Tips for playing guitar in a 2 guitar band?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

For the first time, I may have a chance to join a band as the 2nd guitar player.....probably mostly rhythm at first. They're a punk/space rock/hardcore type band......I really dig their music. Kind of geeking out at this opportunity.

Any tips or thoughts about playing with another guitar player?

Never done it before. How do I avoid stomping on the other guy's tone (and the bass player's sound), and how do I find my own space?

Is it as easy as having contrasting tones? Contrasting gear choices?:confused:

• Members

It's all about arrangement. Be musical, be aware of what the other guy is doing, and plan parts between you so that the band sounds good overall. Do those things and choice of gear basically becomes irrelevant.

• Members

Dont over bass your sound, spend time working with the other stringed instrumentalists, you'll all have to alter your tones to make a band mix work.

Dont become obsessed with sounding thick or huge, let the band sound thick and huge by all considering each others jobs and tones. It also helps to know what everyone is good at, play to your strengths and dont be ashamed of admitting the other guitarist can do it better.

• Members

Dynamics. Find a place in the mix and don't step outside of it. Diff sounding gear is important

Not always, i've seen plenty of bands that sounded awesome with matching amp/guitar set-ups. Its quite dependant on the style of the band, because sometimes you want the two guitars to "lock in" and sound as one.

• Members

99% of the time, in CLG we were using the same amp.

Different speaker choices and guitar arrangements (as well as a very different approach to EQ) allowed us to sound distinct live.

I think concentrating more on WHAT you're playing rather than the tone of it will allow you each to have a more individual voice.

• Members

Dont over bass your sound, spend time working with the other stringed instrumentalists, you'll all have to alter your tones to make a band mix work.

Dont become obsessed with sounding thick or huge, let the band sound thick and huge by all considering each others jobs and tones. It also helps to know what everyone is good at, play to your strengths and dont be ashamed of admitting the other guitarist can do it better.

That was my first thought....:lol:.....was to go for a darker bigger sounding slightly scooped tone, since the other guy has more of a grinding middy marshall tone.

Good points though......too much bass or low mids and the mix will sound like mud.

• Members

For the first time, I may have a chance to join a band as the 2nd guitar player.....probably mostly rhythm at first. They're a punk/space rock/hardcore type band......I really dig their music. Kind of geeking out at this opportunity.

Never done it before. How do I avoid stomping on the other guy's tone (and the bass player's sound), and how do I find my own space?

Is it as easy as having contrasting tones? Contrasting gear choices?
:confused:

As a drummer...

1) Check the ego at the door

2) Help each other do better, do more.

3) Share lead / rhythm duties if hte talent is there between both members. Be realistic - if one guy is a lot better, let him handle most of it, and see if you can do harmony-leads...barring that, have well-declared intentions..."You're here to play rhythm" is a good way to put it, and put that out front before anything gets rolling and someone starts asking why.

4) BLEND

5) Make sure you're playing your parts identically to each other - it doesn't matter if they're right wth the album...it matters that you are both playing the same notes, the same way, with the same timing - TIGHT-TIGHT-TIGHT!...trust me, I can hear when someone is slightly off time or plays slightly off from the other, and it sounds like ASS! Not only that, but it can also skew with the timing of other members if someone is locked in on one person or the other!!!

6) Everyone in the band needs to get the same {censored}ing tuner, and get in tune before you start playing. I can hear that {censored} too.

• Members

What are your thoughts on playing similar things? As in, do you always try to play things slightly different or varied from the other guy?

Do whatever sounds good! Maybe the whole band playing a unison riff will be great, maybe it'd be better if one instrument did something to counter it - some kind of counterpoint or a part that sets the riff to a harmonic backing. If you're both playing chords, choose different voicings, play triads, make more complex chords that you couldn't manage on one guitar. I'd say the possibilities are endless. Don't be afraid of not playing either - holding back in a verse so your eventual entry has more impact can be a great ploy.

• Members

As a drummer...

