5150 vs JCA100: which would you choose?

bengerm77

• Members

So after some crazy hijinks, I ended up with both a block letter 5150 and a brand new JCA100. The JCA is set to arrive in the mail today, and I've got the 5150 sitting in my practice space. I haven't had a chance to AB both amps yet; I haven't really given the 5150 a good listen either, it debuted at a show. Aren't they both based on the SLO design anyway, do I really need two of the same amp? Are they the same at all?

Argue amongst yourselves, why should I choose one over the other?

• Members

No, JCA is based on the Hot Rod.

Both are killer amps and are just different enough that I'd be willing to bet they'd sound pretty sweet tracked together.

Listen, I'm in over my head financially, that's not the kind of advice I need.

• Members

I've owned both and A/B'd them quite a bit. 5150 was sold and the JCA stayed FWIW. But what kind of music do you play?? The 5150 is a modern metal amp and it's more aggressive. The JCA is a high gain rock tone and sounds smoother and more organic. I can't tell you which one is better, they are both great amps and it will depend of your music style.

• Members

i've had both..owned a 5150, then a 6505+, vtm, ultra plus, mark III, jvm, stiletto, jca 100 and 20..list goes on and on.. back to the same exact 5150..full circle..i can get decent dirty tones all the way up to the most crushing tones i can imagine..cleans are kind of sterile, but when i want cleans i use my strats and my holy grail reverb to add some color..its not GREAT but its passable enough for me. the way i had my JCA100 tweaked reminded me of the peavey, but as guitarbilly said it has a much more rock oriented, organic tone, whereas the peavey sounds uber pissed off..totally depends on what you're playing but i love my 5150 and im {censored}ing stoked i got it back..good luck man, tough decision!!

• Members

So after some crazy hijinks, I ended up with both a block letter 5150 and a brand new JCA100. The JCA is set to arrive in the mail today, and I've got the 5150 sitting in my practice space. I haven't had a chance to AB both amps yet; I haven't really given the 5150 a good listen either, it debuted at a show. Aren't they both based on the SLO design anyway, do I really need two of the same amp? Are they the same at all?

Argue amongst yourselves, why should I choose one over the other?

They are similar but completely different in that the 5150 has much more gain and less clarity.

The 6505 is 6 gainstages with no cathode follower while the slo is 4 with a cathode follower.

• Members

5150 all the way. one of the best recording amps made for metal. the JCA is just a poor mans Hot Rod. whatever

lolwat :facepalm:

Both amps are "poor man" workhorses. Peavey makes good stuff but it's hardly boutique gear LOL. Both amps are equally well made and reliable. I've owned both (and a 6505+ and a HR100+), played a lot of gigs with them and I never had a single problem with any of these amps.

It's really down to personal preference, the 5150 is more aggressive, the JCA is warmer and more organic, but there is not a big difference in quality and reliability between these 2.

• Members

me?? 5150...

just a bump to smash the JCA a little more :lol:

but seriously the jca its great if you play rock and such, it has better clean and crunch, but for metal nothing can touch the 5150 (at the price range of course) definately the 5150 its not boutique but its better built then the JCA series, at least made in the usa, the jca its made in china with chinesse parts, 5150 its one of the most reliable amps with great quality parts. both great amps :thu:

Archived