Anyone still got vinyl records?

Crunchtime

• Members

I grew up in the 70's and 80's so I have a sentimental appreciation for records.:cool: I have a small collection of about 75 records.

I remember this time me and my older brother were cranking a Kiss record and my Mom told him to turn it down a couple times and he cranked it more. She grabbed the Kiss record and smashed it.:eek:

csb.

• Members

I've got a few, although I don't have anything to play them on at the moment. Should really do something about that.

Mostly I like having the old vinyls of certain old releases that sound like {censored} now that they've been "remastered", like the old Scorpions stuff. Occasionally something new will come out that I think would suit being on vinyl, so I'll pick it up. Shame I can't {censored}ing listen to them at the moment. :lol::facepalm:

• Members

I have about 300 70's and early 80's Hard Rock/Metal albums on Vinyl.

They are just sitting in a closet and unplayed for the past 25 years.

I break mine out of the closet a couple times a year, Brings back tons of memories. Would be a waste to never play them, imo.

• Members

I still have quite a few. I grew up listening to stuff like GBH, 7 Seconds, Motorhead...and my collection is mainly old hardcore, punk and metal. I also have a bunch of stuff that once belonged to my dad that I can't part with for some reason although I never play it (Judy Garland, Frank Sinatra...). I also have 2 record players also (an old Thorens and an old Dual). I had to have an "entertainment center" built for our new home so that the turn-table had a good spot. I could not find anything big enough in stores to hold my tv, stereo components, front speaker and turn-table.

• Members

I have a bunch of contemporary stuff, some house music... outkast, sage francis, mos def mars volta {censored} from when i thought i was a hipster, {censored} i thought was artsy enough to be frameable (i.e. "whipped cream and other delights), etc

but i also have GOLD... such as EVERY {censored}IN KANSAS AND THIN LIZZY ALBUM THAT EVER {censored}IN MATTERED.

but my new stereo receiver doesn't have a phono input. (n00bs will be surprised to know that you need a dedicated 'phonograph' input for various reasons like signal level, frequency compensation, etc) so nowi can't listen to my vinyl; the jewish bone in me won't let me re-buy albums that i already own in one format, and the audiophile in me won't allow me to download inferior-quality mp3s... so i'm stuck with cool album artwork and nothing but memories of how much my setup FRIGGIN ROCKED in college...

• Members

I have a bunch of contemporary stuff, some house music... outkast, sage francis, mos def mars volta {censored} from when i thought i was a hipster, {censored} i thought was artsy enough to be frameable (i.e. "whipped cream and other delights), etc

but i also have GOLD... such as EVERY {censored}IN KANSAS AND THIN LIZZY ALBUM THAT EVER {censored}IN MATTERED.

but my new stereo receiver doesn't have a phono input. (n00bs will be surprised to know that you need a dedicated 'phonograph' input for various reasons like signal level, frequency compensation, etc) so nowi can't listen to my vinyl; the jewish bone in me won't let me re-buy albums that i already own in one format, and the audiophile in me won't allow me to download inferior-quality mp3s... so i'm stuck with cool album artwork and nothing but memories of how much my setup FRIGGIN ROCKED in college...

I think you can just buy an ext preamp

• Members

You need an external phono stage, lots available of varying price. Even tube driven phono stages! If you just want a good reasonably priced one i would recommend a used Cambridge Audio 640p.

• Members

sumthin' like 300 LPs, everything from 1970s-'90s rock, punk and new wave stuff: Black Flag, B52s, Devo, Kansas, Styx, Boston, Allman Brothers, Doobie Brothers, Metallica, Beastie Boys, Missing Persons. Then there's a bunch of jazz like Miles Davis, Clifford Brown, Freddie Hubbard, Jazz Messengers etc., and quite a bit of classical. I spin 'em every once in a while. Got a nice TT back in the late '90s, a VPI HW19 II, and have modified it over the years. Damn shame Shure stopped making cartridges, but that's how it goes. Got one of the very last V15 type V mx before they were gone gone gone. Have one spare stylus left, then that's it.

Archived