Seriously, are u paying for the name...Gibson...?

lenster

• Members

While i would love to own one , are they really worth the coin asked for them.

I could purchase a new "traditional" locally for $2,799

like this http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-1960.aspx or i could buy a Schecter Solo 6 Custom for $1,100.

Like this http://www.schecterguitars.com/International/Products/Guitar/Solo-6-Custom.aspx.

now i'm talikg $AUD.

I like Schecters previously owning a new Hollywood classic, loved it, but moved on to the Charvel.

I've owned a Dillion 950 Pro (LP Copy ) Loved it only cost me $700.00.

Tell me why u think or not that the Gibson is a superior guitar to the Schecter.

No offence taken by any comments just curious ast to what others think.

Personally I'd go with the Schecter.

:)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As much as I think Gibson is severely overpriced, that Schecter doesn't even come close to the elegance of the Les Paul design. Schecter has a track record of going for gaudy instead of classy and it seems they still do judging by their 35th anniversary models.

• Members

As much as I think Gibson is severely overpriced, that Schecter doesn't even come close to the elegance of the Les Paul design. Schecter has a track record of going for gaudy instead of classy and it seems they still do judging by their 35th anniversary models.

pffffft.

• Members

Nothing sounds like a Les Paul.

Also, this.

Gibsons are overpriced, yeah. We all know that. However, comparing them to a Schecter, which in my opinion and experience are in a totally different league isn't really a fair assessment. I have a 2010 Trad. Plus that I absolutely love, so maybe I'm biased... :idk:

• Members

Don't buy a Gibson, buy a Tokai or something. The Japanese take more pride and usually do things better than Americans when it comes to crafting/machining things, and since they aren't so pompous about such things, they are usually much cheaper. Having toured and interviewed for a position in the Gibson Custom Shop and watching them work for a few hours, I have no {censored}ing idea how most of them got their job, and I have no idea how in the hell they sell guitars for so much money.

• Members

Guitarzan 1143 is correct about Gibson. The custom shop is nothing more then another production facility which builds slightly different spec'd guitars then the regular production line, using slightly better materials, most of the time. The word "Custom" has been abused by way to many manufacturers.

The trick to finding any great guitar that you would love is based solely on you personal ability to pick one that is better then the rest.

There are great, average, and turd guitars by every single guitar manufacturer. What may be a turd to one person, may be a great guitar to the next person.

The more you learn, know, and understand about a guitar, and what you personally look for in one, is going to be the deciding factor whether you buy by color, looks alone, or tone and playability first, followed by the other factors next.

Gibsons are all over the place in all respects. Finding a really great one may take you some time, travel, and/or knowing how to shop via the net at specific dealers, if you do not live near a ready supply of guitars to choose from.

• Members

Don't buy a Gibson, buy a Tokai or something. The Japanese take more pride and usually do things better than Americans when it comes to crafting/machining things, and since they aren't so pompous about such things, they are usually much cheaper. Having toured and interviewed for a position in the Gibson Custom Shop and watching them work for a few hours, I have no {censored}ing idea how most of them got their job, and
I have no idea how in the hell they sell guitars for so much money.

It's called advertising. They just overhype their own {censored}.

• Members

It's called advertising. They just overhype their own {censored}.

What was it that Ben Franklin said? I think it was him...

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American consumer or something?

He called it, years before his time.

• Members

Ive never played a Les Paul that I liked and I own 2 specters. I wouldn't Hesitate to get a US made Schecter Custom shop. IMO it would be twice the guitar that an alleged "Custom" LP is.

For the Record, I buy for playability not resale value.

• Members
Ive never played a Les Paul that I liked and I own 2 specters. I wouldn't Hesitate to get a US made Schecter Custom shop. IMO it would be twice the guitar that an alleged "Custom" LP is.

"Twice the guitar" ... this, coming from a guy who plays EMG's :facepalm:

• Members

I love how this "hypothetical" guitar is twice as good as a great LPC.

Don't get me wrong, there are some junk Gibson guitars. I played at least 25 LP Customs from all generations before I bought my Silverburst Custom. Ill put that thing up against ANY guitar. When you find the right one for you there is nothing better.

• Members

I love how this "hypothetical" guitar is twice as good as a great LPC.

Don't get me wrong, there are some junk Gibson guitars. I played at least 25 LP Customs from all generations before I bought my Silverburst Custom. Ill put that thing up against ANY guitar. When you find the right one for you there is nothing better.

I agree...brands asside, the same can be stated for any guitar. Once you find the right one for you that's all that matters. Im just stating that I dont like LP's as much as Shecters for a few diff reasons. NO doubt that Schecters are "bastardized" strat / LP hybrids made in Korea...but that suits me till I can afford an American made schecter.

• Members

Current Gibsons are extremely overpriced, especially with their QC issues its unbelievable what they sell some for. There are many other brands out there that will give you much more for your money.

That said, if you can find that one newer made Gibson that they didn't {censored} up :lol:, then go for it. But in short, they are selling their guitars mostly on their name these days.

• Members

At least in Output
:)

Seriously, not doubting the awesomeness of the LP..but A good Schecter is better in my book. Id never rock a 3000 guitar at one of our shows, people dont sit at them. :poke:

I agree...brands asside, the same can be stated for any guitar. Once you find the right one for you that's all that matters. Im just stating that I dont like LP's as much as Shecters for a few diff reasons. NO doubt that Schecters are "bastardized" strat / LP hybrids made in Korea...but that suits me till I can afford an American made schecter.

What they said.

• Members

As long as quality parts are used and assembled correctly is there really a "better" guitar? It all boils down to preference so this whole argument is kind of useless.. Same thing for the EMG haters..

You and your logic.

But yes, I love all 3 of my main guitars. One of them cost $190, one of them over 10x that. Different appeal.

• Members

Fair enough. I don't like using it at shows either. I bought it used but it was a lot of money for me.

Truth mate. Furthermore, I play 7 strings too so im {censored} Out of Luck there as well. If I were into 6's I'd own me an SG. I LOVE those little guys!

Archived