What Whiskey Are You Drinking?

.homewrecker.

• Members

VirginiaGentleman.jpg

Plastic bottle and all.

Also, JD Green lovers, buy yours now...

man.. i grew up pulling drunk sunfish outa that distillery's pond. they were so brain damaged (the fish), you could throw rocks in the water, and they'd eat them.

beware.. i think it's wood alcohol.. :D

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good to know. I'll pick up a bottle or two this weekend.

Was it you who also liked Elijah Craig 18?

That's also getting put on hold until 2014, but because they released a 20 yr this year. Haven't tried it yet but I will be picking up a bottle, hefty price tag though.

• Members

Was it you who also liked Elijah Craig 18?

That's also getting put on hold until 2014, but because they released a 20 yr this year. Haven't tried it yet but I will be picking up a bottle, hefty price tag though.

Actually I like the Elijah Craig 12 year old better -- it's my go to "everyday" drink. Straight, on the rocks, mixed,...it's good stuff.

I actually didn't think the 18 was that great -- kinda over hyped single barrel IMO. Pretty strong alcohol bite. The extra 2 years in the barrel would probably help it.

• Members

Actually I like the Elijah Craig 12 year old better -- it's my go to "everyday" drink. Straight, on the rocks, mixed,...it's good stuff.

I actually didn't think the 18 was that great -- kinda over hyped single barrel IMO. Pretty strong alcohol bite. The extra 2 years in the barrel would probably help it.

I like the 18yr and 12yr, Heaven Hill also makes Henry McKenna Single Barrel which I prefer over the 12yr, and it's about the same price if I remember correctly. I haven't had the Henry McKenna standard so I can't comment on that.

With any single barrel I think it just comes down to the bottle you get...it's an expensive gamble that's for sure. Maybe an extra two years will help, maybe it won't. I try to find the more amber-brown bottles of just about every single barrel I think they tend to be the better of the bunch. Instead of a NOVA ampfest let's just do whiskey... ha ha

• Members

Quick rant but I hate how Bourbon is using single barrel as if it's like single malt, two very different concepts. Single malt still has blending happening, and honestly I find the fact that blenders can blend something to be as consistent as a single malt, or higher end bourbon to take more talent and skill than just dumping the cream of the crop into a bottle and labeling it single barrel.

• Members

I like the 18yr and 12yr, Heaven Hill also makes Henry McKenna Single Barrel which I prefer over the 12yr, and it's about the same price if I remember correctly. I haven't had the Henry McKenna standard so I can't comment on that.

With any single barrel I think it just comes down to the bottle you get...it's an expensive gamble that's for sure. Maybe an extra two years will help, maybe it won't. I try to find the more amber-brown bottles of just about every single barrel I think they tend to be the better of the bunch. Instead of a NOVA ampfest let's just do whiskey... ha ha

Yeah, you are right about the single barrel stuff being a gamble -- always slight variations.

I've been wanting to do a bourbon tasting for awhile now. I've done two scotch tastings,...fun stuff. But an ampfest/whiskey thing would be a blast. I need to schedule -- of course you will be the first to know.

• Members

Yeah, you are right about the single barrel stuff being a gamble -- always slight variations.

I've been wanting to do a bourbon tasting for awhile now. I've done two scotch tastings,...fun stuff. But an ampfest/whiskey thing would be a blast. I need to schedule -- of course you will be the first to know.

Hell we can skip the amps, I'll bring the cigars and a few bottle. Though I'm going to bring Rye and not Bourbon...

• Members

Quick rant but I hate how Bourbon is using single barrel as if it's like single malt, two very different concepts. Single malt still has blending happening, and honestly I find the fact that blenders can blend something to be as consistent as a single malt, or higher end bourbon to take more talent and skill than just dumping the cream of the crop into a bottle and labeling it single barrel.

I think the bourbon makers feel they're losing some market share (in America specifically) to the Single Malt Scotch industry and are doing what they feel they have to to compete. It is kinda stupid because as you said it's two completely different concepts.

But I do like that there are more small batch distillery's making really good stuff, and now it's a lot more available. Hell, I'm finishing up some Rowan's Creek right now -- killer stuff.

• Members

I think the bourbon makers feel they're losing some market share (in America specifically) to the Single Malt Scotch industry and are doing what they feel they have to to compete. It is kinda stupid because as you said it's two completely different concepts.

But I do like that there are more small batch distillery's making really good stuff, and now it's a lot more available. Hell, I'm finishing up some Rowan's Creek right now -- killer stuff.

Yeah, American whiskey is picking up a lot though, so I guess it's working. A theory behind Scotch's dominance in the market has to do with Britain pushing Scotch to all of the other colonies during the Revolutionary War to keep money from going to America.

As a whole alcohol consumers are getting really educated about alcohol and looking for new things, hell Chardonnay is losing tons of market share now, finally...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

ARISE, ZOMBIE WHISKY THREAD!!!

Whisky of the Day: Laphroaig Quarter Cask, 48% ABV.

The extra oak maturation of the Quarter Cask expression adds a lot of sweet, vanilla and oak char notes, without diluting the overwhelming peat smoke Islay malt backbone. It's like a more complex Laphroaig 10, with more finesse. Yet it still packs an unbelievable salt-iodine-peat wallop. This is the best single malt I've tried this year so far.

In the words of my wife (who got me this as a belated birthday gift, even though she hates Islay malts), "Eww! It smells like a World War II field medic's kit!"

7993764942_6cc5f4bda3_c.jpg

• Members

The extra oak maturation of the Quarter Cask expression adds a lot of sweet, vanilla and oak char notes, without diluting the overwhelming peat smoke Islay malt backbone. It's like a more complex Laphroaig 10, with more finesse. Yet it still packs an unbelievable salt-iodine-peat wallop. This is the best single malt I've tried this year so far.

In the words of my wife (who got me this as a belated birthday gift, even though she hates Islay malts), "Eww! It smells like a World War II field medic's kit!"

Nice! Excellent gift.

• Members

Love this stuff. Campfire in a bottle :D Pretty affordable too!

• Members

I recently got this gift from a person in China..

49F2B9B4-62F4-4649-AE0B-F33BCB9F4DB4-129

Antler blood 'wine'. It is a very strong distilled spirit & yes it has antler blood in it. The flavor might be close to a plum & liquorice liquor - but there is all sorts of other stuff in there. Really warms you up going down.

Archived