Should I invest in my band? Listen/see and tell me would you go for it?

thefyn

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First off, I'll say that I disliked the video. I recognize and appreciate what direction it was trying to go, but as someone else mentioned, some of the cuts were lame and irrelevant to the overall jamming (also the fact that everyone is rocking out hard in a boring old studio).

Secondly, I'll say I didn't like the vocals. They seemed thin and out of the mix, and not just sonically. I just listened to it a second time and I couldn't tell you a single verse that really stood out. Instrumentally though, you guys {censored}ing rock. -1 on the {censored}ty synth work (simplify and tighten it or lose it). Makes you sound like some {censored}ty wanna-be core band, which you are far above.

Third, your look is terrible. Grow that beard out, work out a bit, let that hair get long! Drummer and bassist have all this long hair flailing about, then the camera flashes to a jewish Richard Karn. I hate to nitpick about the rock "image" but dammit, people like to see cool {censored}ing dudes playing metal, not experience repressed memories of Home Improvement. :)

I'd say if you changed that, played your asses off and fight for as much exposure as possible, hell yeah you could sell more than 700 records.

Just my personal opinions of course.

• Members

Thanks for the advice peeps.

I'll work on the video, get the vocals up, my image and some other stuff mentioned. I've had the video on about 10 different message boards for advice. So far people have said lose the pics, too much hair, some overly long shots, more full band shots, more slo motion but shorter shots. For the music, synths down, vocals up, more separation.

As for outlay, I don't have to actually pay to press/ship CD's, or downloads. I have found ways to get all that for free. So I am not going to be sitting on 700 CD's I paid for. Individual CD's get pressed in a factory in NJ, if I get an order and get sent out automated world wide and they get a small cut. I don't even need to send physical CDs for review. I will have a virtual press pack for blogs, college radio, reviewers, music mags etc etc which will have the full album mp3 for review, with links to the video(s), bios, images, reviews, interesting facts (we are 3 brothers, dad was a in a semi famous band) etc.

Again, thanks for all the pointers, abuse and praise. I am listening :-)

• Members

The "press on demand CD" thing works great. One band that I'm friends with recently released a new CD and a CD single on the same day. They have enough of a following that the CD was produce in quantity. The single was on demand. I was curious as to how that would work so I ordered both from Amazon on release day. I received the on-demand pressed CD the day before the tradition CD. I also have had no problems playing it on my computers or in my car -- I was interested in how compatible it would be since I have had issues at times with homemade CDs.

• Members

The "press on demand CD" thing works great. One band that I'm friends with recently released a new CD and a CD single on the same day. They have enough of a following that the CD was produce in quantity. The single was on demand. I was curious as to how that would work so I ordered both from Amazon on release day. I received the on-demand pressed CD the day before the tradition CD. I also have had no problems playing it on my computers or in my car -- I was interested in how compatible it would be since I have had issues at times with homemade CDs.

Yep. I can even do DVD's, shrink wrapped, pro CD's with not a penny out of my pocket. Even if I sell 5.

• Members

I own a duplicator, and do my own graphics. You can do it cheaply. I have this one, and it rules!

The only problem with that approach is that now you are biting off the order fulfillment part of the project. Nothing wrong with that, but the on-demand appoach may be more compatible with thefyn's operations.

• Members

I own a duplicator, and do my own graphics. You can do it cheaply. I have this one, and it rules!

CX-1000.jpg

Thats cool, esp if you play a lot of shows where you can sell them there.

I want to do it automated. So I don't even have to stuff an envelope etc. Printing your own is a lot of work. Ink/toner, media, packaging, receipts, paying for postage, typing out names and addresses etc etc etc. With Kunaki, it does all of this for you, and you just get a check every month. I want every aspect to be automated, even the social media where I want to be very accessible. I'll control that from reverb nation as it automates your news/updates to tweets, FB, myspace etc etc with one click.

• Members

Thats cool, esp if you play a lot of shows where you can sell them there.

I want to do it automated. So I don't even have to stuff an envelope etc. Printing your own is a lot of work. Ink/toner, media, packaging, receipts, paying for postage, typing out names and addresses etc etc etc. With Kunaki, it does all of this for you, and you just get a check every month. I want every aspect to be automated, even the social media where I want to be very accessible. I'll control that from reverb nation as it automates your news/updates to tweets, FB, myspace etc etc with one click.

You guys are both right.

