Seriously, are u paying for the name...Gibson...?

lenster

• Members

From a guy that does this (painting/finishing) for a living:

If he didn't bond with them, no worries, i'm just saying its not due to a thick finish.

It's cool. I just can't stand the guitars. They're horribly generic sounding and I hate the necks. But then I have a big fat necks on all my guitars. My LP 50's neck is my thinnest I believe.

This may be just me but I've also always found that no matter what you play a PRS through there's always a little bit of flub in the tone compared to many other guitars. IMO, it's the placement of the bridge pup.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's cool. I just can't stand the guitars. They're horribly generic sounding and I hate the necks. But then I have a big fat necks on all my guitars. My LP 50's neck is my thinnest I believe.

This may be just me but I've also always found that no matter what you play a PRS through there's always a little bit of flub in the tone compared to many other guitars. IMO, it's the placement of the bridge pup.

I just measured on my trem PRS' and my Les Paul and the bridge pickup is the same distance, give or take the small differences in intonation. If its Custom 24's you don't like then I would first look at the stock pickups, I am not a fan of the HFS/VB combo they use at all. In fact none of my PRS' have stock pickups, i'm just not a fan of them (although I have not tried their newest PAF style offerings).

I'll have to do a tone test between my guitars one of these days. I've never found a high quality instrument that I thought sounded "bland", IMHO once you get to a certain point you're just paying for slightly different shades of the same color tonally, especially if it is between guitars with the same style of construction or pickups. People will claim to hear the subtle nuances between everything they've ever touched since no one ever actually has to prove it and in my opinion this has WAY more to do with how an instrument feels to the person playing it than what it actually sounds like. Pretty guitars will more often be referred to as "sterile" or "lifeless" or "bland" whereas you will almost never here this said about something that has been relic'ed either naturally or by time and use. I just wish people would stop and think "why?" before spouting their opinions. I played half a dozen butterscotch tele's in a shop once and they all sounded different, when going back to actually analyze why I found that the state of the strings and the setup (action, neck relief, pickup height) could account for all the changes I perceived (lack of sustain, tinny sounding, big bottom end, small bottom end, bright, dull etc etc).

Sorry for the rant, I just have a short fuse when it comes to people making definitive statements about things without considering or caring about variables and a decent test reference.

• Members

Not to generalise TOO MUCH but it seems like alot of Gibson owners prefer and only use Gibson (similar to Fender), where as alot of other players are able to open their mind to other possibilities.

It seems to some Fender or Gibson are like some sort of religion. I like Ibanez alot, but I could never own ONLY Ibanez's or Jackson's or Ernie Balls or Suhrs etc. Speaking of that, I could never own more then 2 or 3 of the same guitar.. you want a variety different coloured brush strokes, not 20 different shades of the same colour.

But each to his own.

The price makes it easier for me to avoid Gibson, as what I am looking for is found in other brands.. I am into alot more modern sounding stuff.. further down the evolution tree. However I have to confess I would love to own an LP. I could never only own an LP though. I guess I am just too much of a superstrat guy.

• Members

Not to generalise TOO MUCH but it seems like alot of Gibson owners prefer and only use Gibson (similar to Fender), where as alot of other players are able to open their mind to other possibilities.

It seems to some Fender or Gibson are like some sort of religion. I like Ibanez alot, but I could never own ONLY Ibanez's or Jackson's or Ernie Balls or Suhrs etc. Speaking of that, I could never own more then 2 or 3 of the same guitar.. you want a variety different coloured brush strokes, not 20 different shades of the same colour.

But each to his own.

The price makes it easier for me to avoid Gibson, as what I am looking for is found in other brands.. I am into alot more modern sounding stuff.. further down the evolution tree. However I have to confess I would love to own an LP. I could never only own an LP though. I guess I am just too much of a superstrat guy.

See, I'm the opposite. I have one of each because I can't stand having two out the same guitar. Instead I chose to find a prime example of each

• Members

Nothing wrong with paying for the name Gibson btw. If you grew up idolizing players who played a Gibson and always wanted to have one, more power to you. It's a musical instrument, a tool to create art and whatever inspires you to play and write music is fair game. You don't buy guitars like you buy groceries. The whole "vibe"and "mojo" argument is a perfectly valid one when it comes to tools for artistic expression.

This

A guitar is a personal thing, you buy it because it appeals to you and satisfies your muse, not because of the name on the headstock.

• Members

I guess every Edwards must be perfect then, and they haven't made a bad one.

Edwards aren't desirable though, and I would bet my right bollock that my Gibson Les Paul Custom plays and sounds better than the Edwards you mentioned. Having said that it did cost more, but I'll still have a highly desirable guitar in 50 years to come. In actual cost, and if you factor in how much more poon a proper Les Paul such as a White Custom gets you, and how long it will continue to be awesome, and how well it will age and how much mojo it will gather, and how I'll be able to recoup a large amount of my outlay if I ever decide to sell it, which I won't, and how much heritage and class a good Gibson guitar still has......

Then, yeah, I'll pass on the Edwards thanks.

Only n00bs slate Les Pauls.

Simply put, a bro buys the right LP to start with, and then realises what all the deserved fuss is about.

A good, well chosen Les Paul, is hard to beat.

Not my issue if noobs don't test out their purchase properly, bro.

I own an Edwards, I played a les paul and an Edwards side by side, the les Paul was slightly better but not by much ad not over a

• Members

There is nothing like the feel and sound of a Gibson Les Paul, having said that, I would never buy a guitar just based on the name. It is all about play, feel and sound for me.. I love my 3 Gibsons, but I play my Fenders and love them a bit more... Just a better fit for me. But I also know when I am recording, 9 out of 10 times I am using my Les Paul because nothing else sounds like that... :)

• Members

How do people not comprehend that some people just don't like them?
:idk:
I don't like the way they look, their quality control... well, they don't have any... I don't like their balance, I don't like their necks... seems I don't like Gibson. I do have an
Xaviere clone that I do like.... Cost me about $230, which is about what a Les Paul should cost. Minus the ebony board, it's all the same materials and most likely more work.

Fails on many levels :facepalm:

Xaviere= cheap {censored} guitar NOT CLOSE to Gibson LPC

Agile= Cheap {censored} guitar with stupid nub for a cutaway and is NOT close to any GIBSON studio, standard, etc in terms of function or quality. It is a step above Xaviere though or other cheap {censored} LP copies.

I know at least 5 people that spent 3 grand on 5 piece of {censored} guitars they all say are better than a Gibson LPC :lol:

I was in that camp until I bought my first Gibson LP.

Nothing plays or sounds like a Gibson LP.

Gibson LP does not play like a Jackson or S shaped Body. They are just different guitars.

• Members

any big brand name (gibson, prs and so on) youre paying for the name and reputation. gibson hate is nothing new. they have {censored}ing absurd prices, but so does everyone else. in all honesty, none of them are worth it. im a gibson fan, just not of the company. if god was real, id believe hed be a les paul player.

• Members

any big brand name (gibson, prs and so on) youre paying for the name and reputation. gibson hate is nothing new. they have {censored}ing absurd prices,
but so does everyone else.
in all honesty, none of them are worth it. im a gibson fan, just not of the company. if god was real, id believe hed be a les paul player.

I don't agree with this statement. I feel most manufacturer's are pretty fair in their pricing on what guitar your getting and the quality of that guitar for it's price point. Most, not all.

Archived