Regarding JCM 900s....

colejustesen

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The MkIII is what I've used for yeeeears and it's awesome. No cleans really but does awesome hot rod Marshall tones.

I've been using it more lately since acquiring the Charvel and remember why the 900 is still a bad ass amp if used in the proper setting.

What is sounds like to me, is that I can't go wrong with either the MKIII or the SL-X... I am glad to know that there is some love out there for these amps, and they aren't the dogs that everyone has made them out to be. By chance, do you have any clips of the MKIII and your charvel???

Cole

• Members

I used to have a DSL100 and it was overkill for me, as I ended up not playing out the way I anticipated. I would typically run my head at about 3-4 when I had it. Do you know how the two compare volume wise, the DSL and JCM 900? I figured, if I could get a 50 watt head, run it at half power and use a 1x12 cab; it would be a lot less loud than say using a 2x12 or 4x12 cab with it (at home at least).

Cole

• Members

i always thought they sounded fine.. pretty much a marshall- but i don't use a ton of gain. there's way worse sins out there, and you could do way worse for more money.

I am not big on lots of gain, but I do like a good amount of crunch. The heaviest I would be probably playing is in the realm of Godsmack or White Zombie... somewhere around there.

Cole

• Members

Originally Posted by ido1957

If you want to hear what a JCM900 4100 High Gain Dual Reverb 100 Watt sounds like check out the songs on my Sig link (Soundclick). Rhythm is an 83 Kramer w/Schallers and Lead varies from EC Strat to same Kramer. All using the same amp....

Those are some awesome tracks you have! That sound is somewhere in the neighborhood of where I want to be, maybe a tad bit more drive and oomph. However that sounded really great! Thanks for suggesting them to me!!!

Cole

Thanks Cole - I'm running gain at about 6/10 so there's some room for more if that's what you need. I have EL34's in there now...Plus Master is sitting at about 4.

• Members

I had a Marshall 900, I traded it for a 5150 which later traded in for a Peavey classic 30.

I thought the 900 was a boxy sounding amp, and I had the amp in my basement with a home office on the same floor so when the wife and kids were gone during the day I dimd the amp, never was happy with the tone.

I now own a DRRI and a Mesa F50 and I am thru looking for amps. Whoops don't say never or forever. I am happy for now and the last 7-8 years.

• Members

I thought the 900 was a boxy sounding amp, and I had the amp in my basement with a home office on the same floor so when the wife and kids were gone during the day I dimd the amp, never was happy with the tone.

It is a bit boxy, but that's what I consider the Marshall midrange which can translate well in a mix. I can understand the sort of dry and "square" tone might feel a little lacking all by itself. I run mine in stereo next to a Single Rectifier and it fills in the whole spectrum.

• Members

I used to have a DSL100 and it was overkill for me, as I ended up not playing out the way I anticipated. I would typically run my head at about 3-4 when I had it. Do you know how the two compare volume wise, the DSL and JCM 900? I figured, if I could get a 50 watt head, run it at half power and use a 1x12 cab; it would be a lot less loud than say using a 2x12 or 4x12 cab with it (at home at least).

Cole

They're both pretty similar volume-wise. As in they can get very loud...the DSL sounds better at lower volumes though. Honestly, 50 and 100 watts are both pretty similar in volume, even at half power...so just embrace it :lol:

• Members

I've owned a bunch of JCM900s.

The SL-X is certainly the one to get if you want near instant gratification. It's a very good amp and it's easy to dial in a great od tone.

I owned the DR and hated it. However when my SL-X went tits up, I went back to it. However, with a good EQ and boss SD-1, I'd actually say the DR was my favourite of the series. After getting the SL-X back and using it and the DR side by side, I ended up trading the SL-X for another DR. IMO these are the gem of the series.

The master volume JCM900 is great too, however needs to be running full tilt to get the best out of em.

The SL-X is a great amp, but I maintain that the DR ultimately has the Marshall tone youre after for only a little tweaking.

