Regarding JCM 900s....

colejustesen

• Members

So I have decided I want to give a Marshall JCM 900 50 watter (as I have owned a JCM 2000 DSL) a try and have been reading up on them. From what I gathered, the Hi Gain Dual Reverb is the one to stray away from, and the Hi Gain Master Volume heads were the gems in the series...

I have wanted an SL-X for such a long time, and thought that it was the only JCM 900 to look at. Though doing my research, it seems to me that the the Hi Gain Master Volume MKIII has an overall better tone than that of the SL-X (though most people said not by much) for hard rock, whereas the SL-X excelled better at metal and that it could get a bit mushy if you have the gain high enough. Also, I have gathered that the Mark III head uses diodes to help get into the high gain territory, whereas the SL-X uses an extra 12AX7. Also, from what I have read the MKIII was made for only a couple of years (from like '90-'92), then they started making the SL-X for six or seven years after that. I also know they tote the same model number 2100/2500 for the heads...

I thought I had my mind set on the SL-X, but the more I read, the more I wonder if the Hi Gain Master Volume MKIII would be a better option for me. I am not much of a metal player, though I do dabble a bit. I am more of a hard and classic rock kind of guy. I like the features on the JCM 900s, especially the high/low switch in the back to cut the wattage in half (Thus the reason I want the 50 watter).

So for those of you who have played the JCM 900s I have talked about, I would love to hear your opinions on them.

Also, I know this forum will say to get something else (like the DSL again), but I have been intrigued by the SL-X (and now the Hi Gain MKIII) for so long that I really need to just try it out, or it will never be out of my mind.

Thanks!!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've owned all three and like them all, but you've heard my input already :lol:. People give the Dual Reverbs too much {censored}. They do sound great, you just have to work for it a little more. Diodes =/= bad, look at all of the other amps that are highly regarded that use diodes, the Jubilee for one. One of the better live tones I've heard was a guy with a cranked 4100 and a LP Standard. You just have to learn the EQ because it can get grainy sounding if you aren't careful.

The MKIII seemed to me like a 800 with a little more gain and a little thinner. Badass amp...pretty similar to the SL-X layout wise.

Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. I think for what you're looking for, you'll prefer the SL-X or MKIII.

• Members

My good friend/ex-bandmate still has the original tubes when he bought his SL-X back in '92. He never got to play it as often or much in a band context. When he joined us, he was using his Valvestate combo.

I should pretty much convince him to sell this to me huh? How much would a halfstack cost? This one just went straight from GC to his house, and never left his bedroom.

• Members

I have the SL-X but I haven't tried the MKIII. The gain on the SL-X does get mushy when up high, so I usually run it 1/2 to 3/4. It does hard rock just fine. I think it's better at hard rock than it is at metal due to the limited amount of usuable gain compared to other high gain amps. It does metal fine, especially with a boost. For chunky sounds, the key is to run the preamp volume control a little higher and the gain lower or midway. The preamp volume is the fat control, and the gain is the edge/bite. Running both high makes things squishy. The amp has a very crunchy midrange grind that I like.

• Members

I have the SL-X but I haven't tried the MKIII. The gain on the SL-X does get mushy when up high, so I usually run it 1/2 to 3/4. It does hard rock just fine. I think it's better at hard rock than it is at metal due to the limited amount of usuable gain compared to other high gain amps. It does metal fine, especially with a boost. For chunky sounds, the key is to run the preamp volume control a little higher and the gain lower or midway. The preamp volume is the fat control, and the gain is the edge/bite. Running both high makes things squishy. The amp has a very crunchy midrange grind that I like.

Thanks for the advice! May I ask what tubes and speakers you use with it? There were a few 50 watt SL-X heads on ebay that disappeared before I could come up with the cash, and now I see the MKIII heads available... I know if I wait it will pop up sooner or later, but I just don't want to get one and really wish I had got the other. It sounds like to me that they both are good amps.

Cole

• Members

Thanks for the advice! May I ask what tubes and speakers you use with it? There were a few 50 watt SL-X heads on ebay that disappeared before I could come up with the cash, and now I see the MKIII heads available... I know if I wait it will pop up sooner or later, but I just don't want to get one and really wish I had got the other. It sounds like to me that they both are good amps.

