Your favorite Celestion is...

Seattle Doug

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Can't believe that some would take a tinny G12T-75 over a V30??

I literally just don't understand that.

Do people actually dig the sound of a 1960a?!?
:lol:

Yes and that's why it's an A

Really and that's why a lot of bands use them because they are awesome.

I can't believe some people like {censored}ty v30's it's like nails down a blackboard..... Actually worse and more piercing

• Members

I can't believe some people like {censored}ty v30's it's like nails down a blackboard..... Actually worse and more piercing

The last term I would use to deserve my cab is "piercing"

Although I hated the sound of my 1960a because it was too bright and really directional.

My Boogie 4x12 absolutely annihilated it. Much fuller, warmer etc etc.

I don't see how anyone can switch that argument around... :confused:

I've never heard a V30 sound "nails down a chalkboard/piercing"

When did you come to this conclusion??

• Members

Nothing to do with Angled and Base then??

Plus Marshall make the AV, AX etc.

They cost more than the standard A though. They sound better too.

The joke you missed it.

And yes I have owned amps and cabs with V30's and I found the bright and peicing, broken in 75's are much better to my ears.

• Members

The last term I would use to deserve my cab is "piercing"

Although I hated the sound of my 1960a because it was too bright and really directional.

My Boogie 4x12 absolutely annihilated it. Much fuller, warmer etc etc.

I don't see how anyone can switch that argument around...
:confused:

I've never heard a V30 sound "nails down a chalkboard/piercing"

When did you come to this conclusion??

interesting.

Bright and directional are EXACTLY how my oversized Recto 4x12 sounded. I'm starting to think I had a dud.

FWIW, every cab sounds different. You are making some pretty big generalizations here based on one 1960A and one Mesa 4x12.

Most 1960A's sounds very smooth and not very directional to me. :idk:

• Members

I dunno, I have always though 75's sound inherently scooped and cold. I wouldn't class them as a warm speaker.

Loads of people have 1960a's round here. Obviously they are a common cab, but I have never heard one and thought it sounded good. :idk:

horses for courses..

• Members

I dunno, I have always though 75's sound inherently scooped and cold. I wouldn't class them as a warm speaker.

Loads of people have 1960a's round here. Obviously they are a common cab, but I have never heard one and thought it sounded good.
:idk:

horses for courses..

Were they broken in and dialled right, for me they are an easy speaker to work with, also every ones ears are different.

Also matching the right amp speaker and cab can be a challenge, also just because 5 amps work with 1 cab that 1 amp you try might have the opposite effect.

• Members

interesting.

Bright and directional are EXACTLY how my oversized Recto 4x12 sounded. I'm starting to think I had a dud.

FWIW, every cab sounds different. You are making some pretty big generalizations here based on one 1960A and one Mesa 4x12.

Most 1960A's sounds very smooth and not very directional to me.
:idk:

When I bought my first Recto Cab about 8 years ago, I thought I was finally living it up. I just couldn't figure out why my Marshall started sounding laser beam focused, obnoxiously middy, and in general grating on my ears. Didn't project well, cut too well to the point of leaving a gaping hole between my guitar and the bass, and just couldn't be dialed in properly.

I've never heard anyone describe the 1960a with 75's as bright and directional. Probably the least directional cab I can think of. If anything, the nice low end usually fills the room and most of the sonic landscape between the bass and vocals. 75's are very articulate speakers as well, especially when hit with a lot of volume. For a slightly less colored version the CL80's are awesome. I really don't like speakers that provide more EQ shaping than most EQ pedals.

• Members
As a guitarist I enjoy greenie's and v30's

As an AE i'd like to say the g12-75 is the worst "recording" speaker on this planet

That is strange considering I've been to two studios that like recording with the 75 because it is balanced.

• Members

That is strange considering I've been to two studios that like recording with the 75 because it is balanced.

to each his own of course, although calling the 75 balanced might be stretching the truth. Each guitar speaker has it's own distinct mid spike, and I personally find the one in 75's very unappealing

Archived