Should I invest in my band? Listen/see and tell me would you go for it?

thefyn

• Members

I am almost done on my debut album. I am going to put it on the usual places, Itunes, CD baby, Kunaki etc etc that all bands do. Here is my music:

[video=youtube;dQoQgpMooyY]

The vid is going to be edited/colored and the song has to be mixed/mastered/censored etc.

When the album is done, I was thinking of selling a lot of gear to promote it. Raise about 5-8k and spend it all on promoting the CD.

I want to roll the dice before i die. Give me your honest opinion, do you think people would like this type of music if they knew about it?

I'd basically have to sell around 700 CD's or album downloads to break even, but the plan is to get us noticed on the underground with the first release, and hope people buy my second.

I'm not talking about making it big/getting signed. I just want to have a second income from making music.

I can do everything myself. I produced the music and the video, and I am building up 100's of contacts in the industry from everything to reviews, to radio, to blogs, to competitions etc etc etc. So I don't have to spunk cash on the usual things bands have to spend on.

Aaaaanyway, do you think people would buy my music?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

even if you dont make money but have a ton of fun, make a lot of good memories, play some really sweet shows, and have some good recordings of your band i think that would be much more worthwhile in the long run. money isnt everything dude and nine times out of ten is the reason {censored} falls apart and gets messed up.

not really the same or a good analogy but no one pays me to spend time out in the hot sun in my garden but i do bc i enjoy it and its rewarding work for me.

• Members

Like I said in the thread you posted this video in, I love it and that super slow mo vid song you posted a long time ago. I think you could easily sell 700 records. {censored} heidi montague or whatever that whores name is sold that much and that was garbage!

Have you guys had anything on the local radio stations? We used to have a killer local scene program on our major rock station out here. Every Sunday night from like 9-11 they would just play local bands. It helped us get a lot of gigs, but we only had demo cd's for booking purposes so who knows how that would have helped. Also we have a small independent chain of record stores that promoted the {censored} out of local bands. They would even have a little sampler rack at the front and would give you a free 2 song cd of a local band with each purchase. I got turned on to a lot of local bands when I was younger that way.

anyways, good luck!

• Members

I love the song and the band. I would buy the album if the whole album is that good. Now whether you should invest on it is debatable. If you are willing to do it knowing that your chances to get your money back are very slim and you can live with that, go for it. Also, are your band members willing to invest equally or give you a bigger share of the returns so you can recoup your investment?? If the answer to these questions is yes, I don't see why not, your music is definitely good enough.

If this is money that you need to get back eventually, if it will put you on a bad financial situation or if it's only you investing and splitting the profits 3-way, then I wouldn't do it.

• Members

oh one thing, it sounds like you are the only one putting in money yes? I am just thinking doing this sort of a thing with family can make things rough in the long run, as in when money starts coming back in, unless they understand and agree that you need to be paid back for what you have put into it.

• Members

Very Pantera "Five Minutes Alone" like music-video ya got there.

But more like a Mastodon mixed with The Sword type of sound on this track.

I like it. I'd peruse it. Your not gonna be able to make money from it if you dont invest money in it.

• Members

Yes.

Based on your description of your project's status, you are almost there. Why stop now? Of course, by "almost there", I mean that you are almost ready to actually make the attempt at "making it". Also, from your description, it sounds like you are largely investing in yourself -- the best partner you can have.

I'm sure this will sound stupid to some people, but $5K to $8K isn't that much money. People spend much more than that on riskier dreams (like opening a restaurant). With good discipline and a well thought out business plan you can cap your potential losses.

The quality of your clip/video is top notch for something done at a prosumer level. It should do well if it gets noticed.

It is that last point though that highlights your biggest challenge: doing enough promotion to get noticed while conducting this project as a second income source.

• Members

I am going to come right out and be a dick and say no. I don't think people would buy your music. There are already tons of bands out there that already sound exactly like that. I think the worst part of it all is that you guys just don't have the look or anything special that would make you sell. Sure you could print cds...I am sure all your friends and family would buy one. But after that you might sell a few here and there if your lucky. I am not trying to bust your balls or anything..That's just how I see it. But I will go off and say if that is what you enjoy doing then stick with it and do what you love doing. Don't let my asshole comment discourage you. If you invest into it then you are really best off assuming that it's for your own personal satisfaction. And then if you are one of the lucky ones that make a profit then thats great.

• Members

People hardly buy music at all anymore.

I'll be honest and also assume that no I don't think you'd be able to sell 700 cds.

On the other hand I DO think you should still go for it and try, regret what you did not what you didn't I always say.

• Members

The one thing that I didn't like about that song, was it sounded like you used a synth or some type of keys that gives an electric feel to a couple of parts. I say ditch it and have someone do a lead on guitar to get that effect..it will give it a more authenticate rock sound.

But what do I know, I'm just a newb. :p

• Members

IMO if you can't regularly gig it out on a wider scale, don't waste your time. IMHO for a heavier music band to be viable, they have to be willing to play out...a lot...like, tour.

If you think it would simply be on music sales alone without gigging support, I do not think you would reach your goal. Heavy music isn't like pop, where the stars simply make videos and record songs and rarely tour. You won't have radio selling you (most likely).

• Members

Truthfully, I think the video needs work. It's not up to the level of the music at all. There are good parts to it, but a lot of the cuts are in weird places (cut to a guy tapping his boot or cut to the drummer maintaining a beat and then just stay on it for way too long) and they don't emphasize the groove the music is laying down. That's the extent of my criticism, the video needs work.

The music is {censored}ing top notch. I'd not only buy a copy of the disk, but if this song is any indication, I'd really listen to it a lot. The thrash vibe kinda takes me back a few years and it really is a welcome change from a lot of the mainstream metal I've been listening to over the past few years. Go for it. You'll kick yourself if you don't.

Archived