Zent may meltdown on TGP.

riffy

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The thing with me is, I was one of the first, if not THE FIRST to use an Axe-FX on this or any other forum back in 2006. I dig the Axe and will be buying an Axe-FX II as well.

Cool...but is it right for people here to egg him on and push his buttons? Just to feel better about themselves and look cool?

• Members

Cool...but is it right for people here to egg him on and push his buttons? Just to feel better about themselves and look cool?

Nope. I am guilty as charged.

Thanks for calling me on it too.

Gotta go t a gig now.

Gary

• Members

This.

Honest question, do people use these in conjunction with their tube heads?

Yeah you can use just the effects from the Axe-FX. Jimmy Herring uses just the rev/delays into his Fuchs/Fenders. I think John Petrucci only uses the effects with his too.

• Members

Yeah you can use just the effects from the Axe-FX. Jimmy Herring uses just the rev/delays into his Fuchs/Fenders. I think John Petrucci only uses the effects with his too.

You can use preamps (not just it's FX) in front of a guitar amp. You just have to be very aware of settings...and just because it doesn't work on ONE guitar amp doesn't mean it doesn't work.

• Members

Never heard of this guy.

His point about the younger generations not wanting real amps is just way off though. Be a sound engineer today for a single gig and try not to get pissed off with the cheap ass modellers that are doing the rounds in these younger bands. If you're lucky, someone might turn up with at least a midrange Digitech. Oh joy of joys.

Add to that that unless you're playing a 10k seat venue and opening up for Slayer, chances are you are playing a venue with a {censored}ty cheap underpowered PA system most likely with some inexperienced ape behind a cheap Spirit Folio desk insisting you turn down anything louder than a gnat's prolapse.

Its really rare that you find a good venue capable of relying on the house PA to warrant using a good modellers like the snax or pod hd and not worry about an amp. I know of two I frequent regularly and every time there's a modeller I use, I can always tell. The cleans sound great but any dirt tones just flatten in the mix. Add a full band and I struggle to hear iot. Add a second guitarist with a real amp and it's buried. It's a shame, a band came through recently with a snax and a Mesa dual rec. I know the sound guy on for that night and I know he knows his {censored}, but in the full distortion moments all I could hear was the Mesa; the snax, despite sounding very good, just fell flat. And I've not seen a single clip where that is any different.

My mileage and I believe I'm experienced enough to be happy with that opinion. I'm sure there will be plenty of posts getting all Macfanboi with "musta dialled it in wrong" or "{censored} sound guy" but nah, it's why modellers aren't the future and in any live situation will never be the future.

In the studio though, theyre excellent. I make extensive use of my pod hd and love it. Admittedly I never expected modelled tones to ever get as good as they are now, but they are certainly not a replacement for a guitar amp. Part of guitar playing is in how the guitar reacts to the speakers in your cabinet or combo. Not some full range cheap PA speaker manned by an ape with "sound man's complex"

• Members

To be fair, his posts do the same thing. It's on-topic trolling as far as I'm concerned. Zent can play. But he can also take this whole sanx vs. real amps too far. His only argument is that this is the future of amps with no way to quantify it. Same argument religious types use for the existence of god. "You can't prove that it ISN'T true, therefore, I'm right."

• Members

To be fair, his posts do the same thing. It's on-topic trolling as far as I'm concerned. Zent can play. But he can also take this whole sanx vs. real amps too far. His only argument is that this is the future of amps with no way to quantify it. Same argument religious types use for the existence of god. "You can't prove that it ISN'T true, therefore, I'm right."

Your point is taken. I understand completely. He does get pushed though...maybe, as you say, rightly so.

• Members

Your point is taken. I understand completely. He does get pushed though...maybe, as you say, rightly so.

Yeah, I won't disagree with you there. I think people around here get sick of the same poster posting the same subject over and and over again while never really adding to the original point. Point made, taken, and exhausted. No need to keep jamming it down everyone's throats. He's not the only person that does this, that's for sure.

Overall, I don't mind zenty so much, but I do get tired of reading his "omg :snax:fx is amazing most bestast technologee evar n ur toob maps are exstinkt nao!!!" threads. So, I just don't click on them...usually.

• Members

Everyone thought tube amps were going out in the 80s. Guess what? They came back! It's apples and oranges; they offer two different things. There's nothing wrong with modelers. They aren't going to replace tube amps, though. Likewise, tube amps will not replace modelers. They will coexist and eventually evolve together; the Spider Valve is the first iteration of this. I'd really expect to see more amps like that in the next 5-10 years.

• Members

What? The majority of their threads have always been posted by old farts, or at least people who's souls have prematurely aged and reached the GTFO my lawn stage far too early in life.

And cue making fun of H-CAF. We're not immune either. It may be a little more...um...versatile, by design. But I assure you H-CAF is not immune. People may THINK it's not....but people at TGP don't either. LOL kinda.

Archived