

jenksdrummer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Wow... man, your singer and I would have some very
loud
words over {censored}ing with my {censored} behind my back!
:lol:

+1.. Damn.. I would go nuclear over {censored} like that.....id be like "The singer did WHAAAATT!!!.. AHH hell no" :thu: People around me know i can have a very short fuse at times and can go from mild mannered,. easy going to don't give a {censored} in record time

• Members
I got the issue resolved with my bass player last night, so I'm fine with sticking with my band (thanks for asking!)

Anyhow, something came up in conversation last night...

In a band, who has the hardest job?

Guitar

Bass

Drums

Singer

I ask this, because from his perspective, that's the order of who's got the hardest job in learning covers.

According to him:

drums are easiest because I never practice. I can listen to a song and fake it. Bass is next easiest because he can follow root notes, but it's also got some bass lines there that have to be done right. Guitars has the hardest job, in that they have to carry the melody and do guitar solos and so on. He doesn't count singers, because you're either born with the ability/talent to sing or not - but...there are exceptions that someone can be molded into a singer and do well with some effort/training.

Basically that because I'm the drummer in this band, that I don't have a whole hell of a lot of say, musically speaking...that if I wanted to "step up" I could switch to guitar. I found that statement funny...

I also disagreed with him that drums are the easiest - they are by far the most physically demanding instrument to play - it uses your entire body (and mind) to play drums and play them at a high level...and I've got over 15 years involved with being a drummer, and that's why I can listen to a song and know how to play it without ever having practiced it. I switched from guitar because I lack the patience to learn a song note for note...and when it comes to solos that I lose track of what they are playing, and because I don't know enough theory, I'm unable to wing it much more than a basic hack could do. That, and I knew I could land a gig being a drummer (because I was pretty good years before), and guitarists are a dime a dozen...and I wasn't going to sing, or play bass.

I didn't say that drums were the easiest or the hardest, but that everyone has a job to do and they all can be the hardest or the easiest given the song...(but overall, bass players have it pretty easy!
;)
)

So, what's your take - most people here are guitarists, so it'll be interesting to have that perspective.

SHUT THE {censored} UP

• Members

my take on it typically is this, hardest to easiest

guitar
drums
bass
vocals

i sing play guitar, drums, and bass. this is just typically however every song differs and there are songs where any of these given jobs can be the hardest/most important. but personally i get more worked up playin guitar or singing than playing drums unless im goin hard on the double bass so it also depends on what style of music u play. metal the drummer definatly gets one of the top two spots.

• Members
Show up to practice next time and have him do that with Stone Sour's "Say You'll Haunt Me", then post about how he played it identically.

Tell me that the guitar part is harder than the drums. Hell, the bass part is harder than the guitar part.

And yes it's a song we're playing, and playing well.

I posted Mother as an example only because I remembered I was to study that song and I'd been putting it off...it was the first thing that hit me...and yet, even though it's a weak example, it's still an example. MY POINT being that I can know the fill inside and out in my head, but until I physically go through it, it's a toss up on if I'll play it right from the get-go. I also have two kits, and while I have them set up similarly, there are significant differences in the feel of each kit to where it throws me a bit off switching between them for those times when I do practice at home. I'm quicker on my home kit than I am with my band kit, for example. The Cymbal sizes/weights are different...think of going from 11's on a strat with a floyd and locking nut, to 9's on a les paul. Sure you can hit the notes, but you just feel "off" when you play the same things and have to adjust your playing to compensate. I hate compensating, and as a drummer that can result in something throwing me a bit off.

Sure, any bloke can sit behind a kit and put down a stupid-simple drum beat. It takes a lot more do to anything more than that.

Another song we're doing is Snortin' Wiskey, Drinking Cocaine - I'm having trouble doing the transition from the solo bit to the double-bass after it...that's something I have to practice...and can't do "air drums" - simply because of the physics involved. I have to have that bass drum (on that kit, with those pedals) to get used to it, as well as everything else.

First, I'd rather kill myself than play anything by Stone Sour. ;)

Second, like I said, I meant no disrespect. Sure, there are songs that are harder on drums or bass than guitar. But for the most part, simply put...they're not. Most rock on the drums is a simple beat, with some fills thrown in. Obviously some bands are different, and they focus more on complex drums. And yes, I know the feel of the kit is different, however, that has nothing to do with learning the song, or being able to practice it. You get what I'm sayin'?

