Tips for playing guitar in a 2 guitar band?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Word.

I know the guys in the band, and they're very cool. We all get along, which is why I think they thought of me.

It's not 100% for sure at this point (sounded like a long story), but I will be learning some of their songs anyway.
:rawk:

The guitar player and I get along pretty well, so I don't foresee any big issues.
:)

It's not about getting along. I've played with best friends and had it not work out. I've played with strangers and been spot on with them. You need to be on the same page playing wise, and that's easier for some than others. It's rare that two people end up on the same page with strumming style, etc...

• Members

Try to rehearse with the other guitar player...just you two. If you two walk into rehearsal locked and tight you'll save the band HOURS.

Plus, with a whole band sometimes it's hard to hear the other guitar, especially if the band gets loud at rehearsal (I hate that but that's another thread). So it's best to lock your parts down when you two are alone.

• Members

As in? G power chord play a full G chord? or like an octave or something?

if someone is playing a simple G power chord, I'll do an inversion a bit higher up the neck; this is a 1st inversion (I like to add the B on the E string too)

dgb+strings+b+root.JPG

if you get good at mixing inversions when you're playing similar parts, it'll keep the music interesting to the listener's ear

• Members

if someone is playing a simple G power chord, I'll do an inversion a bit higher up the neck; this is a 1st inversion (I like to add the B on the E string too)

if you get good at mixing inversions when you're playing similar parts, it'll keep the music interesting to the listener's ear

This is also very good advice. Can add a lot of color to rhythms.

• Members

Malcolm Young it - turn the gain & bass down

Also Silverchair/RATM it - get tight with the bass player: nothing sounds more massive than drums/bass/guitar all riffing together tight. Listen to Frog Stomp & Evil Empire & you'll hear what I'm talking about

• Members

I'm coming from a band where I was playing bass for 3 years......I feel like I've really tightened my playing up and learned a lot from the experience.

I had always tried, when playing in unison, to make us sound like one giant guitar.

After seeing a lot of bands with 2 guitars, I'm almost always surprised by the tones of the guitars separately......

One guitar player starts a riff.........then the other guitar comes in, and you go "oooooooooohhhhhhh! :eek::idea:"

• Members

I tended to play much more open chord voicings as my lead player tended to go for the cheaters more often than not. Timing is key, be the rock. my .02

oh man, this. I was the opposite, though. The 'lead' guitarist would do a lot of open voicings and i'd cheat and do fifths, power chords, or octaves since i was singing as well.

Turning your lows down works very well. Also, in a two-guitarist band i've always backed off on the gain somewhat. Seemed to work better with a bass and two guitars. An i'm talking heavier hard rock type stuff as well.

• Members

Malcolm Young it - turn the gain & bass down

Also Silverchair/RATM it - get tight with the bass player: nothing sounds more massive than drums/bass/guitar all riffing together tight. Listen to Frog Stomp & Evil Empire & you'll hear what I'm talking about

That was my other thought too.......just play cleaner than I would normally. More of a garage-y tone, than a full on distortion. It's not all that chuggy or straight metal.

I enjoy both of those albums very much....I know what you're saying.

• Members

Get the new Zoom video/audio recorder. They're not super expensive. Once you guys are used to each other record a gig or practice and then watch the entire thing together to see what you guys are doing wrong.

• Members

It helps if you can go wireless or at least get some long cables and then get out in front of the band and really listen to how it sounds. Once everyone gets a good mix make notes of the settings and stick to them. If the other guitar player keeps reaching for the volume knob then its ALWAYS a struggle. Play for the band/mix NOT to be the dominator!

• Members

We have always been a two guitar band until this year. Learn each others style and compliment each other with different chord shapes. That worked really well for us and it sounds huge when played tight. Our other guitar player had to step down so I am having to change everything :cry:

• Members

I was mostly talking about tone, as I understand band etiquette and all that, but this has been helpful.
:thu:

Well, I think it starts with tone. My co-guitarist and I have very complementary rigs, and we each own our own little space in the mix, which means we rarely if ever find ourselves turning up to be heard. His Fryette 100/CL has chunky low end, is really dry and grainy (in a good way), and is slightly scoopy. My Mesa Mark III brings a bit more saturation, juiciness and mids.

It also helps that we have the bassist least likely of any in the world to step on any of our frequencies. :thu:

Archived