How do you use credit to fuel your guitar obsession?

Marshredder

• Members

I was thinking about this last night. A lot of you have massive collections or some very expensive pieces of gear and I was wondering what your views were towards using credit to obtain gear. Ive included a private poll, so its all kept confidential if you dont want others to know, but feel free to discuss your opinions below...

Thought this could be interesting :cop:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wont buy a guitar or amp unless i can pay for it without using credit. I use my debit card or cash, sometimes i will buy a amp or guitar with a credit card and pay the card immediately.

I dont like Paying intrest and i hate playing my gear and knowing im having to make monthly payments on it, i used to buy stuff on credit and a year later see that i paid alot of intrest and still owed alot money on it because i didnt pay enough each month, so i stopped that and i wont buy it unless i have the cash for it.

I have alot of gear but i own all of it, im not making payments on it.

• Members

Ive bought some asskicking gear and most of it with a CC. Ive got a small balance right now, soon to be zero. Ive always got the money in savings but have been paying it off weekly with my paycheck so I dont dip into it. The upside? {censored}ing Peters Chimera, Jackson USA Custom Shop King V, ESP Standard V, Tonerite:lol:, etc, etc.

• Members

I never use credit to buy gear, not even the "three easy payments" thing AMS or Sweetwater offer. :idk:

Not bragging; I just am barely coming out of a long phase where I couldn't have gotten credit if I wanted, and it never occurs to me that I probably could now.

• Members

I never pay interest. I order things online with a credit card, but I pay off my credit card balance each month without accruing interest.

Yup, poll needs option for "Always use credit and pay it off before interest accrues".

I do that for pretty much everything, not just gear. I rarely have more than 20 bucks in my wallet. I also don't have a debit card. We just pay off all of our cards every month so they essentially have a working balance of zero. I do end up with a ton of frequent shopper points this way besides the convenience of not using cash.

It is important to have the discipline to still buy only the things that you would have purchased if you only had cash available. Some of my friends and family lack that discipline...

• Members

I always get a laugh out of the results of these threads. For a den of scum, people hate to admit to using credit cards to buy gear. It's about the as same number of people who will admit to having an ugly wife or girlfriend on here. Either everyone is so broke and has such poor credit they don't have credit cards or we're a bunch of finacial wizards. People are more likely to admit to using drugs on here than credit cards.

• Members

I always get a laugh out of the results of these threads. For a den of scum, people hate to admit to using credit cards to buy gear. It's about the as same number of people who will admit to having an ugly wife or girlfriend on here. Either everyone is so broke and has such poor credit they don't have credit cards or we're a bunch of finacial wizards. People are more likely to admit to using drugs on here than credit cards.

It doesn't take a financial wizard to learn to save and only spend what you have. It takes a bit of restraint.

• Members

Any time I buy something online. Forums, ebay, MF, whatever, I use a CC. The issue isnt debt for me, because that gets paid off quickly, the issue is that as a last resort I can do a chargeback on that $2800 guitar. Try that with a debit card. Good luck. Id rather pay a bit on interest if it takes a couple months to pay off than to lose the whole amount that I spent.

• Members

yeah these threads are funny. we are all perfect, successful, fully-independent fiscal gurus with tons of disposable income for gear as young adults and middle aged people clearly all do these days. oh yeah and we all bang models.

on the srs, i just had my friend move in to my house. didnt have a roomie for a bit but he is just moving back to the mitten from FL. the rent will be nice though.

Archived