The best kept secret - Blues amps that rival fender for half the price!

weeman

• Members

Okay so i was looking to purchase a new clean/blues amp for a new music project i was starting with some friends. I couldnt use my ENGL of my spider valve as they were too loud and the channel distortions were overkill aswell as other veriables which made them unusable. So i tried out laneys, fenders, blackstars, peavey classic! and a hayden. It just sept alot of money for such a small project that was only just geting the wheels moving. After trying amps for two weeks and nearly buying a few of them i decided the gain wasnt worth my cash they were either too expensive or just cheap and full of high gain for children under 20!

So i looked around for small valve amps that had the same spec i was wanting - 15watt all valve atleast 2 pre and 2 post valves, spring reverb if possible and most of all a good clean channel. Eventually i sumbled upon the Belcap amplifers with tons of spec for little money. After a careful decision i decided the amp was worth the risk and the money even accept returns if i was unsatisfied within 60days!. So i purchase a Belcat Tube 20R which is the same spec as the fender blues JR with the addition of a standby and afew CM in length and height.

The amp itself itreasonably small its about a 4/5 the size of my ENGL screamer 50 and contains a 12inch celestion 70/80. I stright away pluged in my mexican player deluxe strat and began to experience something i wasnt comfortable with. I was hearing a fender amp that wasnt a fender at all! or was it?. My friend just bought a blues junior 2 or 3 week prior to me geting my belcat and i have to say this amp is as much a fender as his blues JR but with a different taste. The single channel amp is very clean i mean possibly cleaner than the Blues JR but it saturates quicker and does it in a 70's fashion think the who or the kinks. You dont really get overdrive you just get saturation when this baby is woundup really high.

One major difference if any is the spring reverb instead of geting that fender cavernus sound you get this short plate sounding spring which is really good at the rockabily sound of the 50's. The amp isnot harsh and its topend is suprisingly tame whilst is lows and mids pack a hell of a punch just the sound i was looking for in a amp. Ive got to say it cost me

• Members
Okay so i was looking to purchase a new clean/blues amp for a new music project i was starting with some friends. I couldnt use my ENGL of my spider valve as they were too loud and the channel distortions were overkill aswell as other veriables which made them unusable. So i tried out laneys, fenders, blackstars, peavey classic! and a hayden. It just sept alot of money for such a small project that was only just geting the wheels moving. After trying amps for two weeks and nearly buying a few of them i decided the gain wasnt worth my cash they were either too expensive or just cheap and full of high gain for children under 20! So i looked around for small valve amps that had the same spec i was wanting - 15watt all valve atleast 2 pre and 2 post valves, spring reverb if possible and most of all a good clean channel. Eventually i sumbled upon the Belcap amplifers with tons of spec for little money. After a careful decision i decided the amp was worth the risk and the money even accept returns if i was unsatisfied within 60days!. So i purchase a Belcat Tube 20R which is the same spec as the fender blues JR with the addition of a standby and afew CM in length and height. The amp itself itreasonably small its about a 4/5 the size of my ENGL screamer 50 and contains a 12inch celestion 70/80. I stright away pluged in my mexican player deluxe strat and began to experience something i wasnt comfortable with. I was hearing a fender amp that wasnt a fender at all! or was it?. My friend just bought a blues junior 2 or 3 week prior to me geting my belcat and i have to say this amp is as much a fender as his blues JR but with a different taste. The single channel amp is very clean i mean possibly cleaner than the Blues JR but it saturates quicker and does it in a 70's fashion think the who or the kinks. You dont really get overdrive you just get saturation when this baby is woundup really high. I major difference if any is the spring reverb instead of geting that fender cavernus sound you get this short plate sounding spring which is really good at the rockabily sound of the 50's. The amp isnot harsh and its topend is suprisingly tame whilst is lows and mids pack a hell of a punch just the sound i was looking for in a amp. Ive got to say it cost me

• Members

wow - better?

Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.Much better.

• Members

This site has the 50 watt tube amp for 199 pounds, on sale.

I don't believe the Fender Blues Jr's or any of that line are built in the states, so I wouldn't complain about the Belcat being built in China

I bought this because my ENGL 50 and spider valve 40 were way overkill for my needs. This doesnt need to be loud and sounds great without blowing my head off.

Archived