Ever try raising a 2x12 off the ground?

Slaymoar

• Members

I am used to using a 2x12 at floor level, on its casters. The sound shoots at the legs and you end up using more treble, and it translates to {censored}tier sound on the PA.

Today I just put my 2x12 on top of a bench so the center of the speakers are at belly button level, and the tone is {censored}ing fantastic. I lowered the treble which improved the sound. The spread is so much better and I can hear myself with a much warmer tone all over the room. Its like there is a better presence of low end, and the mids come through better. I ended up turning the master volume down a good notch and can still hear myself quite well. I tried raising it another foot so the speaker centers were at chest-neck level, but it felt like it was shooting right in my ears, and frankly the spread didn't really benefit from it, it only got harder on the ears.

What a difference. I think I will make myself a portable 2x12 support like this:

94957420-260x260-0-0_VOX+AC30VS30+Amp+St

:love:

• Members

Then why's it still not sound right if I crouch down in front of my cab vs raising it off the ground?

I dunno. The v30's in my Mesa cab are extremely directional. They sound way different depending on where you're standing. I'd imagine that taking your cab completely off the ground removes some of the perceived low end you get from whatever floor it's on.

• Members

I dunno. The v30's in my Mesa cab are extremely directional. They sound way different depending on where you're standing.
I'd imagine that taking your cab completely off the ground removes some of the
perceived
low end you get from whatever floor it's on.

Probably because of the port along the bottom of the back baffle of my Randall cab.

• Members

Probably because of the port along the bottom of the back baffle of my Randall cab.

I guess. I'm not too versed with cabs, and can't really comment on the port thing, becuse all my cabs (past and present) have all been fully sealed designs.

• Members

Cab looses all it's bottom end, once it leaves the ground.

Mic'd up no difference

Cab looses all its FAKE boundary effect induced bottom end once it's off the ground, and you're just left with the actual bottom end the speakers are creating.

I tend to have my 2x12 combo on a coffee table in practice that lifts it up maybe 50cm. At gigs I'll stick it on whatever to decouple it from the ground.

• Members

Cab looses all it's bottom end, once it leaves the ground.

Didn't for me... in fact, the boundary effect of a cab on the ground happens at about 150-250Hz, which is not really low end. You'll get a better low end by placing your raised cab about 4-5ft from a wall.

Archived