Okay cool kids from the 80's; who's willing to admit they owned the album Thriller?

EricJohn

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not gonna say I hated it, but I honestly never wanted it. I remember living 1984 from Van Halen and done of the early hip hop. But I do remember when Bad came out and I hated that! Lol. You knowb it!

I have a cassette of me singing that song as a child, that I recorded on my brown FisherPrice tape recorder. It's my first recording as a "musician". :lol:

My dad was in the other room listening to Rush. You can hear it in the background.

• Members

HCAF:

people that hate "popular" music >>>>>> likes stuff nobody's ever heard of

if you don't like "popular" music, ok then. but it's not "worse" just because your fave band tunes to Q and couldn't write a 4 chord melody to save their lives. i enjoy songs i can remember as well as the chugga chugga in Drop M#.

If that was directed at me then you don't have any idea of what I like or how I play, or music I dig.

• Members

I just ordered a metric butt ton of food from Jason's Deli for my department to reward them for working today, so I'll eat, have a few award/recognition things to give out at a town hall I called and then I'm OUT!

I'm doing job cold calls and then switching my provider to Verizon and nabbing that DROID Razr thingy. ATT eats my ass in The Woodlands. No service inside the house = FTMFL

• Members
HCAF:

people that hate "popular" music >>>>>> likes stuff nobody's ever heard of

if you don't like "popular" music, ok then. but it's not "worse" just because your fave band tunes to Q and couldn't write a 4 chord melody to save their lives. i enjoy songs i can remember as well as the chugga chugga in Drop M#.

I don't listen to metal for the most part, or care who has heard of what band. I just know what I like and let my ears tell me if I want to continue listening to it. Others have no influence on that :)

if MJ came back from the dead and threw together an Indie rock outfit and started singing with a gravely voice in a MUCH lower pitch then I would be all over that {censored}!

• Members

I don't listen to metal for the most part, or care who has heard of what band. I just know what I like and let my ears tell me if I want to continue listening to it. Others have no influence on that
:)

if MJ came back from the dead and threw together an Indie rock outfit and started singing with a gravely voice in a MUCH lower pitch then I would be all over that {censored}!

{censored}ing hipster.

• Members

I don't listen to metal for the most part, or care who has heard of what band. I just know what I like and let my ears tell me if I want to continue listening to it. Others have no influence on that
:)

he can't shave or bathe either, right?? :lol:;)

• Members

Purple rain > thriller.

I listened to van halen, ratt , journey , wham, prince, , Duran Duran.

All that {censored} was popular when I was in 5th grade.

Never got into mj.

This, but come on Wham!? Never. I also had an older kid (he was 13, I was 8 ) who lived across the street and he was pretty much already on his way to jail and a life of crime. Lol anyway, I used to go over there and feed mice to his boa constrictor and he would put on Slayer, Destruction, Metallica, Mercyful fate, etc. All that definitely influenced me at a young age.

• Members

This, but come on Wham!? Never. I also had an older kid (he was 13, I was 8 ) who lived across the street and he was pretty much already on his way to jail and a life of crime. Lol anyway, I used to go over there and feed mice to his boa constrictor and he would put on Slayer, Destruction, Metallica, Mercyful fate, etc. All that definitely influenced me at a young age.

I never had a wham album but I'd play it on the jukebox lol.

And " we built this city on rock and roll" . I hung out with a lot of older kids and my older sisters friends that's where I got into the ratt and def Lep at an early age. I didn't get into metal until 6-7 grade.

• Members

The album came out when I was in high school and in all honesty, I tried my best to avoid it, which was virtually impossible as the time. I never was a MJ fan (nor, in gradeschool was I a J5 fan) and truthfully just never "got" it. I certainly respect what his music means to people, and his contributions to pop/culture generally - I just personally can't stand to listen to him. Prince on the other hand...

• Members
Bit similar to lady Gaga of today if u strip away the image and "entertainment" value, its really not that great of music.

:facepalm:

Yeah, most of radioplaylist pop music is indeed bland and musically insignificant crap. BUT Michael Jackson and the crew involved in creation of the Thriller were really highly talented people and the album, though unshamefully pop, is good one. AND Lady Gaga is also a pretty talented artist of modern days.

Yeah, I could kinda agree with your rant if you replace Michael Jackson with some one-hit wonder from the 1980's (e.g. Tommy Tutone) and Lady Gaga with something like Ke$ha or Lil Jon. But stripping off the image and entertainment value the fact remains that both Michael Jackson and Lady Gaga made some great and unique pop music. Thriller the video undoubtedly boosted the interest to the album but Michael Jacson was pretty big and on the verge of bursting into major stardom already in his Jackson 5 days - videos and all were just icing on the cake.

Archived