MXR FULLBORE METAL - Yay or Nay?

Johansolo

• Members

im looking for a "Randall" in a box...just for mucking around playing some pantera type stuff.

whats the "scoop" on the MXR Full bore?

worth it for $50?

ive watched all the youtube vids...some sound good,some ok and some meh.

be using it through a clean channel of a Vox AC30 type amp + 2x12 close back.

i want chunky Djunts and pinch harmonic squealies...for when i have to unlease my inner-bogan.

• Members

Definitely not. There was a thread here a while back which absolutely tanked that stompbox.

If I am right, even PGS Andy couldn't get a good tone out of it.

Avoid like the plague.

A Metal Zone in this case is a far better option.

• Members

im looking for a "Randall" in a box...just for mucking around playing some pantera type stuff.

I'd get it for $50, you can't really afford not too. It does pantera, but nothing else and apart from actually playing pantera when else would you ever want to sound like that.

• Members

It seemed the buzzy Pantera tone was about the only sound that could be gotten from it in the thread that posted a ton of videos on it. For $50 you probably can't go too wrong if that's what you want it to do. And you could probably get your $50 from the next guy if you don't like it.

• Members

You should try out an Electroharmonix Metal Muff (the one with "top boost"). I used to play one through an AC30 with devastating results.... try it out.. I think you will be pleasantly surprised... New they are 80 bones.. you could probably get one used for less.....

• Members

Your real problem is going to be that AC30. Lovely amps but, damn, they hate pedals. You will need to experiment until you find one that works well. I will add to the Metal Muff lovers here. Just a great heavy pedal. However, never turn on the Top Boost. Wow. The Top Boost into an AC30 will create a giant sinkhole of sonic suck.

• Members

Dunno, I like my Fullbore just fine. It doesn't get a lot of use since I more or less retired my whole pedalboard setup, but that's true of all my stompboxes. As with most other distortions I've tried, the Fullbore really benefits from an EQ pedal in the chain, and definitely sounds better straight into a power amp than into a clean amp input.

• Members

nigh. MXR has some great pedals, but IMO the Fullbore metal is not one of them.

THIS X10000000000 . If you want a great stand alone dirt box , check out the Jet City Shockwave. Ive tried lots and lots and it is by far and away my favorite thus far.

• Members

cheers guys...my amp isnt a Vox AC30...its AC30ish and takes most pedals ive used well...i own a few dirt box, but im really wanting something that does that solid state tight razor type dime gain. just for mucking around.

i might just look out for some cheap randall heads if they pop up, but ive been curious about the amt stuff too.

• Members

I love my Fullbore, everyone seems to hate it but it's the best distortion pedal I have ever played.

I played Boss MT-2, MXR Distortion III, Line 6 Uber Metal, Metal Muff... and MXR just blows them all away. It's the ONLY pedal I've ever bought brand-new because it simply deserves it.

I don't understand all the haters out there for this pedal. All I can think of is they never played it in REAL LIFE, all they watch are youtube clips and it bothers me since the youtube clips of this pedal sucks even the PGS video was bad for this pedal.

Trust me, once you play it in person it kicks ass...

My 2cents

• Members

I love my Fullbore, everyone seems to hate it but it's the best distortion pedal I have ever played.

I played Boss MT-2, MXR Distortion III, Line 6 Uber Metal, Metal Muff... and MXR just blows them all away. It's the ONLY pedal I've ever bought brand-new because it simply deserves it.

I don't understand all the haters out there for this pedal. All I can think of is they never played it in REAL LIFE, all they watch are youtube clips and it bothers me since the youtube clips of this pedal sucks even the PGS video was bad for this pedal.

Trust me, once you play it in person it kicks ass...

My 2cents

I played one in real life, and it sounded just like the videos. But I don't much care for Metal Zones, Metal Muffs, or those other pedals you listed.

• Members

OP, have you considered the Hardwire Metal Distortion?

i have the SC-2 HArdwire and i love it for hte high gain saturated mode...didnt even think about trying the metal version.

will look into it...and the EMMA pisDIYawot too..

• 1 month later...
  • Members

+1

I can't believe people are trashing this pedal wtf?!?!?!?!?

It is flat out the best hard distortion I've ever played much less owned. Responsive, great harmonics, the key is dialing in the pedals EQ to your amp and finding the sweet spot on the frequency control.

There are settings where it absolutely sounds like {censored}, and ones where it sounds like heaven, but if you need a Pantera/A7X/Slipknot type gain.... it's an A+ I promise.

People are nuts, Youtube is killing so many good effects imho.

• Members

+1

I can't believe people are trashing this pedal wtf?!?!?!?!?

It is flat out the best hard distortion I've ever played much less owned. Responsive, great harmonics, the key is dialing in the pedals EQ to your amp and finding the sweet spot on the frequency control.

There are settings where it absolutely sounds like {censored}, and ones where it sounds like heaven, but if you need a Pantera/A7X/Slipknot type gain.... it's an A+ I promise.

People are nuts, Youtube is killing so many good effects imho.

Old thread is old.

But i do agree with you,

at least if by It is flat out the best hard distortion I've ever played much less owned. you mean that its the first distortion pedal youve ever seen or heard,

Responsive you actually mean -has lots of treble,

by great harmonics you actually mean : has even more treble.

the key is dialing in the pedals EQ to your amp and finding the sweet spot on the frequency control. by this you mean : turn it off, hit it with a sledgehammer and flee for your life

ones where it sounds like heaven by this you mean : Off

By far one of the very worst distortion pedals ive ever had the misfortune of using, i would take a Metal Zone, a Crate flexwave amp or 12 Gorilla amps daisy chained together with a Pignose driving them over someone giving me this pedal.

Want a good heavy gain pedal? Get a H&K Warp Factor

Archived