Favorite speaker for clean tones?

Dave L

• Members

Just about all Alnicos are absolutely gorgeous for cleans. They really put ceramics to shame but at the same time they also put your wallet to shame. I was lucky enough to find some really old Philips 5200's inside of my Gibson 2x12 that remind me of a Blue/V30.

On the other hand, my ceramic favorite for cleans both warm and crisp would have to be the G12H or The Eminence Wizard (clone)

IMO, the inherit sharpness and consequent chime is the closet to Alnico that I've heard. But I don't like the lead tone. The next best speaker would have to be the G1265/ET-65. Those have 'that' warmth necessary for great alnico cleans but also have a soaring lead tone.

In other words: G12H-rhythm: G1265-lead.

I also have two Jensen C12N type Kendrick speakers. Their cleans have far more treble and presence than any British voiced speaker I've heard. They are an entirely different voicing that don't go very well with amps that don't sound like a fender.

• Members

looks like steve lukather uses g12h30's:

from an interview in performing musician: PM: Are your wet cabs guitar speakers or full-range PA-type speakers?

SL: "The speakers are all 30W Celestions, which are my old favourite workhorses. They have always sounded good and I've never blown one up."

• Members

Reverend Alltone, if you can get one. The Weber Sig12B is purported to be pretty much identical and reasonably priced.

Ive heard this too. At 50 bucks its not a big risk either.

For cleans ive been pretty impressed with teh 70/80s in my crate rfx200s, not sure if its the amp or the speakers though. Other than that i love EVM12L's for cleans.

Archived