Your favorite Celestion is...

Seattle Doug

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

so I wondered what this OP intent has garnered...I took a rough tabulation, surely I am leaving out a couple of the ultra low voted, did not really pay a {censored} ton of attention to unique votes, disregarded a number of tl/dr posts and probably made a few mis-counts either way....I'm a helper, I don't claim to be a quality helper. This is my count:

G12 - 12votes

V30 - 13 votes

T75 - 9 votes and 2 negative votes

K100 - 9 votes

GB - 15 votes

Blue - 2 or 3?

CL80 - 2 or 3?

not very official, but I take away it is still a pretty evenly mixed bag, greenbacks in the lead, but only slightly...for all the V30 hate, it seems they still score up top as well.

cheers fellers. :thu:

• Members

so I wondered what this OP intent has garnered...I took a rough tabulation, surely I am leaving out a couple of the ultra low voted, did not really pay a {censored} ton of attention to unique votes, disregarded a number of tl/dr posts and probably made a few mis-counts either way....I'm a helper, I don't claim to be a quality helper. This is my count:

G12 - 12votes

V30 - 13 votes

K100 - 9 votes

GB - 15 votes

Blue - 2 or 3?

CL80 - 2 or 3?

not very official, but I take away it is still a pretty evenly mixed bag, greenbacks in the lead, but only slightly...for all the V30 hate, it seems they still score up top as well.

cheers fellers.
:thu:

Seems an odd count clearly some are negative towards the V30(myself included). I think the deal with the 75's is the type of amp used AND the choice of volume. IMO 75's sound better as the volume goes up and that bedroom wankers (and weak engineers) prefer V30's. The fact that those who dislike a 1960 with 75's thought it was directional is proof. As the volume goes up they fill out the space and become less directional. Anything you play at bedroom levels will be directional -its just your corksniffery fooling you into thinking otherwise!

• Members

G12H30 Heritage Greenbacks. Hated these at first, but once broken in, pure sex. They have a really warm dark top with a very wooly fuzzy sounding aggresive midrange, and a HUGE {censored}ing thumpy low end. Easily the loudest speaker I've ever heard. Only speaker I've ever heard that is more aggresive than the V30. Very Vintage, but very raw at the same time. Love them.

• Members

G12 - 12votes

V30 - 13 votes

K100 - 9 votes

GB - 15 votes

Blue - 2 or 3?

CL80 - 2 or 3?

cheers fellers.
:thu:

Hey! Thank you - this was very nice of you.

• Members

Hey! Thank you - this was very nice of you.

you're welcome, like I said, may not be accurate...I only kind of skimmed everything, at first I was only taking 1st picks, then a couple dudez wouldn't ball up and pick ONE...;) "depending on application" so I started marking everything they mentioned...hardly scientific...just noting that overall it still looks like a crap shoot one way or the other... :o

Should note that there were a lot of variations of G12 and I always only knew of G12H (heritage...) and now a recent post makes me think that G12 = Greenback, so maybe G12H are the vast winnner by far :D, whatev...I had a few spare minutes for dicking around :D:o:thu:

• Members

you are welcome to go back through the thread an make your own tally...did you make a tl/dr post against V30? I probably didn't count it.
;)

I shouldn't have even mentioned the negative votes for the T75s....apparently they seemed specific to me at the time. On the same note, V30 hate in this thread seemed pretty generic to me at the time. On the flip side, a {censored} ton more than I expected listed V30 without qualification one way or the other.

Whether or not I was accurate, I certainly didn't go out of my way to artifically inflate V30
:idk:

you're welcome, like I said, may not be accurate...I only kind of skimmed everything, at first I was only taking 1st picks, then a couple dudez wouldn't ball up and pick ONE...
;)
"depending on application" so I started marking everything they mentioned...hardly scientific...just noting that overall it still looks like a crap shoot one way or the other...
:o

Should note that there were a lot of variations of G12 and I always only knew of G12H (heritage...) and now a recent post makes me think that G12 = Greenback, so maybe G12H are the vast winnner by far
:D
, whatev...I had a few spare minutes for dicking around
:D:o:thu:

If the v30 hate generic you should have included it because I think doug wants to know what people want to include in his products.

Remember most metal players like v30's were a lot of non metal players hate them.

I will add it also depends on your amp and that does change your (anyones) opinion.

• Members

Only Problem, GT75's don't actually get loud enough to play really loud

whaa?

naw.. i dispute that.. but they're amazing for CONTROLLING a 50 or 100 watt amp.. :D eh-- they don't really get GREAT until you push them into bleeding ears, for real. but as a 412 speaker, they're unflappable, and are pretty beastly. i still like cl80's better.. but i don't sneeze at having a 1960 full of 'em (particularly a straightfront).. they're definitely a 'control' speaker though- whereas a greenie or blue is a 'lack of control' speaker... :D

• Members

whaa?

naw.. i dispute that.. but they're amazing for CONTROLLING a 50 or 100 watt amp..
eh-- they don't really get GREAT until you push them into bleeding ears, for real. but as a 412 speaker, they're unflappable, and are pretty beastly. i still like cl80's better.. but i don't sneeze at having a 1960 full of 'em (particularly a straightfront).. they're definitely a 'control' speaker though- whereas a greenie or blue is a 'lack of control' speaker...

Let me preface this by saying I always, always, always use ear protection.

I'm just joking about them not being loud. But they seriously aren't ever loud enough for me to use. I used them with my current band one time, and they just didn't cut even with my Splawn Quickrod with the volume above half. But my bass player uses a Mesa 400 bass amp and gets his "Tone" by over driving the power section of his amp with a Ampeg 8x10 cab so speakers like Greenbacks and GT75s litterally don't have enough juice to compete in that situation. That's what I mean by not loud enough. For the sane who don't use max ear protection all the time, they are probally super loud, for the insane situations I deal with, they don't cut the mustard volume wise.

Tone wise? GT75s are some throaty full ass mothers with great "controll" as you said when you crank them with a 100w amp.

• Members
If the v30 hate generic you should have included it because I think doug wants to know what people want to include in his products.

Remember most metal players like v30's were a lot of non metal players hate them.

I will add it also depends on your amp and that does change your (anyones) opinion.

V30s have a lot warmer clean sound to them. I've heard them sound really good for mid gain rock too beause of that warmth. I find the g12t75 is good for taming some amps and you can run your volume higher with them to cook your tubes.

• Members

okay, - 1 vote for V30, the guy that said "anything but a V30", which subsequent posts indicated that he may or may not have been kidding.

Srsly dude, count them up for yourself. I'm not going back through the thread again. You might want to. You might be surprised to find the numbers indicate there is less hate for V30 than you perceive. I was. If you draw the conclusion that the entire thing is skewed by too many broots, then great, fantastic for you. I wasn't trying to make any inferences one way or the other. :idk:

The OP can count them up for himself as well. It's all right here, in the thread. I was just curious, took a quick sample, and noted that whether it's specific or not, to me, it looked generally like a mixed bag....certainly jmo.

Archived