So... I got mugged last night...

Dead Star

• Members

Last night after catching Zeds Dead at the Retgency Center here in SF, I check into my hotel room and head out to look for a convenience store to grab a drink. The neighborhood I'm staying in is not known for crime, in fact it's usually quite quiet.

Well, I had just given up on finding a store, and was making my way back to my hotel, when these two young guys come up to me. They ask me for directions to a BART station, and I point down the street and continue on my way.

The first guy says something to the other guy in spanish, and before I have the chance to react, I had a knife to my back.

They told me to empty my pockets, but I just stood there, shocked at what was happening. I guess they didn't like that because one of them forced me into a choke hold against a wall, and took my stuff ($30 and a pos cell phone) from my pocket.

Like an idiot, I elbowed the guy in the face on instinct, and they proceeded to kick my ass. I probably would have gotten stabbed had it not been for the cab that pulled up, scaring them off.

Now I'm back at the hotel and I can't sleep. Sorry for the {censored}ty spelling and grammar. These computers are really {censored}ing weird to use.

TL;DR: Got mugged while looking for a convenience store. They managed to get $30 and a {censored} cell phone, but I was an idiot and tried to fight back, only succeeding in getting my ass kicked.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They probably would have sucker punched you after wards, thieves aren't known for having a code of honour. Good on you for fighting back, even if you took a few hits. You'd be more frustrated at yourself now if you hadn't done anything. Have a beer, you earned it, and enjoy that {censored}ty people like that only attract misery into their own lives.

• Members

Good on you for fighting back, even if you took a few hits. You'd be more frustrated at yourself now if you hadn't done anything.

If you are ever in a position to hand out advice to impressionable people. Hold your tongue.

• Members

They probably would have sucker punched you after wards, thieves aren't known for having a code of honour. Good on you for fighting back, even if you took a few hits. You'd be more frustrated at yourself now if you hadn't done anything. Have a beer, you earned it, and enjoy that {censored}ty people like that only attract misery into their own lives.

{censored} that. He's so lucky he didn't get stabbed. Whether or not they had the intention of doing it in the first place, once a knife is out its very easy for it to be waved in the wrong manner and cut someone when there's any shoving/comotion.

• Members

If you are ever in a position to hand out advice to impressionable people. Hold your tongue.

He's right though - you DO feel better if you've actually tried to fight back - unless you got killed. It's basic ego stuff.

The father of an acquaintance of mine who runs a drug store got held up at knife-point, fought back, and got pretty seriously stabbed. The guy's nearly 80 years old. He's very proud of himself for having fought back, even if it achieved nothing but getting seriously hurt.

• Members

He's right though. It's basic ego stuff.

It's ego stuff that causes people to prey on others. Ego stuff is the heart of the problem with aggression.

Ego wants respect in the hood. What do you do? Live a life of violence. {censored} ego.

• Members

It's ego stuff that causes people to prey on others. Ego stuff is the heart of the problem with aggression.

Ego wants respect in the hood. What do you do? Live a life of violence. {censored} ego.

I think you misunderstood me, and I missed part of the original post that you were replying to (the advice bit). What I mean is:

- People DO actually feel better about themselves if they fight back/tried to. Basic (hu)man nature of not wondering "what if" or thinking yourself a coward.

- I don't actually mean it's a good idea. I have *never* fought back when I've been mugged (three times or so). I prefer to fight my ego trying to make me a coward over fighting for my life after defending a few bucks in money and property. That guy's wife wasn't happy about him getting stabbed multiple times, even if he survived.

• Members

Good thing you were not at a McDonalds, or you would have gotten really {censored}ed up..

Glad your ok though..

Yep. On the McD's national hiring day in Cleveland, some women got in a fight and one spat on another. She hammered on the gas with the car in reverse and ran over 3 people including the McD's owner. The vid is on youtube.

• Members

Im sure California is not legal to conceal and carry......cause honestly I would rather them bite a bullet than get away with it...or next time happen to a family member. Im glad you did resist a little...call it ego, balls..whatever. Those punks will never stop until something has made them stop. Glad you are ok.

• Members

I agree fighting back at that point was a bad idea, once the knife is out that close you've lost and were lucky to not get stabbed and possibly killed, that being said I hate the notion that we should all be laying down to these kind of street trash, I think the best defense is to be hyper aware of our surroundings so that we don't get into the position of having a knife in our back so easily.

Archived