The single most talented living musician .

fretless

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm a huge ATDI fan but seriously, Omar is nowhere near the top.

Funny, I can't stand ATDI. But I still prefer him over 3/4 of those mentioned in here. Such are the perks of subjectivity I suppose.

*EDIT* For good measure, Fripp is always a fine choice as well.

• Members

Paul McCartney is probably the best answer I can think of. He started as a singer/guitar player for probably the biggest band ever. Then when the bass player quit just before they went big he took over and became an icon bassist. During the years of the Beatles showed he was also an accomplished piano player, and may have even put down some of their drum tracks. Not sure. Anywho check Chaos and Creation at Abbey Road to see him do his thing. FWIW I have seen him live and even at his age is still quite the showman. Can definitely achieve the one man band thing.

Dave Grohl was my first thought. He was in a band, that like it or not, did help define a generation. Then moved on and created another band that has put out solid music for years. Maybe not a band that will go down as one of the best ever but def one of the great rock bands of our generation. Add to that the fact that he can single handedly create an album and it's hard to disagree IMO.

Prince is also in the one man band list. I've never been a fan but of what I have seen can't deny his talent. An absolute beast on the guitar and can also play the simplest part at just the right time.

I'm sure there are others out there but that's my votes so far.

• Members

Phil Collins... the man and play and write.

Agreed, but he loses all of his talent points for flat-out ruining Genesis.

And seriously people, of all the talented people still alive you pick Dave {censored}ing Grohl? He can't even sing live...

• Members

Ruining?

Before that they just rambled on endlessly with no point what so ever. Peter Gabriel leaving Genesis was the greatest thing for both, instead of everything being about his costume changes, both Gabriel and Genesis actually had to go out and write songs...with hooks and a beat. Prog Rock was just jam bands for pseudo-intellectual. Hell, 99% of the Western population couldn't even name a Gabriel-era Genesis song, but they'll know the words to I Can't Walk!

Oh, and to the OP...

Prince.

Best multi-instrumentalist musician. Best composer.

He can out-play Grohl and out-write McCartney when he doesn't have Lennon to collaborate with or Geo. Martin to polish the work. And I am NOT a big Prince fan.

I don't really think Warren Haynes is versatile enough to be best musician. But then, that may not go to a pop/rock player at all. Rock is sort of the bush leagues in music...4/4 beat, 3 chords and all..it isn't every complex.

• Members

Ruining?

Before that they just rambled on endlessly with no point what so ever. Peter Gabriel leaving Genesis was the greatest thing for both, instead of everything being about his costume changes, both Gabriel and Genesis actually had to go out and write songs...with hooks and a beat. Prog Rock was just jam bands for pseudo-intellectual. Hell, 99% of the Western population couldn't even name a Gabriel-era Genesis song, but they'll know the words to I Can't Walk!

Early Genesis goes way beyond prog rock. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is one of the greatest albums ever by anybody and certainly is way better than anything they released without Gabriel. Just because early Genesis songs were long does not mean they were without hooks. The later Genesis albums are completely indistinguishable from Phil Collins' solo work. They are completely one and the same. Saccharine poppy and boring.

As far as post Genesis is concerned Gabriel > Collins still. Just saw Gabriel a week ago with an orchestra and was moved to tears multiple times.

• Members

Early Genesis goes way beyond prog rock. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is one of the greatest albums ever by anybody and certainly is way better than anything they released without Gabriel. Just because early Genesis songs were long does not mean they were without hooks. The later Genesis albums are completely indistinguishable from Phil Collins' solo work. They are completely one and the same. Saccharine poppy and boring.

As far as post Genesis is concerned Gabriel > Collins still. Just saw Gabriel a week ago with an orchestra and was moved to tears multiple times.

Bah. There is a reason why the last five Genesis studio albums outsold all other Genesis albums AND Peter Gabriel solo albums put together. Because they are just damn catchy.

Hell. Phil's solo career is no slouch either....No Jacket Required itself has outsold Gabriel's entire solo catalog.

• Members

Bah. There is a reason why the last five Genesis studio albums outsold all other Genesis albums AND Peter Gabriel solo albums put together. Because they are just damn catchy.

Hell. Phil's solo career is no slouch either....No Jacket Required itself has outsold Gabriel's entire solo catalog.

I'm right and you're wrong.

Archived