Cole

I'm using JJ 12AX7s in the preamp and SED EL-34s in the power section. The cab is a VHT 2X12 Fatbottom with Eminence P-50Es.

• Members

If you're more of a classic/hard rock player, don't discount the Dual Reverbs either. I think the main reason a lot of people hate on them is that they don't do modern high gain out of the box. They will, but you need a boost and an EQ in the loop. However, for anything from classic rock up to 80s metal, they kick ass all by themselves.

Of the 2 choices though, I think I would go Master Volume MkIII.

• Members

Billy, have you ever compared the DR to either the MKIII or the SL-X? I really like the idea of having a single channel amp. When I had my DSL I used the green channel with the crunch button pretty much exclusively and rolled back the volume on my guitar to clean things up.

EDIT: Billy, how would you compare the 900 series to the Peavey Classic 50?

Cole

• Members

Billy, have you ever compared the DR to either the MKIII or the SL-X? I really like the idea of having a single channel amp. When I had my DSL I used the green channel with the crunch button pretty much exclusively and rolled back the volume on my guitar to clean things up.

EDIT: Billy, how would you compare the 900 series to the Peavey Classic 50?

Cole

I have not compared it directly to the MKIII or SLX (as in an A/B test) but I have tried them all. They all sound really good, with the SLX being the thickest and more aggressive sounding. But the DR is my favorite because of the versatility of a 2-ch with reverb set up.

Comparing it to a Peavey Classic 50.. the classic 50 sounds good at any volume while the DR, like a true Marshall, sounds {censored}ty until it's pretty loud, but once you get the volume up, it sounds bigger and more articulate than the C50.

BTW, I'd suggest staying away from the 900s unless you plan to give it some serious volume. These amps do not sound good at low levels. Neither does the 800 for that matter.

• Members

Billy, as far as turning it up that is the reason why I want the 50 watt version. That way I can flip the power switch and run it at 25 watts.

Ido, I will check out your clips when I get home. Thanks
:thu:

Cole

It's still loud at 25w. Not as much as 50w obviously, but it will still fill a room pretty well when the volume is where it sounds best.

• Members

I've owned all three.

The SLX is absolutely brutal.

I like the DR a lot, and it's a real headscratcher to hear everyone talk about how awful it is.

Loud and in a band, it sounds awesome.

That's the issue. Most of the 900 hate comes from people trying at the store or at their bedroom and thinking it sounds {censored}ty, and in that scenario, it really does. But turn it up and put in a band mix and it's classic Marshall tone all the way.

• Members

I've always thought they sounded good on the green channel cranked with an od pedal.

Then again, using the amp in that way, there are a LOT of amps that sound good loud with an od :D

I don't think I've ever played a single one that I liked on the "drive" channel. Regardless of speaker choice. :idk:

JME of course.

• Members

I've always thought they sounded good on the green channel cranked with an od pedal.

Then again, using the amp in that way, there are a LOT of amps that sound good loud with an od
:D

I don't think I've ever played a single one that I liked on the "drive" channel. Regardless of speaker choice.
:idk:

JME of course.

That is true, the DSLs that I have had sounded awesome on the clean channel with a bit of drive; and an overdrive in front was :love::rawk:

Cole

• Members

I know it's not a JCM 900, but the JCM 800 2210 is a beast and does hardrock/metal very well. Honestly, I've never understood the need for more gain for metal.

I would love to try a JCM 800, but they are limited in numbers in my area... I know they are well loved, but because they are loved means the prices are still pretty high for them. On average, I can snag a 900 series for $300-$400 cheaper.

Cole

• Members

If you want to hear what a JCM900 4100 High Gain Dual Reverb 100 Watt sounds like check out the songs on my Sig link (Soundclick). Rhythm is an 83 Kramer w/Schallers and Lead varies from EC Strat to same Kramer. All using the same amp....

Those are some awesome tracks you have! That sound is somewhere in the neighborhood of where I want to be, maybe a tad bit more drive and oomph. However that sounded really great! Thanks for suggesting them to me!!!

Cole

Archived