Regarding JCM 900s....

colejustesen

• Members
haha... The reason I asked about the DSL is because I really like it, based off the response I could determine if his opinion would match mine...

Cole

I'm not saying the 900 will be perfect for ya, but tons of artists have used/abused/toured/recorded with all variations of the 900. The Dual Reverb is my personal least favorite of the bunch, with the mkIII being my favorite, however all of them are serviceable if they're in proper working order. I think the mkIII high gain sounds like an 800 with more gain.

grumphh is just a loser. look through his post history to verify.

anyway, if you tried it out through the 1965 cabinet (4x10 Marshall that's narrower than the full size 900 head) just skip that experience entirely. Those are awful cabinets with plastic jacks, thin plywood, and to be honest I hated mine. Made everything aside from my '65 Bassman sound terrible. I had to reinforce it, replace the jackplate, and do several other things just to keep it working.

Try it through a proper cabinet loaded with 12" speakers. Especially the SLX or the MkIII high gain. The Dual Reverb can sound good, but you have to turn it up like a proper Marshall.

Hope this helps, brutha :thu:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

900's are shrill pieces of {censored}e whose only redeeming quality it is that they hide the amateurish playing of their owners, because people involuntarily cover their ears when they hear one turned up. And yeah they are loud amps.

Ymmv.

The first channel will show your mistakes you know. If you don't know how to use one no reason to slam it. 900's are solid amps. And as for shrillness, sometimes speakers/cabs/guitars/bad fingers are definately more important.

• Members

900's are shrill pieces of {censored}e whose only redeeming quality it is that they hide the amateurish playing of their owners, because people involuntarily cover their ears when they hear one turned up. And yeah they are loud amps.

Ymmv.

I've always remembered you as a decent poster, but seriously:

WHAT CRAWLED UP IN YOUR ASS AND DIED???

• Members

Don't pay attention to that dweeb. Check his post history if you need proof of his lame ass trolling. Seriously, he's a pathetic old man that needs to troll hcaf to get his jollies. pretty sad. Also, his clips suck balls because he has to play at TV volume since he's just a bedroom wanker.

he's either trolling jcm900 threads, or political threads.

First time you came at me with that attitude i got scared and thought "OMG what if this guy can actually play? :eek:, i'd be up {censored} creek..."

Then i found some of your clips and didn't worry anymore because taking tone advice from someone like you - a guy who couldn't even outplay Kurt Cobain - is pretty meaningless...

• Members

Oh, and as for 900's - some of them really are shrill and toppy and if you want that ballsy Marshall roar a 2000 or 800 is probably the way to go.

At least play an 900 extensively before you buy, and if you don't like its basic tone walk away from it. Cause it isn't the tubes or the speaker making it sound like it does.

There is a reason these go cheaply, and the reason is not that they are the undiscovered gems of the Marshall family tree.

• Members

Can you tell me some more specifics of why the SL-X appealed to you more so than the MKIII? Sound wise, as well as what type of music you play? Thanks!

I guess it was just a personal preference, the SL-X has a more throaty mid range, but I think an EQ pedal in the loop really opens up the amp, when I first got one I thought there was a lack of bottom end. I also like to run the gain and pre-amp around noon and slightly boost it, for those hard rock moments.

• Members
HCAF did
:D

Sorry, but this is the place i go to for trolling, because honestly the ratio of nice people vs. complete and utter E-dickheads has changed dramatically in favour of the latter in the last years.

You are the latter. So leave and help improve the ratio.

• Members

The reason 90s go for relatively cheap, is that there have been more 900s sold than almost any other amp EVER!!! That is a {censored}ing fact.

And McD is probably the most succesful food chain in the world. Quantity accounts for what?

You are the latter. So leave and help improve the ratio.

Not until i can get some right wing idiots here to spontaneously combust from rage at seeing blatantly liberal viewpoints :D

And again, read closely about the 900's - many people need EQ's in the loop or similar to get them to an acceptable tone.

Why not just get an amp that delivers good tone in the first place, without having to resort to cheap fixes?

• Members

And again, read closely about the 900's - many people need EQ's in the loop or similar to get them to an acceptable tone.

Why not just get an amp that delivers good tone in the first place, without having to resort to cheap fixes?

I read somewhere that simply putting a patch cable in the fx loop helped improve the tone??

• Members

I read somewhere that simply putting a patch cable in the fx loop helped improve the tone??

Possibly? :confused:

...all i know is that i see no reason to buy an amp where you (often) need to "improve the tone" right out of the box.

There are so many amps out there that need nothing of the sort - so why bother?

Because it has the Marshall faceplate on it and you can get it cheap?

• Members

Possibly?
:confused:

...all i know is that i see no reason to buy an amp where you (often) need to "improve the tone" right out of the box.

There are so many amps out there that need nothing of the sort - so why bother?

Because it has the Marshall faceplate on it and you can get it cheap?

actually I'm starting to see 900 prices go the same way as 800 prices, esp the SL-X. DSLs seem to be cheaper these days, I guess people are buying them up now for future values?

• Members

actually I'm starting to see 900 prices go the same way as 800 prices, esp the SL-X. DSLs seem to be cheaper these days, I guess people are buying them up now for future values?

Anything old enough will to musicians automatically be "better" :D Personally i'd take any of Marshalls modern offerings over a 900 any day of the week.

