OT, Job paycut???

Space coyote

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

how much of a paycut are we talking here?

Well, I take home $15 per hour, he says he has guys coming in willing to work for $8 per hour because times are tough. I've been there for 6 years. Everything was fine until a little over a year ago, I was the lone employee and business was good, then he hired his son, which hasn't made my job any easier btw. Now he's says he needs to cut back on payroll. This is a farmers market, I'd call myself a Jack of all trades, farming, carpentry and maintenance, whatever needs to be done. My boss is a chore to deal with I might ad.

• Members

It is usually not a recommended thing to do. If you really hate your job then do it but not until the other job is lined up.

I think he means reduction at his current job.

I've seen it happen at our company, and they brought it back after the dip. Helped most people keep jobs. It was fairly small though (5%).

• Members

Well, I take home $15 per hour, he says he has guys coming in willing to work for $8 per hour because times are tough. I've been there for 6 years. Everything was fine until a little over a year ago, I was the lone employee and business was good, then he hired his son, which hasn't made my job any easier btw. Now he's says he needs to cut back on payroll. This is a farmers market, I'd call myself a Jack of all trades, farming, carpentry and maintenance, whatever needs to be done. My boss is a chore to deal with I might ad.

I'd be looking for a job ASAP. Sounds like he has ZERO appreciation for loyalty.

• Members

WOW! He wants to take you from $15/hr to $8? I'd tell him good luck finding someone with the skills you have and willing to put up with all of it for $8/hr, then I'd take off. I understand wanting to cut buck or needing to, rather...But maybe he'll meet in the middle? $12? I mean, you have 6 years of experience with the guy, if he can't value that, then I'd LET him hire some scrub for $8/hr

• Members

yup , I'd make the argument that you know the job well ,assuming you don't miss days or are late or do anything that may cost them time and money I'd mention that as well ( highly reliable). If it's specialized skills invloved like carpentry and maintenance you can make the argument it will cost more to train one or more people . It sounds like though he'll be a hard ass and you'll need to walk right there or accept the deal and move on later when you find something .

• Members

WOW! He wants to take you from $15/hr to $8? I'd tell him good luck finding someone with the skills you have and willing to put up with all of it for $8/hr, then I'd take off. I understand wanting to cut buck or needing to, rather...But maybe he'll meet in the middle? $12? I mean, you have 6 years of experience with the guy, if he can't value that, then I'd LET him hire some scrub for $8/hr

This and this and this. $15 down to $12 is a paycut. $15 down to $8 is {censored}ing you in the ass.

• Members

You could make that elsewhere. FROM WHAT I KNOW (which is not much) You could quit and file for unemployment because he demanded you take a paycut. If he fires you otherwise, you should be able to get unemployment as well, while you look for a new job.

As I said a minute ago, you could make that elsewhere. Lot of people are looking for work right now and sure they'll take $8/hr to have a job, but, they won't stick around for that...and they won't be worth a {censored}...

• Members

You could make that elsewhere. FROM WHAT I KNOW (which is not much) You could quit and file for unemployment because he demanded you take a paycut. If he fires you otherwise, you should be able to get unemployment as well, while you look for a new job.

As I said a minute ago, you could make that elsewhere. Lot of people are looking for work right now and sure they'll take $8/hr to have a job, but, they won't stick around for that...and they won't be worth a {censored}...

You can't collect unemployment when you "Quit" a job

• Members

yup , I'd make the argument that you know the job well ,assuming you don't miss days or are late or do anything that may cost them time and money I'd mention that as well ( highly reliable). If it's specialized skills invloved like carpentry and maintenance you can make the argument it will cost more to train one or more people . It sounds like though he'll be a hard ass and you'll need to walk right there or accept the deal and move on later when you find something .

As a company that deals with quite a bit of turnover, I've been told by many supervisors, that the most difficult thing is to get people to SHOW UP...let alone getting them to actually do work.

I'd point-blank ask the guy if he believes that 2 people at $8/hr is better in his eyes than me at $15. His answer will show his cards, and make your decision easy. If someone was to pay me $8/hr, I don't care what it is, I'm not going to be doing labor for that much...let alone anything else - lol.

• Members

1) Take pay cut.

2) Start looking for other job.

3) Leave bag of dookie behind one of the ceiling panels when you go.

Sorry, I posted this before realizing we were talking about $15 ----> $8. New steps:

1) {censored} that guy.

2) {censored} him with a burning porcupine.

3) Sideways.

Archived