Proud day to be British

paulintheuk

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ahhh you scots are no fun...

Oh man, Every time that Ive been to Scotland, Ive had the time of my life, I love that place and the people... Truth be told, The whole of the UK is more than cool with me.

Funny though, I wonder what the thread would have been like if someone said that they were proud to be American?

• Members

I've never understood this patriotism thing. I mean, I don't understand why anyone would be proud of the coincidence of having been born in the same vicinity as some other people who'd done impressive stuff, and in particular to be proud specifically of the imaginary political lines drawn around that vicinity. The list of Scots happens to have come up which is why I'm quoting it - but I'd be just as confused if it were an English person who'd posted a list of English people who've done stuff. Or Londoners. Or tall people. Or people called Mark.

So, I'm sort of with the guy in Illinois. I don't know what it is I'm expected to be proud of.

I gues you get proud of your national heritage, wherever you may be from.

I feel being Scottish our heritage is second to none, without the Scots of yesteryear the modern world would be a completely different place.. or would it?, we will never know what would have happened, would someone else have invented or discovered certain things if a Scotsman didn't?... maybe, maybe something different that done a similar job.. but the world would still be a different place. I'm not saying the world owes everything to Scotland.. but Scotland has played a vitaly important roll in shaping who and what we all are today.. and that includes America...

United States Navy. Created largely in by John Paul Jones, who was born in Kirkcudbrightshire.

If we all looked at the history of our own countries we would all find something to be proud to be assosiated with, we will also find things to be ashamed of (such as how the Brittish Empire was created.. another reason not to be proud to be Brittish lol) some people will have more reasons to be proud than others though.

Patriotism is something that is bred into you from an early age, a way of knowing your own identity and your place in the world, it gives you something to aspire to perhaps, a standard to aim for, a reputation to uphold.. whatever you want to call it, patriotism is important you learn your history and what your forefather fought and died for etc etc etc.. something we should all be proud of.

• Members

Oh man, Every time that Ive been to Scotland, Ive had the time of my life, I love that place and the people... Truth be told, The whole of the UK is more than cool with me.

Funny though, I wonder what the thread would have been like if someone said that they were proud to be American?

It would have broke out into an Alabama song.

• Members

Waste of money and the concept of hereditary privilege is abhorrent.

I feel ashamed to be British.

So this. I'm Canadian, and while I have no problem with the Commonwealth or Britain, I think the Queen (and entire royal family by extension) is an extraordinary waste of time and money. Go ahead and be proud, but be proud of your nation's merits, not of the undeserving ceremonial figureheads who are ostensibly in charge of it.

• Members
Because it's a good excuse to bring the commonwealth together and celebrate being part of something.

Ps since when have the British needed too much of an excuse to party?!?

Why do you celebrate thanksgiving? When really it just means
your founding fathers were too thick to bring food with them
... Though one of them brought 140+ pairs of shoes...

Well, they were British so we gave 'em a pass:lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Members

I'm Irish and have no love for the royals, but what the {censored}? I don't get why it's such a big deal for the British to actually celebrate something! I mean so what? I live in England and have no problem with the English having some {censored}ing pride for once.

IMO, there wouldn't be this much flak over any other nationality celebratiing their heritage; I guess the british are a safe racial target, right? I'd like to see you giving {censored} to someone celebrating Deepvali. My guess is the cat would most definitely have your tongue!

• Members

I'm Irish and have no love for the royals, but what the {censored}? I don't get why it's such a big deal for the British to actually celebrate something! I mean so what? I live in England and have no problem with the English having some {censored}ing pride for once.

IMO, there wouldn't be this much flak over any other nationality celebratiing their heritage; I guess the british are a safe racial target, right? I'd like to see you giving {censored} to someone celebrating Deepvali. My guess is the cat would most definitely have your tongue!

My comment was just a silly joke and not meant to demean the Queen. I would have loved to have been there to watch the flotilla.

• Members

why are you proud of being Scottish? Worst diet in Europe? Highest heart disease? Highest alcoholism?

Or is the the kilt? (irish) tartan? (Irish) whiskey? (Irish) bagpipes? (Irish) haggis? (English actually)

Or is it just the fact that we kicked your arse in a few wars back in the day? So what, get over it.

Check your facts. The kilt isn't Irish. Clan tartans were an invention of an English quaker merchant. Bagpipes predate both classical Irish and Scottish pipes.

However, most cool stuff about Scotland does come from Ireland

• Members

I'm guessing if this was American it would catch more flak. And it's not targeting English, or bashing them in general. The negative comments really stem from the existence of monarchy and the celebration of a useless event. If the topic was the celebration of a historic victory against oppressors or something of the like you'd prolly have seen zero flak.

And by the way I do enjoy the Brits and its lands. Have a ball everytime I've been there, plenty of Brit frieds too.

• Members

About the Pilgrims and Thanksgiving:

They taught us in grade school that they left England because of "religious persecution". Actually, they were of the opinion that England was too sinful, so they moved to Holland. Then, they freaked out because their kids were all speaking Dutch instead of English, so the majority of them went into debt to move to the New World, indenturing themselves to the wealthy Puritans to pay for their passage.

Holier than Thou, Speak English or Die, Workin' for The Man. Only been about 400 years, nothing has changed.

My great-grandparents were English illegal aliens. Suck it, Blue Bloods!

Happy Jubilee, my great-grand-brothers!

• Members
Ah you're Scottish you would say that
;)

Other countries may not have royalty but they ALL have privileged classes so why worry?

That doesn't make it right though.

I just think that such an elaborate and expensive celebration is wrong when the country is struggling for money and services and benefits for lots of people are being cut.
I see it a lot at my work (in volunteering); funding cuts everywhere and lots of needy people being left by the wayside.

Archived