Should I invest in my band? Listen/see and tell me would you go for it?

thefyn

• Members

Well my {censored}ing browser crashed in the middle of a giant ass response :mad:

That never happens.

Anyway.

WHAT I WAS SAYING BEFORE BEING SO RUDELY INTERRUPTED BY TECHNOLOGY WAS

In terms of promotion, a silver tongue is going to get you a lot further than just throwing promo materials out. Granted, those are important and necessary, but you might want to start putting feelers out to your friends and friends of friends. I'd be willing to bet you know a lot more people than you'd think that might be able to get your information out there where people can see it.

Also I believe 1,000 cds from oasis will run you around $1,300 whereas 100 will run you around $400 (shipped and all). There are positives and negatives to both ordering too little and too much. One thing you want to remember though is you can always reorder.

Most people are going to want to order it online and digital distribution is cheap http://www.tunecore.com/

You don't want to be sitting on hundreds of cds for a couple years, especially if you want to start putting out NEW material

I know you've done bands before but if I'm correct this one is kind of a "starting fresh" thing, right? If nobody knows what to expect, you have the perfect opportunity to completely blow them out of the water. The tunes and the playing are obviously solid. I'd take time to think about what you can do with the SHOW to have people leave the venue thinking "That was something that I need to talk about".

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well my {censored}ing browser crashed in the middle of a giant ass response
:mad:
That never happens.

Anyway.

WHAT I WAS SAYING BEFORE BEING SO RUDELY INTERRUPTED BY TECHNOLOGY WAS

In terms of promotion, a silver tongue is going to get you a lot further than just throwing promo materials out. Granted, those are important and necessary, but you might want to start putting feelers out to your friends and friends of friends. I'd be willing to bet you know a lot more people than you'd think that might be able to get your information out there where people can see it.

Also I believe 1,000 cds from oasis will run you around $1,300 whereas 100 will run you around $400 (shipped and all). There are positives and negatives to both ordering too little and too much. One thing you want to remember though is you can always reorder.

Most people are going to want to order it online and digital distribution is cheap
http://www.tunecore.com/

You don't want to be sitting on hundreds of cds for a couple years, especially if you want to start putting out NEW material

I know you've done bands before but if I'm correct this one is kind of a "starting fresh" thing, right? If nobody knows what to expect, you have the perfect opportunity to completely blow them out of the water. The tunes and the playing are obviously solid. I'd take time to think about what you can do with the SHOW to have people leave the venue thinking "That was something that I need to talk about".

I have some of that shmoozing stuff in place, but not enough yet. That is exactly the type of thing I am willing to spend money on.

Show wise...I know I can't do enough shows to make it a good way (payoff wise) to put the band out there. I may squeeze out a month tour in the larger cities. But those shows will have to count.

• Members

People hardly buy music at all anymore.

I'll be honest and also assume that no I don't think you'd be able to sell 700 cds.

On the other hand I DO think you should still go for it and try, regret what you did not what you didn't I always say.

That is what I am worried about. People only buy stuff these days that they absolutely love. I've probably only bought 5 CD's in 16 months.

Peeps seem to dig it, but will it tip people over the edge to buy it?

• Members

That is what I am worried about. People only buy stuff these days that they absolutely love. I've probably only bought 5 CD's in 16 months.

Peeps seem to dig it, but will it tip people over the edge to buy it?

Playing in their town, man.

• Members

If you want a novelty for your live act then you could do what a UK band did recently. Every date of their tour they set up in the middle of the crowd, sound-guys worst nightmare i know but literally people went nuts for it, they arent even the best band in the scene either but it made their shows so much more intense. Theyve now got record companies all over them and sold out shows!

• Members

If you want a novelty for your live act then you could do what a UK band did recently. Every date of their tour they set up in the middle of the crowd, sound-guys worst nightmare i know but literally people went nuts for it, they arent even the best band in the scene either but it made their shows so much more intense. Theyve now got record companies all over them and sold out shows!

I'll get done for murder if a fan bumps my LP and pukes on my pedal board.

• Members

YES!!!

http://www.rockmymonkey.com/news/?currentPage=3

On the same page as Unearth and Black Dhalia Murder, my bands vid was mentioned.

I sent out 5 emails to some music places. BBC in the UK, they got back to me and asked for a censored mp3 for the radio. So I got played on Radio 1 as well (early hours). Sweet!

I plan on sending out 1000's of these things when the album is done. So for the handful I sent to cover us, well that is good news.

• Members

Hey UK people, the BBC in wales say they played Tock and Badfinger acording to this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011s692#clips

But the clip:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00hk2f2

Wont let me play it as I am in the USA and it is a UK thing...Can you UK peeps do me a solid and skim through it until Badfinger and Tock are mentioned and record it via you soundcard for me?

I would like to hear my first time on the BBC....

• Members

The music is certainly good enough. The biggest challenge is (and I'm sure you're aware of it:)) that there are lots of fish in the pond. But for musical quality, hell yes.

Thanks man. My plan is to market more that the other fish when the album is done.

Archived