Buying a band trailer

SexWithRobots

• Members

My band is playing lots of shows now and we really need a trailer. Anyone have suggestions where to look for something that isn't too expensive? Craigslist just seemed like a sea of {censored}. I live in chicago so anything within a 100 mile radius would be nice, also looking to try and spend no more than $500 for something used and big enough to haul our gear.

• Members

It can be done for the 500 bucks range, if you can deal with a smaller trailer.

My old band started out with a 4x6.

It had to be packed very precisely, but we could fit everything in it if it was packed just right.

Couldn't fit luggage or a sound system in it though, we eventually went bigger just so we would have the space, and the nice door that folds down into a ramp. That was much more than 500 bucks though. :)

• Members

damn they've gotten more expensive :eek: I can't find anything in my area worth having for 500 bucks. To be fair, this was a while back.

and as I mentioned, we couldn't get a PA in there. Thankfully we didn't need it, original band not cover band. Fit 2 4x12's, 4x10 bass amp, 2 heads, 4 guitars, 2 basses, and full drum kit in it.

Like I said, we had to carefully plan how to pack it, but we did it.

• Members

Definitely consider renting unless you're going to be doing several shows/month that would require a trailer. A good one, 5x8, even used, will run $800 and up, at least around where I live. Plus factor in who's going to pull it, who's going to keep it, maintenance, etc. It can get to be a pain.

• Members

Theres no such thing as a trustworthy $500 enclosed trailer imo. We spent $2k on our 5x7 . It was new though. In the long run , you will be better off spending a little bit more and get something that is reliable.

Ya no {censored}. Spend $500 on a trailer and watch 10K in band equipment go flying down the highway.

• Members

Yeah, watch the cheap trailers. My buddies bought a trailer for $400 before hitting the road two summers ago. On the highway, the linkage that held the trailer to the tow ball broke, and the trailer went careening across two lanes, hit the median, and flipped.

Needless to say, that tour ended early.

• Members

Yeah, watch the cheap trailers. My buddies bought a trailer for $400 before hitting the road two summers ago. On the highway, the linkage that held the trailer to the tow ball broke, and the trailer went careening across two lanes, hit the median, and flipped.

Needless to say, that tour ended early.

:facepalm::eek::cry::cry::cry: Poor dudes. That must have felt like dog shit.

• Members

Renting a trailer is nice, except:

1. Someone has to take off early from work always to go pick it up.

2. Someone has to go return it during work hours, which is more time off work.

3. Never guaranteed to have one avail when you need it.

• Members

Our first trailer was pretty small, we paid $700, and we got what we paid for. It was a major peice of {censored}, belonged to a construction worker previously, so it was dirty, dinged to {censored}, the thing was filled with random screws, who knows where they were falling out from. Eventually one of the tires flew off while we were in Oklahoma.

If you can, spend the money. If you're playing weekends, I'd say rent.

• Members

Renting is a pain as stated above. Budget $1500 and then start looking! Don't forget, you have to have something to pull it with. Keeping all your equipment in one trailer is wonderful but music gear isn't light. The weight can get out of hand quickly if your not careful.

• Members

Renting is a pain as stated above. Budget $1500 and then start looking! Don't forget, you have to have something to pull it with. Keeping all your equipment in one trailer is wonderful but music gear isn't light. The weight can get out of hand quickly if your not careful.

Yup- if you're me with an Expedition and a trailer hitch, then well... :lol:

Guess who gets nominated!

• Members

I just thought there would be more people trying to get rid of one a little cheaper. My uncle is also a mechanic and a welder so I'm not worried about it falling apart I just need to find one that's cheap

you will regret this. It's one of the most popular pieces of advice... everyone knows. You don't ever skimp on a trailer man. What do you even mean not worried about it falling apart? Your uncle may be able to weld something back together, but you won't really care about that when all of your gear is in pieces along the highway.

• Members
My band is playing lots of shows now and we really need a trailer. Anyone have suggestions where to look for something that isn't too expensive? Craigslist just seemed like a sea of {censored}. I live in chicago so anything within a 100 mile radius would be nice, also looking to try and spend no more than $500 for something used and big enough to haul our gear.

the thing about decent enclosed trailers is that they bring almost as much used as new. Very good resale value. I was lucky to get my 5x8 on closeout from a farm/home business that was getting out of the trailer business. Got it for $1299 new. Pretty small, but between that and my full-sized Ford van I can haul all the PA, lighting, and my personal guitar gear.

• Members
you will regret this. It's one of the most popular pieces of advice... everyone knows. You don't ever skimp on a trailer man. What do you even mean not worried about it falling apart? Your uncle may be able to weld something back together, but you won't really care about that when all of your gear is in pieces along the highway.[/quote

I think you just misunderstood what I meant. Of course I would be worried about it falling apart, I just meant I would have it looked it and made sure it was in good working order.

• Members

If you don't play too often it might be better to just rent a U-Haul trailer when you need it. I think it's like $20.

This. My band did this for several months in summer 09 and on tour this summer, I think with the 5x10. We're going on a 2 week tour in February, but we're buying our own before then.

Archived