Best DAW for a Mac???

Chrisjd

• Members

I recently made a thread regarding mac VS pc for recording. I love my PC but decided to also get a Mac book pro.

I am trying to be a little conservative when it comes to spending money as i just bought this new computer.

I am a COMPLETE n00b asshole when it comes to DAWS. I know NOTHING.

I need to start somewhere. What are the best choice(s) for macs? I hear reaper is better on PC but Logic is for Mac? What about pro tools?

• Members

Dude, start with GarageBand. Once you feel comfortable with it and feel like it can't do particular things you need, then step up to logic. FWIW, I've been using GarageBand for about 5 years and still don't feel a need to go to logic. What's nice though is that you can open GarageBand files in logic, so if/when you don't have to start over with anything.

• Members

I love Logic Pro but it is far from fiscally conservative.

Use Garageband to get started - Apple has really pumped it up over the past two releases. Really, Garageband will probaly do everything you need for a while. Most of what you learn in Garagband can be directly applied to Logic.

I use Logic Pro, but my son does good work in Garageband.

• Members

and good advice on starting with garage band to get a feel for the whole process of recording.

Yep, just about everything you learn in GB will port to Logic. I switched to Logic right when v8 came out it was a lot to learn at once and GB wasn't nearly as good. In GB11 they ported a few of the Logic 9 concepts to GB. Now GB is great for knocking stuff out.

• Members

and good advice on starting with garage band to get a feel for the whole process of recording.

it's really solid for people just starting out, especially for the price (free with Mac)

you can use most interfaces with it with no lag. I used my Toneport and loved it since a lot of the extra features in the "real" DAW's weren't needed for basic clips/songs. Garageband is very user friendly.

Good luck, brother and post some clips soon :)

• Members

it's really solid for people just starting out, especially for the price (free with Mac)

you can use most interfaces with it with no lag. I used my Toneport and loved it since a lot of the extra features in the "real" DAW's weren't needed for basic clips/songs. Garageband is very user friendly.

Good luck, brother and post some clips soon
:)

This too, i learnt with garageband. Its so very easy to navigate but it is lacking alot of the necessary features of a real daw like a decent limiter. I made some awesome songs on garage band and its a great intro to logic.

• Members

I personally prefer Logic Pro 9 over everything out there by a LONG shot, but that's just me, I would strongly advise you to research (and get the demo versions of every thing you can) to see what suits you best, you may end up liking another DAW more than Logic, though that would be my own personal reccomendation.

• Members

Never tried it on a M:oc but Reaper is a great DAW. It was kind of intimidating at first but read up on their forums for a bit and it quickly becomes one of the most powerful and versatile DAW's out there... for free (I liked it enough to buy the license but it's not necessary, just wanted to support them)

• Members

Stick with garageband for now and get an Apogee Duet (or the single channel version). Once you get comfy, upgrade to Logic.

Good advice here. The apogee stuff is pricey but good. You will have a very good interface as a foundation and GB is plenty good enough to work with for a while.

• Members

Garageband isnt a bad place to start. As has been stated its not bad for demoing and messing around. If you like the layout then Logic is the next logical step (no pun intended). If you decide that layout is not for you, then you should try Reaper. Its fine for OSX. Pro Tools is great. Cubase has its fans. It all comes down to personal preference.

Archived