But...profit margins are a good bit wider this way. More work=More money.

• Members

You guys are both right.

But...profit margins are a good bit wider this way. More work=More money.

Here is what you get with Kunaki:

CD with jewel case includes:

manufacturing/assembly

full color CD printing

jewel case

full color 2-panel insert

full color tray card

cellophane wrapping

UPC bar code

24-Hour rush manufacturing

all inclusive price

$1.00

Your time is worth $$$. I have heard your recordings/band and your time is a valuable tangible thing.

• Members

Here is what you get with Kunaki:

CD with jewel case includes:

manufacturing/assembly

full color CD printing

jewel case

full color 2-panel insert

full color tray card

cellophane wrapping

UPC bar code

24-Hour rush manufacturing

all inclusive price

$1.00

Your time is worth $$$. I have heard your recordings/band and your time is a valuable tangible thing.

There was a compliment in there, and for that I am grateful, sir!

Kunaki sounds like a great deal. :thu:

• Members

Yes.

Based on your description of your project's status, you are almost there. Why stop now? Of course, by "almost there", I mean that you are almost ready to actually make the attempt at "making it". Also, from your description, it sounds like you are largely investing in yourself -- the best partner you can have.

I'm sure this will sound stupid to some people, but $5K to $8K isn't that much money. People spend much more than that on riskier dreams (like opening a restaurant). With good discipline and a well thought out business plan you can cap your potential losses.

The quality of your clip/video is top notch for something done at a prosumer level. It should do well if it gets noticed.

It is that last point though that highlights your biggest challenge: doing enough promotion to get noticed while conducting this project as a second income source.

This and I really liked it I would buy it.

• Members

I guess Im confused as to how the $8k would be spent ?

Buying A&R info (I need to send my digital press pack to the exact email address/names to 100's of places and you need to pay for that info)

I have to buy physical discs for some applications (some music magazines, college radios etc like physical disks)

In reverb nation there are a lot of competitions, some cost $5 etc to enter. Prizes are gear, high profile website showcases, slots for big shows etc etc. Its like a virtual pay as you play battle of the bands, and if you win, you get your music played on MTV, or listed on Blabbermouth etc etc. I am going to enter into ones that are not popularity contests that {censored}ty bands in big cities win because they are fan hoarders.

A few ads here and there (not many). Also local music industry events (and some not so local like NAMM) I plan on going to with 100's of flash drives to hand out to anyone involved with the style of music I make, and instruments I use to try and get endorsements. If you buy 300 meg flashdrives in bulk they are dirt cheap, you can have a business card that has all your tracks, a music video and a digital press release on it. There will be some physical press packs sent out to heavy hitters.

My first focus are reviews. I'll only going dump money into it if I get good reviews.

Then I can take a blurb "Better than Snax 2" and use that in banners, classifieds in music mags etc.

Some will be spunked on a tour.

I'll have a fallback plan if I don't make money via being a regular band: Basically trying to go for the video-game market, and finally a showcase for my songwriting so I can try and write for others. The last throw of the dice will be to make movie scores/music.

If you check this tune I am working on:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10058853

You can see how it could be good for video games or movie scores (in the middle). It is half written, missing chunks of vocals, solos, tweaks, EQ, effects, mixing etc etc etc but it gives you an idea.

• Members

If you're going to sell CD's please also do digital downloads. I would not pay over $10 for anyone's CD. If you set it up as a $7-$8 digital download in a high quality audio format, I'd buy it now. If the only option is to buy a CD and pay shipping. I probably wouldn't do it as it's not worth it to me to pay a premium for a physical product when I do all of my music listening digitally.

• Members

If you're going to sell CD's please also do digital downloads. I would not pay over $10 for anyone's CD. If you set it up as a $7-$8 digital download in a high quality audio format, I'd buy it now. If the only option is to buy a CD and pay shipping. I probably wouldn't do it as it's not worth it to me to pay a premium for a physical product when I do all of my music listening digitally.

Yep. It is going to be on Itunes, Amazon mp3 etc etc. The number I had in mind for digital downloads is $8.95.

CD's are going to be 15 shipped. 18 worldwide.

• Members

but dont fear nurp, he said he will be putting that song on the album
:rawk:

That is my fav track on the album by far. It is called "I count to 5". I've redone the whole thing, and it sounds stiring to me. Most of my stuff make my face numb I have heard it so often. But that is the one I spin the most.

Archived