Seriously, are u paying for the name...Gibson...?

lenster

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Every guitar company who sells guitars in any considerable volume are bound to have Friday guitars every now and again.

I've played many Fenders, Gibsons, Ibanezes, PRSs yadda yadda yadda etc.

Of every model, I've always come across a bad one at some point.

People wave the finger at Gibson, but they arent the only culprits of putting out a sub par guitar occasionally.

• Members

I'll also add, that the n00bs that end up with a shoddy guitar from whatever manufacturer are probably the same people that buy without playing them first, I.e online or something, and also don't know how to set up a guitar for their tastes, and even if they think they do, their "adjustments" make the guitar worse.

Therefore the guitar/manufacturer gets a bad name.

• Members

Is there a reason guitar companies have been trying to rip off the les paul for so many years ?
oh it must be because they are better than the original ...ic
"hey look everyone, our guitar almost looks like a real les paul..buy ours its cheaper and made with slave labor"

• Members

(Is there a reason guitar companies have been trying to rip off the les paul for so many years ?

oh it must be because they are better than the original ...ic

"hey look everyone, our guitar almost looks like a real les paul..buy ours its cheaper and made with slave labor" )

Your right man..^^

• Members

Wow.
Started a thread thats gone into 5 pages.
Anyway , i've read 3 pages , gotta go to work but i sorta guess these would be the responses.
For me, i suppose i go for good value in a guitar , That is why i love my Charvel So-cal , so much win all round.
If i had the coin laying around for a Traditional LP iu probably would but would have to play a few first.
On the other hand i could go n buy the Schecter or Godin 2moro without any hesitation.
I'll read more and chime in when i get home 2 nite.
:thu:
Great posts.

• Members

An Edwards Les Paul with SD 59s in it. It probably plays better and is better built too...

I'm not saying Edwards aren't good guitars but there is a reason they are priced the way they are priced. Edwards are owned by ESP which isn't known as a cheap priced company overall. ESP like Gibson has it's economy/cheaper priced lines (Ltd., Schecter and Edwards) then their higher end higher priced lines (ESP and Navigator).

The Navigators are suppose to be ESP's clones of Gibson Les Pauls but of course Navigator LP's cost as much or more than Gibson Les Pauls.

• Members
Wow.

Started a thread thats gone into 5 pages.

Anyway , i've read 3 pages , gotta go to work but i sorta guess these would be the responses.

For me, i suppose i go for good value in a guitar , That is why i love my Charvel So-cal , so much win all round.

If i had the coin laying around for a Traditional LP iu probably would but would have to play a few first.

On the other hand i could go n buy the Schecter or Godin 2moro without any hesitation.

I'll read more and chime in when i get home 2 nite.

:thu:
Great posts.

You hit a nerve bro! :lol:

• Members

An Edwards Les Paul with SD 59s in it. It probably plays better and is better built too...

I guess every Edwards must be perfect then, and they haven't made a bad one.

Edwards aren't desirable though, and I would bet my right bollock that my Gibson Les Paul Custom plays and sounds better than the Edwards you mentioned. Having said that it did cost more, but I'll still have a highly desirable guitar in 50 years to come. In actual cost, and if you factor in how much more poon a proper Les Paul such as a White Custom gets you, and how long it will continue to be awesome, and how well it will age and how much mojo it will gather, and how I'll be able to recoup a large amount of my outlay if I ever decide to sell it, which I won't, and how much heritage and class a good Gibson guitar still has......

Then, yeah, I'll pass on the Edwards thanks.

Only n00bs slate Les Pauls.

Simply put, a bro buys the right LP to start with, and then realises what all the deserved fuss is about.

A good, well chosen Les Paul, is hard to beat.

Not my issue if noobs don't test out their purchase properly, bro.

• Members

Perfect analogy=

Alfa Romeo = Gibson LP.

Not always reliable, there are dodgy ones out there, but when all the heritage, passion and soul all comes together, for that moment, you wouldn't want to be anywhere or be playing anything else.

You aren't a true petrolhead unless you've owned an Alfa.

You aren't a true guitarist unless you rock a Les Paul.

:cool:

• Members

The thing about Les Pauls is that you really do have to find the right one for you but IMO once you do there isn't many guitars that can touch it. They are far from cookie cutter guitars like alot of other brands I have played that pretty much all sound identical no matter which one you pick from the shelf. Every one of them sounds and plays different even if they are the exact same model, with the exact specs, pickups, hardware, etc....

• Members

The thing about Les Pauls is that you really do have to find the right one for you but IMO once you do there isn't many guitars that can touch it. They are far from cookie cutter guitars like alot of other brands I have played that pretty much all sound identical no matter which one you pick from the shelf. Every one of them sounds and plays different even if they are the exact same model, with the exact specs, pickups, hardware, etc....

Defintely this.

Both of my Custom 24's as instruments are better than my Les Paul.

Made better, better attention to detail, stay in tune better, better construction methods, etc etc.

But when it comes to pure mojo, magic, and when all the pieces come together, my Les Paul is the far more rewarding, inspiring, and motivational to play.

It's not such a good precision instrument, like the PRS.

It's not a scalpel, it's a rock and roll mother{censored}ing blunderbuss!

And when the music matters, the Les Paul is the {censored}ing daddy.

A good Les Paul is just purely {censored}ing inspiring. More so than any toy knockoff or whatever.

• Members

Didn't read past page 2...

Like somebody said on that page, they were cool back in the 60's :o

The only fret that ever made me bleed was on a high-dollar Gibson. I go to their big store right next to the Opryland hotel in Nashville every year (3-day manager's conference for my company), I play as many guitars as possible, and I still have not warmed up to a Les Paul.

How do people not comprehend that some people just don't like them? :idk: I don't like the way they look, their quality control... well, they don't have any... I don't like their balance, I don't like their necks... seems I don't like Gibson. I do have an Xaviere clone that I do like.... Cost me about $230, which is about what a Les Paul should cost. Minus the ebony board, it's all the same materials and most likely more work.

Gibsons aren't for playing, they are yuppie status symbols that sit unplayed collecting dust as pop art sculpture next to high dollar amps.

and this^

• Members

I guess every Edwards must be perfect then, and they haven't made a bad one.

Edwards aren't desirable though, and I would bet my right bollock that my Gibson Les Paul Custom plays and sounds better than the Edwards you mentioned. Having said that it did cost more,
but I'll still have a highly desirable guitar in 50 years to come. In actual cost, and if you factor in how much more poon a proper Les Paul such as a White Custom gets you, and how long it will continue to be awesome, and how well it will age and how much mojo it will gather, and how I'll be able to recoup a large amount of my outlay if I ever decide to sell it, which I won't, and how much heritage and class a good Gibson guitar still has......

That all has a lot less to do with the guitar and everything to do with the companies history. Two identical guitars, literal clones of each other, one with "Gibson" on the headstock and the other with Edwards/Tokai/Burny/Agile/Navigator and you know for a fact that the Gibson will appreciate in value and any wear will be considered "mojo" whereas the other guitar will likely depreciate and any wear will be attributed to negligence and decrease its value.

• Members

That all has a lot less to do with the guitar and everything to do with the companies history. Two identical guitars, literal clones of each other, one with "Gibson" on the headstock and the other with Edwards/Tokai/Burny/Agile/Navigator and you know for a fact that the Gibson will appreciate in value and any wear will be considered "mojo" whereas the other guitar will likely depreciate and any wear will be attributed to negligence and decrease its value.

My playing gets me poon, not the brand name on my headstock.

Archived