OT, Job paycut???

Space coyote

• Members

I honestly don't know if I can do that, there's only so much bull{censored} I can put up with and still have self respect.

Like I said man...TALK to them. Hell he told you to come talk to him in his email. He sounds willing to negotiate. He didn't specifically say he was going to dock you to $8 an hour or fire you. Go talk to him, he's human...most humans are reasonable to some extent.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Obviously my question was about the ones that don't have a contract.
:facepalm:

Who makes $150k+ a year and doesn't have a contract? Especially a lawyer. Just saying its not realistic.

OP, sounds like your boss made {censored}ty decisions and now he's trying to cut costs somewhere to make up for it. I'd think about taking a $3 paycut but anything more and I'd tell him where to stick it.

• Members

Who makes $150k+ a year and doesn't have a contract? Especially a lawyer. Just saying its not realistic.

In your last post you said... "Probably have a contract". Now you're saying that no one is making is $150K without a contract?

Dude you aren't even smart enough to understand the point of my post, much less going around proclaiming everyone has a contract that makes that much money.

• Members

Tell him either:

A. You'll work less hours at the same wage and he can make up the 10 or so hours a week with whatever guy will work for $8 an hour

B. Quit and tell him to {censored} himself with a sharp pointy stick

C. Tell him you are willing to take a paycut to $16 an hour as your wage is now $17 an hour because he's a dick and you are willing, thru the abundance of kindness in your heart, to help him out.

A. might work, B will obviously work and youd be suprised how often C. works. Quitting wont put you under major financial burden so unless you enjoy being a martyr i dont see why you'd stay.

• Members

find new job asap.

{censored} in his fruit stand.

BAM.

why are we still talking about this? if your wife does well, and she's OK with you just quitting, quit. while looking for a new job, clean the house and cook for her and {censored}. she'll love it, and you get to keep some self respect.

• Members

You do not recall correctly. The employee does not have to accept a pay cut. If he does not, and is consequently released, that is not being fired for cause, and the employee is entitled to unemployment. If the employee refuses the pay cut, and has hours cut back, that also is grounds for collection of partial unemployment. If the employee refuses the cut, is kept on, and the employer pays him at the lower rate, the employee can quit and still collect unemployment, as well as file suit for unpaid wages. That last scenario is unlikely, though. Either the employer will back down, or he'll fire the OP. Either one is a win for the OP.

Hmm . I'd like to think this was true as it would give the OP and many people in this situation the power , please share your source for this . I thought for sure if he were to refuse it , it would = quitting .

• Members

Also id like to mention that the only reason he is telling you about the 2 $8 an hour guys is because he wants to pay you less not because he wants to hire them, in fact he probably really doesnt want to have them work for him.

If he was serious about saving money he would have just fired you and hired them.

• Members

In your last post you said... "Probably have a contract". Now you're saying that no one is making is $150K without a contract?

Dude you aren't even smart enough to understand the point of my post, much less going around proclaiming everyone has a contract that makes that much money.

People making $150k probably have a contract. I'm asking who doesn't. I didn't say everyone does.

And yes, I understand what you're saying. I'm just saying it's an extreme situation that isn't likely. If it happened, I'm sure there would be a huge problem to deal with :lol:

• Members

People making $150k probably have a contract. I'm asking who doesn't. I didn't say everyone does.

And yes, I understand what you're saying. I'm just saying it's an extreme situation that isn't likely. If it happened, I'm sure there would be a huge problem to deal with
:lol:

It wasn't a matter of likeliness. Likeliness is irrelevant. It was meant to question how the amount between what a person makes and what they would be reduced to would affect them getting unemployment, or if that even mattered.

Oh and BTW in the late 90's I was making $125/hour without a contract for about 9 months.

• Members

Here's the original email I got:

I have a situation that needs addressing, as you well know thymes are tough and tight in the finacial world, point blank we cannot not afford to pay you 15.00 pr anymore, we want you at the farm because of all you have learned about the work we all do ,I find that you are a valueble person but we have got to somehow cut back on what we pay out in labours, come by and talk with me anythyme and we will see if we can come up with a program that will work with all , I have had 3 men come and tell me that there is not much to do , and that basically any of them would work hard for what ever they could get payed and even take food and veggies as part of their renumeration for services re

ndered.Chris, a 27 yr old ,Mike Dyndyks the contactors son,he is now out of business, anyway the boy is deaf and dumb,he reads lips and signs, good carpenter and mechanic will work for full thyme all he can for $8. pr, so that is the delima that we face, I have got a lot of decisions to make if we are to servive the crunch, and you know that I take care of what I need too, think your situation over and please see if we can work something out

You should reply to him in writing saying you cannot agree with the pay cut but you are more than happy to continue to work at the current rate. Pretty much force him to say he will have to let you go, so you can collect unemployment. Do NOT discuss this with him in person until you have done so, just so you have written proof of what actually happened.

