MXR FULLBORE METAL - Yay or Nay?

Johansolo

• Members

Old thread is old.

But i do agree with you,

at least if by
It is flat out the best hard distortion I've ever played much less owned.
you mean that its the first distortion pedal youve ever seen or heard,

Responsive
you actually mean -has lots of treble,

by
great harmonics
you actually mean : has even more treble.

the key is dialing in the pedals EQ to your amp and finding the sweet spot on the frequency control.
by this you mean : turn it off, hit it with a sledgehammer and flee for your life

ones where it sounds like heaven
by this you mean : Off

By far one of the very worst distortion pedals ive ever had the misfortune of using, i would take a Metal Zone, a Crate flexwave amp or 12 Gorilla amps daisy chained together with a Pignose driving them over someone giving me this pedal.

Want a good heavy gain pedal? Get a H&K Warp Factor

Poor joke

Poor explanation

Poor explanation

Poor joke

Conclusion: Buy this _________

Yeah, someone listen to this dude for advice. :facepalm:

• Members

Poor joke

Poor explanation

Poor explanation

Poor joke

Conclusion: Buy this _________

Yeah, someone listen to this dude for advice.
:facepalm:

If that was a bit too complicated for you, let me make it a bit simpler:

The MXR Fullbore is a godawful pedal and vastly inferior to nearly every other distortion pedal out there. It has so much fizzy treble and sucks out so much bass that it made my RedBear thru a ported 4x12 sound like a transistor radio.

• Members

If that was a bit too complicated for you, let me make it a bit simpler:

The MXR Fullbore is a godawful pedal and vastly inferior to nearly every other distortion pedal out there. It has so much fizzy treble and sucks out so much bass that it made my RedBear thru a ported 4x12 sound like a transistor radio.

You can't dial it in properly means it's a load of garbage.

You don't like it, so it's godawful.

Ya, that's makes sense.

• Members

You can't dial it in properly means it's a load of garbage.

You don't like it, so it's godawful.

Ya, that's makes sense.

Can you post a video or clip of it not sucking?

I'm not being a dick, I'd actually like to hear something where it sounds good as pretty much everything posted online sounds like utter garbage unless you're wanting to cop a Dimebagesque tone.

• Members

I'm not being a dick, I'd actually like to hear something where it sounds good as pretty much everything posted online sounds like utter garbage unless you're wanting to cop a Dimebagesque tone.

The OP does want a Dime tone, or at least (presumably) a solid state type of tone ala old Randalls. The Fullbore will do that. I maintain that it's a good pedal in its price bracket, and can sound good if dialed in properly for the amp and guitar/pickups it's being used with. I compared it to an Amptweaker Tight Metal just last weekend, and although it didn't have what I would equate to genuine amp distortion like the Tight Metal did, it still works pretty well for jamming with the band. I don't think I'd use one as my main distortion box for gigging or recording, but as ~$100 distortion pedals go, it's pretty decent.

• Members

The OP
does
want a Dime tone, or at least (presumably) a solid state type of tone ala old Randalls. The Fullbore will do that. I maintain that it's a good pedal in its price bracket, and can sound good if dialed in properly for the amp and guitar/pickups it's being used with. I compared it to an Amptweaker Tight Metal just last weekend, and although it didn't have what I would equate to genuine amp distortion like the Tight Metal did, it still works pretty well for jamming with the band. I don't think I'd use one as my main distortion box for gigging or recording, but as ~$100 distortion pedals go, it's pretty decent.

Old thread was old and I didn't even look at what the OP wanted. :lol:

It was more just out of curiosity as to hearing how iloveespguitars used one as the only usable sounds I've heard from 4 or 5 different demos ranged from gawdawful to a pretty decent facsimile of Dime's sound. Hearing youtube demos =/= actually trying one I understand. :)

And there is a more than a little subjectivity on what people think sounds good. :lol:

• Members

Actually, being a Randall enthusiast, I can tell you the Digitech Black 13 Scott Ian pedal has a Randall Cyclone setting thats pretty spot on. I bet if you threw a graphic EQ after it, the Dime tone would be easy to achieve.

Not to make this a spam post, but I will, in fact, be selling mine. Great pedal with numerous great rhythm tones, but being as I own two Randall rigs, and am in need of funds for a drum kit, I'll be putting mine in the spam thread and/or eBay soon.

MXR also made a Dime distortion pedal, but I never got to try it. So, that may be another option for you.

• Members

MXR also made a Dime distortion pedal, but I never got to try it. So, that may be another option for you.

I remember reading a review of it saying "It doesn't sound anything like Dime's tone, but its not a bad pedal overall."

I have no idea if that's true or not, just a random tidbit my mind holds onto instead of useful things like where the hell I put my freaking keys.

Archived