What Whiskey Are You Drinking?

.homewrecker.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Trying this one for the first time. Matured half in the traditional ex-whisky barrels, half in the ex-Sherry butts that seem to be all the rage the last few years. I like the mix: it's dark and quite sweet, with some spicy end notes.

7168348684_cc7ae68079_b.jpg

• Members

I also drank this yesterday:

Screen-shot-2011-01-03-at-7.01.33-PM-791

It's good but I'll never drink more than 4-5 fingers at a time, of it again.

This is basically moonshine with fancy ingredients. The 'rested for 72 hours in uncharred Minnesota oak' comment makes me :lol: .

All whisk(e)ys start clear like this....than they are aged in barrels where most of their flavor/color characteristics develop.

• Members

This is basically moonshine with fancy ingredients. The 'rested for 72 hours in uncharred Minnesota oak' comment makes me
:lol:

All whisk(e)ys start clear like this....than they are aged in barrels where most of their flavor/color characteristics develop.

Agreed on all points here. This is a genius move for distilleries, seeing how this is "rested" for three days rather than mellowed for 2 (or 5 or 8) years. Selling moonshine at whiskey prices = WIN for them.

HONEST TASTING NOTES: Burning in the nose, with hints of burning. Palate opens with burning, giving way to a touch of burning. Full, burning mouthfeel yields to long burning finish.

• Members
Trying this one for the first time. Matured half in the traditional ex-whisky barrels, half in the ex-Sherry butts that seem to be all the rage the last few years. I like the mix: it's dark and quite sweet, with some spicy end notes.

7168348684_cc7ae68079_b.jpg

Damn, this makes me want another glass of Aberlour A'bunadh. I went to lunch at the Irish Pub again today, where I order this. But, sucks to be at work and go in there, Im like a kid in a candy store with their 100+ bottle collection of single malts, and not able to have any!!! :(

• Members

that brings the lulz. Is it a "peppery" burn like Talisker, or just a kerosene burn? like, well, kerosene?
:)

Moonshine is very much the latter -- just alcohol burn.

Actually, Moonshine mixes well with tonic surprisingly. Virginia Lightning is readily accessible in my area.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by HottKarl

View Post

This is basically moonshine with fancy ingredients. The 'rested for 72 hours in uncharred Minnesota oak' comment makes me icon_lol.gif .

You're speaking as if that's a bad thing.

It's pretty good,and it's grain forward, like scotch, it's just raw as opposed to aged, but there's definite flavor in there and you can taste the difference between this and something that's 100%, or mostly corn like Georgia Moon. It's keeping a lot of start up distilleries afloat right now as they don't have to wait 3, 4, 5 years for their product to hit the market.

• Members

Had Deaths Door once...never again icon_lol.gif I had some Eagle Rare last week I really liked.

My favorite for the past few years has been Stranahans, but I can't bring myself to spend the $60 on it.

Grabbed a bottle of Jim Beam Devils Cut tonight. Had it a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by linthat22

View Post

Glenmorangie_Astar_pac_opt@feature.jpg

It's so good that even the wife enjoys it and that's saying something (she HATES whisky)

nice... i have to see if i can find that.... 100% proof... sounds like fun!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkro

View Post

walker.jpg

Just got another bottle of this

a nice casual whisky smile.gif

Nicely done, my friend. Hard to believe that the Black Label didn't get a photo until page 20.

This stuff is delicious. I recently switched from Red to Black and the switch is worth every penny. I drink it neat or with 2 cubes of ice. The buzz is sweet, too.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by almightycrunch

View Post

If I was to suggest a starter whisky to anyone wishing to try their first single malt, it would be the Glenmorangie 10 year original too. good stuff

It's still my main standby single malt, the one any friend knows is a safe birthday gift to get me, and with the possible exception of Highland Park 12, is my favorite Scotch "under or around $40." thumb.gif

Archived