White Stripes call it quits.

uppercasenoises

• Members
Those two went out each night with no set list and just rocked with emotion. Something you tools won't understand.

I love the Raconteurs but the WHite Stripes are where it's at. Listen to their live stuff. Amazing.

That's just it. Like the White Stripes' music or not, you have to respect what they were doing. Raw emotion and spontaneity in music is too rare nowadays.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But it's not always 'relying'. It inspires creativity for many players. It brings about new ideas. It can cause people to approach the instrument in ways they might not have before.

If it doesn't work for Jack, good for him. But he acted like others were wrong and lesser musicians for not finding inspiration in the same ways as him. That's douchebaggery.
:cop:

It's not douchebaggery when he's right. :cop:

I think the edge sucks. I hate U2, but gotta give the man credit for spreading that trash around.

Anyway, I hadn't been inspired in quite some time to play guitar until I got in to the White Stripes. I doubted for a long time, then I finally got it. The guy is a musical genius. I think some people get too wrapped up in their gear, tone, perfect arpeggios, perfect playing, etc and forget how to just emote with a Gotdamn instrument. That's the key, man. This {censored} isn't a competition, but instead a way to convey emotion. Listen to him play. It sounds authentic and he's just putting it out there because it's what he wanted to do. No excuses, no pandering, and no overthinking.

I got tired of conventional cookie cutter crap. Hard rock these days is so cookie cutter, and everything is about some tough guy, generic bull{censored} written in a studio and taught to some zakky vengeance lookalike. Jack gets angry, but he also gets happy, sad, etc and the music matches the mood. It is what it is.

• Members

It's not douchebaggery when he's right.
:cop:

I think the edge sucks. I hate U2, but gotta give the man credit for spreading that trash around.

Anyway, I hadn't been inspired in quite some time to play guitar until I got in to the White Stripes. I doubted for a long time, then I finally got it. The guy is a musical genius. I think some people get too wrapped up in their gear, tone, perfect arpeggios, perfect playing, etc and forget how to just emote with a Gotdamn instrument. That's the key, man. This {censored} isn't a competition, but instead a way to convey emotion. Listen to him play. It sounds authentic and he's just putting it out there because it's what he wanted to do. No excuses, no pandering, and no overthinking.

I got tired of conventional cookie cutter crap. Hard rock these days is so cookie cutter, and everything is about some tough guy, generic bull{censored} written in a studio and taught to some zakky vengeance lookalike. Jack gets angry, but he also gets happy, sad, etc and the music matches the mood. It is what it is.

Normally I'd argue, but I like you too much, Dave. :o:lol:

• Members

I'll have to remember that one. I read the piece in Guitar Player about the "It Might Get Loud" documentary that put me off to even watching it. When they coined Jimmy Page, The Fail, and Jack off White, as the "Three most influencial guitarists in Rock". First off, back in the day(the 70s) I liked Richie Blackmore, and Ted Nugent way more than Page. I've never really liked U2, although I do think The Fail's tone was alright back in the 80s&90s, and Jack White...well...well...influential?????? There were so many guitaists that have inspired me to play, and not one of them is mentioned in It Might Get Deluded..aHHEeemm, Loud....

Three most influential? Uhhh, I don't see Ace Frehley, EVH, or Randy Rhoads listed ANYWHERE...

• Members

Your fail is creeping up, Sheik.

I forgive you for the May-suh most days, as well as your normal bad taste in generic hard rock. But this... Sir, I'm revoking your rock and roll card. Enjoy your tribal tattoo music and Mesa shrine to douchebaggy nu-metal.

Were you wearing a scarf & louvered shades when you wrote that? :o

Enjoy your Rolling Stone subscription and sub-mongoloid taste in macaroni-duck 'tard rock. :wave:

• Members

this kinda wraps it up, far as i'm concerned. if it doesn't make you respect him... your loss. i had the exact same response to son house when i heard him 20 some years ago.

Nothing wrong with being influenced by the roots and having your own specific vision of creative expression, but it's hard to respect him when he acts like he's above others and is more "true" of an artist for it. Ah, pretentiousness at its finest.

I like you a lot, too (damnit, why do my favorite people gotta be the ones arguin' with me? :o), but I gotta say...you kinda fell on your point a little bit. "I had the exact same response...when I heard him". If not for that, would that video clip influence your respect for Jack at all? Because it doesn't for me. All it does for me is indicate that he has a favorite song. Good for him. Is my respect for someone supposed to increase because they have a favorite song?

• Members

Nothing wrong with being influenced by the roots and having your own specific vision of creative expression, but it's hard to respect him when he acts like he's above others and is more "true" of an artist for it. Ah, pretentiousness at its finest.

{censored}ing this, I'll never forget a interview I read in a guitar mag a long time where he was talking about his new les paul having no soul. I guess you have to have piece of {censored} gear from sears to play the basterdized blues.

• Members

I like you a lot, too (damnit, why do my favorite people gotta be the ones arguin' with me?
:o
), but I gotta say...you kinda fell on your point a little bit. "I had the exact same response...when I heard him". If not for that, would that video clip influence your respect for Jack at all? Because it doesn't for me. All it does for me is indicate that he has a favorite song. Good for him. Is my respect for someone supposed to increase because they have a favorite song?

If you think all he's trying to express in that vid is "this is my favorite song" you're very much missing the point.

I don't find this a bummer, I dig the stripes but this is fine. I think Jack White is {censored}ing awesome and regardless of what bands he is in he will continue to do cool {censored}. Dude has a creative mind, plenty of drive, and enjoys the {censored} out of music, thats all it takes really IMO. :idk:

• Members

If you think all he's trying to express in that vid is "this is my favorite song" you're very much missing the point.

I don't find this a bummer, I dig the stripes but this is fine. I think Jack White is {censored}ing awesome and regardless of what bands he is in he will continue to do cool {censored}. Dude has a creative mind, plenty of drive, and enjoys the {censored} out of music, thats all it takes really IMO.
:idk:

I get the point. "This song is raw and expresses emotion in a purer form than anything I've heard before, and it is an influence in the way I wish to express my own emotions...

...and if you don't feel the same way about it (and music in general) that I do, then you're not a true, legit artist like me." :rolleyes:

• Members

I get the point. "This song is raw and expresses emotion in a purer form than anything I've heard before, and it is an influence in the way I wish to express my own emotions...

...and if you don't feel the same way about it that I do, then you're not a true, legit artist like me."
:rolleyes:

I don't really get the second part of that man.

I can see how it can be interpreted that way but the dude is humble when it comes to dealing with Jimmy and The Fail.

Can't blame a guy for turning himself up to 11. Sure he can come off as pretentious sometimes, but {censored} it I think he has the right to be especially considering the type of music he has to contend with.

Archived