5) Make sure you're playing your parts identically to each other - it doesn't matter if they're right wth the album...it matters that you are both playing the same notes, the same way, with the same timing - TIGHT-TIGHT-TIGHT!...trust me, I can hear when someone is slightly off time or plays slightly off from the other, and it sounds like ASS! Not only that, but it can also skew with the timing of other members if someone is locked in on one person or the other!!!

This is a very good point. If you are gonna play the same thing, it becomes even more important that it's as tight as a duck's arse because you've still got to make it groove and if one guy's doing the riff pushing the beat and the other's being a bit lazy on a couple of notes, it'll sound amateur.

• Members

Be the guitarist that adjusts to the other guy. Seriously, it's the best advice I can give. Someone has to be flexible in terms of playing style, tone, etc...

I have very good rhythm and can play loose, tight, whatever. Every guitarist has a style, and our singers/other guitarist is loose and straight up. If I make him play like me, it's impossible. Just doesn't blend well. So what do I do? I adjust to fit well with him. He writes a lot of the songs anyways.

2 people unwilling to meet in the middle never works. Be the bigger man :thu:

• Members

This is a very good point. If you are gonna play the same thing, it becomes even more important that it's as tight as a duck's arse because you've still got to make it groove and if one guy's doing the riff pushing the beat and the other's being a bit lazy on a couple of notes, it'll sound amateur.

I totally agree also, to me it all boils down to how tight it is , then when you get that clarity you move on from there; play in time, that is ALL. Start simple build the foundations.

• Members

Yeah def. leave the bass low on your amp.

Were the songs written for two guitars?

Yes, but I'm not sure how far either strays from the other during most parts. I know there are lead parts, but I'm pretty sure the other guy will be doing most of those.

• Members

Is it as easy as having contrasting tones? Contrasting gear choices?
:confused:

Some of my big tips.

- Get a pitch shifter and modulate yourself down 2 octaves with mix on 100%.

- If your counterpart uses a pick, try using a different sized pick, ideally made of different material

- If you have a drummer, situate your amp so it faces directly into the bass drum. This will improve your low end and give your tone a slightly different attack and feel.

- Try wearing a jumper when you play as your body will then be warmer, thus improving the resonance of the guitar body through heat transfer. Have him play with a fan aimed at him to cool the effect.

- If one of you are struggling to cut through the mix, attach a small bell to the front of the guitar amp; if the bell vibrates with a ring, that's the amp that's producing the over-dominant effect and the one you'll need to back off.

- Ask the bass player to use a phaser; this way he will constantly work around the frequencies your guitar amps put out.

Hope this helps!

• Members

Be the guitarist that adjusts to the other guy. Seriously, it's the best advice I can give. Someone has to be flexible in terms of playing style, tone, etc...

I have very good rhythm and can play loose, tight, whatever. Every guitarist has a style, and our singers/other guitarist is loose and straight up. If I make him play like me, it's impossible. Just doesn't blend well. So what do I do? I adjust to fit well with him. He writes a lot of the songs anyways.

2 people unwilling to meet in the middle never works. Be the bigger man
:thu:

Word.

I know the guys in the band, and they're very cool. We all get along, which is why I think they thought of me.

It's not 100% for sure at this point (sounded like a long story), but I will be learning some of their songs anyway. :rawk:

The guitar player and I get along pretty well, so I don't foresee any big issues. :)

• Members

Some of my big tips.

- If your counterpart uses a pick, try using a different sized pick, ideally made of different material

- If you have a drummer, situate your amp so it faces directly into the bass drum. This will improve your low end and give your tone a slightly different attack and feel.

- Try wearing a jumper when you play as your body will then be warmer, thus improving the resonance of the guitar body through heat transfer. Have him play with a fan aimed at him to cool the effect.

- If one of you are struggling to cut through the mix, attach a small bell to the front of the guitar amp; if the bell vibrates with a ring, that's the amp that's producing the over-dominant effect and the one you'll need to back off.

- Ask the bass player to use a phaser; this way he will constantly work around the frequencies your guitar amps put out.

Hope this helps!

Also, use a different material for your strap

• Members

Some of my big tips.

Hope this helps!

:lol:

• Members
Some of my big tips.

Hope this helps!

nice :lol:

Archived