That said, given that TSL100sand even the Jvm410h series exists, I'd see no reason to go back to JCM900s. To me the modern Marshalls have everything the older amps have but a little more versatility. You just need to play with tube brand and tweaking to get the tones.

• Members

That said, given that TSL100sand even the Jvm410h series exists, I'd see no reason to go back to JCM900s. To me the modern Marshalls have everything the older amps have but a little more versatility. You just need to play with tube brand and tweaking to get the tones.

I'd agree with you, but JCM 900's can be picked up much cheaper than JVM's.

An SLX went on ebay for

• Members

Puts flame suit on!

How close does the Bugera 1990 Infinium get to the real deal?

And which 900 is it imitating?

I know, for a couple hundred more you could get a used 900.

But, for someone really needing to stretch their dollar, is this

2nd generation of Bugera's finally a viable alternative?

• Members

TSL100s certainly do not suck! I've owned the TSL100 and DSL100 multiple times and the amount of utter hogwash on the net about them is just facepalm worthy - and that's a massive gorilla palm on a midget's face too!

IMO, the tones you get in the DSL100 can be matched pretty much exactly with the TSL100; the TSL100 just has an extra channel to slightly complicate things, but is actually more versatile as a result! The only reason I don't have the TSL100 anymore is simply because I like the JVM410H better than either it or the DSL100. That said, if the JVM410h didn't exist, I'd buy the TSL100 again before the DSL100, unless an amazing deal came up!

Similarly, the technical problems I experienced with the TSL100 were all too easily mirrored on the DSL100s. I only ever had one tranny go on the TSL100 (edit - Marshall invoice to hand, they charged me

• Members

+1 I had a 50w DR and it was a GREAT amp.

Best live rock tone I've ever heard was a buddy that had a 4500. He had that thing dimed all the time and had to cover it so he didn't kill people with the volume, but it sounded stellar for hard rock tones.

• Members

So what you are saying is the DR is a better sounding amp than the SL-X or the MKIII?

Cole

All things considered, yes. The mk iii is great, but I found you need to be absolutely gunning it to get the sound. Admittedly, I didn't spend too much time with it, I didn't get the chemistry factor.

The SL-X is a great amp and I'm sure will make all the right noises for the OP. However, when dialled in right, the DR wipes the floor with it. The key thing I felt was the low end. The DR seemed to maintain a really solid low end and the only thing to take care of was balancing the zeddy mids with the gain, which require the EQ pedal and a little effort. But yes, if it was my money, it'd go on the DR... I know it's badmouthed to hell, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

• Members

Having owned a MKIII and I still own the SL-X says it all as far as I am concerned, however I would echo what was said regarding the gain on the SL-X the pre-amp does the meat of the gain and the gain control is the hair. I really liked the MKIII but I stuck with the SL-X, I just found it better to my ears IMO.

• Members

Well out sounds like that I need to at least try DR. Does anybody know what the difference in the schematics between the DR and the master volume versions, besides the number of channels?

Cole

So many different opinions at this point, you just need to try them if possible. Different models of the 900 appeal to different players but they're all good.

• Members

So many different opinions at this point, you just need to try them if possible. Different models of the 900 appeal to different players but they're all good.

The problem around this area is that I have never seen an SL-X or a MKIII, hell I haven't even seen a JCM800. I do see the Dual Reverb pop up from time to time, but I really don't have the best opportunity to just go and play them and see which I like best. I have heard some clips on Youtube of the DR 4500 and 4100 that sound pretty damn good! However, I think I am still leaning towards the MKIII or the SL-X at this point. It is too bad, a 50 watt SL-X just sold on ebay for $500 that I was hoping to snag. There is a 50 watt MKIII currently on there going for $600 + $70 shipping... I don't know if I should I get that, or wait and see if I can find a better price...

Cole

• Members

i've had all the 900's. The SLX is a beast of an amp, great in a live mix and very easy to dial in. The MkIII isnt quite the same, it somehow sounds a little bit more brittle, its still good but i think the SLX is better. I prefer the Dual Reverbs to both of them though, i know a lot of people show them hate but i think they're a great amp.

Archived