Take three-bolt 70's strats that weigh in at more than your average LP... They are apparently fantastic vintage guitars with price tags to match. :facepalm:

As for the SL-x - on paper it seems to be a better amp than the rest of the 900 family, and could well be. After all, the 900's are a varied bunch. I don't particularly care for the 900 mode on my 6101.

I really have no idea wether it does sound better or not, but the "all tube" tag probably helps its value...

In any case, when buying amps listen closely to any amp you buy, and judge it on its tone alone, not the faceplate.

• Members
Anything old enough will to musicians automatically be "better"
Personally i'd take any of Marshalls modern offerings over a 900 any day of the week.

Take three-bolt 70's strats that weigh in at more than your average LP... They are apparently fantastic vintage guitars with price tags to match.
:facepalm:

As for the SL-x - on paper it seems to be a better amp than the rest of the 900 family, and could well be. After all, the 900's are a varied bunch. I don't particularly care for the 900 mode on my 6101.

I really have no idea wether it does sound better or not, but the "all tube" tag probably helps its value...

In any case, when buying amps listen closely to any amp you buy, and judge it on its tone alone, not the faceplate.

and there we have it. this dip{censored} was making all of his assumptions and trolling tactics based off a "mode" on his POS 6101. Widely considered one of Marshall's biggest failures :thu:

are you just mad that the 900 is going up in value while people still toss the 6101's aside like the {censored} they are? :D

• Members

I'm in the same boat right now - trying to decide between a 2000 or 900.

The 900's lack a 'real' clean channel, correct?
They're more like a light crunch and overdrive channel when dialed correctly?

Please correct me if I'm wrong - I haven't gotten to play one yet (none at my GC).

The DR has a real clean channel, but not as good as the DSL. The others (MKIII/SLX) are basically single channel amps with dual master volumes.

• Members

First time you came at me with that attitude i got scared and thought "OMG what if this guy can actually play?
:eek:
, i'd be up {censored} creek..."

Then i found some of your clips and didn't worry anymore because taking tone advice from someone like you - a guy who couldn't even outplay Kurt Cobain - is pretty meaningless...

I'd also suggest you not to attack other people's playing if you have a glass jaw.

And in your case, you have a whole glass face. Because your clips...well...

That's all I will say for now, but come at me if you wish.

Thread was going well, until you posted your ignorant and incorrect bull{censored} about an amp that you clearly do not know how to use.

• Members

And McD is probably the most succesful food chain in the world. Quantity accounts for what?

Not until i can get some right wing idiots here to spontaneously combust from rage at seeing blatantly liberal viewpoints

So you are actually playing 800's or 2000's crancked without any sort of pedal?

Also I am tired of conventional design of amps: bass mid treble fender or marshall like at the end of the preamp mean that no matter how much you like your sound you may have to change it within the band just to make it cut. Pressence helps a little, ressonance also but if you cranck, negative feedback circuits become less effective especially on smaller wattage amps. Which leaves you with a pedal in the loop, preferably an eq to make room corrections without having to change your favourite settings that match your guitar.

Where the {censored} are randall's mid notch tunes? Mesa's and fryette graphics? Pressence controls that affect even the preamp? New power amp designs?

Recycling old ideas is something regular for guitarists and designers. So the 900 is just another marshall style amp in essence>It will deliver, I know it does, everybody that crancked one and chipped in about it know also. A pedal in the loop? Why the {censored} not?

And if you are for cheap fixes, it is smarter to do this, than fetch for another amp alltogether possibly more expensive and with another sound alltogether.

• Members

I was going to buy a vintage Plexi head about 2-3 years ago that used to belong to Keith Scott (Bryans Adams guitarist).

I contacted him to ask about the amp and he told me the history of it, I also asked him a bunch of questions about his Hiwatts and how he got certain tones on various songs. he's used lots of classic amps and boutique stuff like the Blankenship Variplex.

I asked him what he's currently touring with and he said two JCM900's, he also uses two Plexi heads and AC30s. he can use whatever he wants and chooses the JCM900's.

I have a friend tuoring in a major act right now that could use anything he wants, he's using two 900's.

I'm pretty sure that Billy Gibbons was using them and Dusty Hill was using them for his bass rig. if guys don't like them that's fine, but to say they're {censored}e is just admitting that you probably can't coax tone out of an amp because you can't really play.

I know I'm rambling but I'm just trying to reassure anyone who's thinking of buying one

and Guitarbilly is bang on

• Members
I was going to buy a vintage Plexi head about 2-3 years ago that used to belong to Keith Scott (Bryans Adams guitarist).

I contacted him to ask about the amp and he told me the history of it, I also asked him a bunch of questions about his Hiwatts and how he got certain tones on various songs. he's used lots of classic amps and boutique stuff like the Blankenship Variplex.

I asked him what he's currently touring with and he said two JCM900's, he also uses two Plexi heads and AC30s. he can use whatever he wants and chooses the JCM900's

I have a friend tuoring in a major act right now that could use anything he wants, he's using two 900's.

I'm pretty sure that Billy Gibbons was using them and Dusty Hill was using them for his bass rig. if guys don't like them that's fine, but to say they're {censored}e is just admitting that you probably can't coax tone out of an amp because you can't really play.

I know I'm rambling but I'm just trying to reassure anyone who's thinking of buying one

and Guitarbilly is bang on

Being an admitted Bryan Adams fan, I don't doubt the gear Keith uses because he's an awesome player. Glad to know he rocks those 900's, thanks! :thu:

Archived