Why is marijuana illegal?

primeholy

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Drunks are much more of a threat to public safety than stoners

If it were legal more people would learn to self sustain, that's where they would lose out. Better to legalize, tax it and make money that way but this way they clog up the legal system; sustaining those jobs/revenue. Its all about money.

• Members

Its all about money.

That pretty much sums everything up.

And many people are quite gullible and still buy into government propaganda. I was amazed to see how some of the older instructors bought into it when I was going through my RN program.

• Members

Marijuana is illegal because the law considering mind changing or mood altering chemicals are inconsistent and capricious.

I also suspect there is a money issue.

I have done most all drugs and marijuana is the least harmful, alcohol is the most dangerous by a long shot in my opinion. I plan to get prescribed medical marijuana as my HepC gets worse.

What I really hate is ex-drug addicts/alcoholics who are against legalization of pot. Don't these fools see the hypocrisy in their position?

• Members

Because if they make it legal they know many kids out there will be tempted to cross the line and try harder stuff ... just because it's illegal.

I don't think that would occur. IMO the ones who might do things like that aren't going to stop at weed, anyway, and almost always want to go to the next level or just have the urge to try the most intense things they can.

• Members

I think it is illegal just because no corporations ever got behind it.

That and timing.

Although I would be interested to see how corporations got involved with tobacco - going from farmers to what it is now, and why this didn't happen with pot.

• Members

I think it is illegal just because no corporations ever got behind it.

That and timing.

Although I would be interested to see how corporations got involved with tobacco - going from farmers to what it is now, and why this didn't happen with pot.

I think someone earlier had a good idea about hemp being a competition to existing products/corporations, then government industries started raking it in. Additionally, unless they somehow come up with a way to control it, I think the pharmacy industry would suffer if weed was readily available legally due to weed seeming to have calming effects on many who would otherwise be on prescription anxiolytics or other psychotropics. I think it'll be a long, long time before the illegal status changes in most parts of the nation.

• Members

I don't buy the gateway agrument either.

Kids are going to try what they want. If you decriminalize pot they could focus more on the harmful stuff.

To an extent I can see where they're coming from with the whole Gateway thing, I could see how it could remove the whole stigma of what a "Drug" is; Kid tries weed, thinks.. "Hmm I don't get what the whole negative thing about drugs." and from there they may be more open to trying other "Harder" drugs, but the whole prohibition thing has caused weed to be sold and classed with the actual manufactured drugs, which I think is where the main problem lies. Cannibas needs to be talked about in the same way as Alcohol and even Tobacco, not Cocaine or Heroin.

• Members

See what your saying and kinda agree

Hard to say though. Kids will try it either way. If its not taboo and responsible use is preached instead of lumping it in w heroin like you said I think wed be better off.

You can make agruments either way on the gateway debate but we agree alcohol and tobacco are worse.

• Members

Alcohol has done infinitely more to lower my inhibitions than weed ever has. As a matter of fact, weed tends to make me a lot more conservative. That's why I had to quit. It was holding me back from the good things and people in my life.

Archived