• Members

my take on it typically is this, hardest to easiest

guitar

drums

bass

vocals

i sing play guitar, drums, and bass. this is just typically however every song differs and there are songs where any of these given jobs can be the hardest/most important. but personally i get more worked up playin guitar or singing than playing drums unless im goin hard on the double bass so it also depends on what style of music u play. metal the drummer definatly gets one of the top two spots.

some of the best (not all) metal drummers barely break a sweat. Gene Hoglan for instance. the new guy with Gorguts looks weird because he looks like he could make a sammich while he's playing, effortless.

double bass definitely requires some stamina, and strength.

• Members

It depends on the band I think... Not all bands have music that requires Neil Peart and his 150 piece kit. Not all bands need Steve Vai on guitar...

I mean think about it, U2 gets by with the Edge. The Beatles got by with Ringo. Metallica earns mega millions rolling out Hetfield on vocals. A lot of bands get by with bass players no one gives a {censored} about.

:idk:

Hardest job in the band? Band leader.

• Members
It depends on the band I think... Not all bands have music that requires Neil Peart and his 150 piece kit. Not all bands need Steve Vai on guitar...

I mean think about it, U2 gets by with the Edge. The Beatles got by with Ringo. Metallica earns mega millions rolling out Hetfield on vocals. A lot of bands get by with bass players no one gives a {censored} about.

:idk:

Hardest job in the band? Band leader.

Ok, I can definitely get on board with that.

Organizing practices, making sure people show up on time for gigs, running sound, booking, settling disputes, making setlists, printing and delivering flyers, extra hours put in at shows...sucks.

• Members

Depends entirely on how you play.

Face it, everyone on stage is moving LESS than the drummer, unless you've got a singer that moves around a lot...or your whole band is doing the 80's music video thing all the time - then I would say that's physically more demanding...

i find singing to be WAY more physically demanding than playing drums! not only am i a sweaty mess after singing a set, but my vocal chords NEED a break. i've never felt that way on drums, in fact i'd play drums all night if it was feasible.

in response to:

"my take on it typically is this, hardest to easiest

guitar

drums

bass

vocals"

i would ask, Why are there so many guitarists and so few (good) bassists and singers?

• Members

Here's the thing.....If you think ANYONE in the band has an easier job than anyone else, you're missing the point. EVERYONE has an important role in the band. When I'm recording though I usually mainly worry about 2 things, drums and vocals. People don't know {censored} about guitar tone, blah blah blah. They want a beat they can dance or nod to and something they can sing along with. These are facts.

I think everyone plays a part in making everything else better. I've had insane technically gifted bassists and drummers and I've had bare bones basic bassists and drummers. I've worked with strictly rhythm less than steller guitarists and shredtacular virtuosos. At the end of the day, people don't give a {censored} who's doing what..they only care about whether or not the song is good or bad. EVERYONE contributes to that.

• Members

jenks, from what you've said on the drum forum it sounds like that bass player is a real goof.

I generally agree with your initial post though about the difficulty between instruments though, I can't help but to think guitar and drums are fairly even in difficulty but each in their own way. In a sense, even you said guitar is harder (for you at least) because of the solos, theory and what not. That being said, I concur that drums are probably more physically demanding due to using all of your body and having to be co-ordinated but, guitar is much less forgiving if you screw up and again with the whole knowing theory thing - thus why I prefer to play drums, it just comes more naturally to some of us than guitar.

Bass..you can just mix it out :lol: but seriously, a good bass player can be just as diverse as a good guitarist.

• Members
Drummer works the hardest for sure
:snax:

Also, have you ever had a complaining drummer? I haven't and I imagine it would be hell if someone did...

actually, the drummers in my bands have been the biggest complainer/prima donnas. Fortunately they all made up for it by being good musicians with a grasp on the overall sound of the product.

• Members

I say the dude writing the songs. Mostly 'cause of the frustration at times. It's hard to have a song in your head, relay it to 2-4 other people, adjust it to their input and still come out with a decent product.

If you're talking strictly gig night, the dude who's trying to wrangle cash out of the venue. I swear, you need the jaws of life sometimes just to get your bar tab out of 'em.

Archived