• Members

If you've been getting paid at $15 an hour that's an implied contract. You've both had a meeting of the minds whereby you've been performing ____ services for ____ dollars and since he's been paying you for 6 years you both agree, hence the meeting of the minds.

It's an implied contract.

He doesn't get to change his side of the bargain any more than you get to go in and dictate the terms of your job description.

So if you refuse the paycut and he fires you it's not for cause. Don't tell him any of that tho because he'll just fire you for something else.

• Members

Here's the original email I got:

I have a situation that needs addressing, as you well know thymes are tough and tight in the finacial world, point blank we cannot not afford to pay you 15.00 pr anymore, we want you at the farm because of all you have learned about the work we all do ,I find that you are a valueble person but we have got to somehow cut back on what we pay out in labours, come by and talk with me anythyme and we will see if we can come up with a program that will work with all , I have had 3 men come and tell me that there is not much to do , and that basically any of them would work hard for what ever they could get payed and even take food and veggies as part of their renumeration for services re

ndered.Chris, a 27 yr old ,Mike Dyndyks the contactors son,he is now out of business, anyway the boy is deaf and dumb,he reads lips and signs, good carpenter and mechanic will work for full thyme all he can for $8. pr, so that is the delima that we face, I have got a lot of decisions to make if we are to servive the crunch, and you know that I take care of what I need too, think your situation over and please see if we can work something out

No only is your boss an asshat, he's a dumbasshat.

LOL...quit and find something else inside of 2 seconds. Let him employ deaf+dumb and see how that works for him...lol

• Members

Also id like to mention that the only reason he is telling you about the 2 $8 an hour guys is because he wants to pay you less not because he wants to hire them, in fact he probably really doesnt want to have them work for him.

If he was serious about saving money he would have just fired you and hired them.

Why not try and get the right guy to work for less first? With that "email" he's off his rocker enough to at least TRY it.

• Members
You should reply to him
in writing
saying you cannot agree with the pay cut but you are more than happy to continue to work at the current rate. Pretty much force him to say he will have to let you go, so you can collect unemployment. Do NOT discuss this with him in person until you have done so, just so you have written proof of what actually happened.

Good answer.

• Members

Why not try and get the right guy to work for less first? With that "email" he's off his rocker enough to at least TRY it.

Thats pretty much my point, he's using the economy as an excuse to pay him less. He probably isnt hurting at all, he's just a cheap bastard.

• Members

I thought for sure if he were to refuse it , it would = quitting .

Incorrect. It's not quitting until you say, "I quit." Refusing to take a pay cut is not the same as quitting. All you are doing is putting the ball back in the employer's court. At that point, it's up to the employer to decide whether they want to keep paying you at the current wage, or if they'd rather let you go. The email shown above pretty clearly indicates that it would not be for cause, but rather for financial reasons. Therefore, the employee would be entitled to receive unemployment.

As Ricky Bobby says, he should address this in writing, and keep every bit of communications on the subject to back up his claim, but the facts seem pretty clear, as presented by the OP.

Here's a little backup (North Carolina Law, but I imagine this is similar to law in most states):

V. North Carolina Unemployment Benefits

An employee who is fired by an employer is presumed to be entitled to Unemployment Compensation from the North Carolina Employment Security Commission if they have wages in 2 out of the last 5 calendar quarters. There are exceptions. (1) An independent contractor is not eligible for unemployment. (2) A claimant is disqualified if he was fired for

• Members
Incorrect. It's not quitting until you say, "I quit." Refusing to take a pay cut is not the same as quitting. All you are doing is putting the ball back in the employer's court. At that point, it's up to the employer to decide whether they want to keep paying you at the current wage, or if they'd rather let you go. The email shown above pretty clearly indicates that it would not be for cause, but rather for financial reasons. Therefore, the employee would be entitled to receive unemployment.

As Ricky Bobby says, he should address this in writing, and keep every bit of communications on the subject to back up his claim, but the facts seem pretty clear, as presented by the OP.

Here's a little backup (North Carolina Law, but I imagine this is similar to law in most states):

V. North Carolina Unemployment Benefits

An employee who is fired by an employer is presumed to be entitled to Unemployment Compensation
from the North Carolina Employment Security Commission if they have wages in 2 out of the last 5 calendar quarters.
There are exceptions. (1) An independent contractor is not eligible for unemployment. (2) A claimant is disqualified if he was fired for

Archived