This is why Carvin gets a bad rap about having ugly guitars...

grunge782

• Members

I'd rather see a sick guitar player on an ugly guitar, than a beautiful guitar being played by a hack. ;) Any day.

Case and point: Holdsworth. You can make fun of his guitar all day long and he'll just keep playing circles around everyone.

That said, I would never buy a Carvin :lol:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

green one: hot from the ass to the chin, generic headstock

quilt one: quilt is gaudy, pickups are super fugly, abalone block fail, headstock is generic as {censored}.

red flame: gorgeous from the jackplate to the 21st fret. inlays are :freak:, headstock (pattern?) lameness. also, PRS-bite-itis.

• Members

it just makes you wonder, like how could someone, after a long day at the design table for a new product, look at that and say: "yup! awesome! run it! looks great!"

and then it baffles me that others would go "yes, i agree"

and that nobody down the line would say ANYTHING. and that this guitar would come out the finishing bay, get tested, set up, glossed up for pictures, sent around the world, heaven forbid the {censored}ing thing be PURCHASED by some poor guy, and have it take until now....right {censored}ing now, on HCAF...... for some to go: "um...holy {censored} thats ugly".

the world is an amazing place sometimes.

• Members

Carvin has lots of great looking guitars. Flying V headstock on that one is kinda dumb, but Gibson did it on the Marauder first. I'm not a fan of the color, but whatever, it's called personal taste right. If you think people aren't entitled to it, move to North Korea.

• Members

I don't think it's a matter of Carvin producing ugly guitars. I'd put the blame right on the people who are choosing the options. It's their tastes and preferrences that dictate the final look. It's both a blessing and a curse to Carvin. They provide all these options to choose from which is great for customizing. Buyers with "good taste" end up with guitars that are appealing to look at. And then you see these hideous creations and the blame gets put right back on Carvin, who did nothing more than cater to the buyer with "poor taste".

• Members
Virtually none of them come with binding nor do they use a lot of abalone. The real abalone culprits in the guitar business are schecter. And that crap isnt even real. And before im accused of It I will flat out admit that im a carvin fanboy. But thats only because I got sick of overpaying for guitars of lesser quality. I will admit that the guitar above is ugly. But that is the fault of the person who ordered it. Not carvin. I would have to suggest holding off on bashing carvin untill you have played or owned a couple. Having owned many customs I can say without hesitation that their quality is top notch and rivals many guitars 2-3 times their price. And if you want a high quality american guitar at a reasonable price they virtually have 0 competition.

binding is an option on nearly all of their guitars.

• Members

oh yeah nothing against the colorin the OP. looks like it belongs on an entry level ibby GAX or something, but nothing wrong with it at all.

and also, for the record, that 12 string in line headstock? doesnt offend me
:idk:

I would love to see a picture or two of your personal guitars. But then again I would understand if you dont want to expose your daisy rock collection.

• Members

that just isnt true. they offer the natural binding but don't do traditional binding at all. never seen a carvin with binding on the neck or headstock.

Agee. I believe the only models you can get body binding on are the TL60 and AE185. I could be wrong. Btw, I hate neck binding. Would much rather have wood under hand than plastic.

• Members
Agee. I believe the only models you can get body binding on are the TL60 and AE185. I could be wrong. Btw, I hate neck binding. Would much rather have wood under hand than plastic.

hmmm, I guess they eliminated that option on their full line. You used to be able to get binding on nearly all their models.

Archived