Proud day to be British

paulintheuk

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
YAY TIME TO CELEBRATE! HORRIBLE FOOD FOR EVERYONE!

PS...for sake of full disclosure, My grandpa came over from Wales. There's a good chance I'm drunk right now.

That's cool! I'm a bit pissed too so forgive me if I've been a bit too forthright :)

• Members

The royals bring in a lot of money now through public relations, doing business with other countries that have royal families. Those countries prefer do business with others of their stature,be it wrong or right.

They can also use their fame to draw attention to global issues..

They may well bring in a lot of money, but they also cost a hell of a lot of money too, offset the incomings and outgoings and we could do just as well (or better) without them.

She has no say in the running of the country, she is simply and overpaid figurehead who swans around the world in her finest robes and jewels going to banquets and visiting other overpaid heads of state and royalty, for what???? nothing that anyone else couldn't do.

As for useing their fame to draw attention to global issues... Bob Geldof done that too... and done a far better job of it than any royal, I'd sooner give Bob my taxes than the bloody royal family.

• Members

I would say it too.. I too am Scottish and I'm proud to be Scottish , which is something I can't say about being British

why are you proud of being Scottish? Worst diet in Europe? Highest heart disease? Highest alcoholism?

Or is the the kilt? (irish) tartan? (Irish) whiskey? (Irish) bagpipes? (Irish) haggis? (English actually)

Or is it just the fact that we kicked your arse in a few wars back in the day? So what, get over it.

• Members

lol, thread is backfiring, who'd a thunk it
:lol:

Actually it's exactly what I expected and I'm enjoying it!

Ps actually I consider myself English, why would I want to be associated with Scotland (though I generally like the Welsh)

• Members

I didn't say I was proud of anything. I simply don't understand why anyone would care that the Queen has reigned for sixty years.

I apologise, I guess unless you were raised with monarchy you wouldn't get it... It's just a case of national pride really. Guess you have nothing similar to compare it too.

• Members

Waste of money and the concept of hereditary privilege is abhorrent.

I feel ashamed to be British.

{censored}ing this. At a time when people are struggling more than ever to find work and keep a house over their head, the thought of celebrating some one born into a very very rich life and no need to do a single days work pisses me off.

Proud to be British? no. Why be proud of something that happened by accident of birth. Be proud of your achievements, don't be proud of something that you had no say in.

• Members

{censored}ing this. At a time when people are struggling more than ever to find work and keep a house over their head, the thought of celebrating some one born into a very very rich life and no need to do a single days work pisses me off.

So I take it you believe that all premiership footballers should be neutered?

• Members

I apologise, I guess unless you were raised with monarchy you wouldn't get it... It's just a case of national pride really. Guess you have nothing similar to compare it too.

Again, I'm being serious in wondering why it's a point of pride for you. I have no issue with being patriotic, but I guess I feel like you are saying that you are proud to be British because of the Queen's birthday (I realize this is not the same). The two don't seem to be connected to me. You simply have no influence over either.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding how your monarchy works in that it seems to me that they don't really have any influence on the country. At least not any more than any rich celebrity does.

Finally, this isn't a USA vs. GBR thing. I like England. I listen to Talk{censored}e radio on a daily basis. Thoroughly enjoyed the Blue side's victory over the scum in the final minute. Wish we had NHS etc. I'm genuinely interested in why you seem to be proud of something like the Queen's Jubilee unless you are part of the royal bloodline.

• Members

why are you proud of being Scottish? Worst diet in Europe? Highest heart disease? Highest alcoholism?

Or is the the kilt? (irish) tartan? (Irish) whiskey? (Irish) bagpipes? (Irish) haggis? (English actually)

Or is it just the fact that we kicked your arse in a few wars back in the day? So what, get over it.

Macadamised roads - John Loudon McAdam

Pedal bycycle - Kirkpatrick Macmillan

Pneumatic tyre - Robert William Thomson and John Boyd Dunlop

Overhead valve engine - David Dunbar Buick

Tubular steel - Sir William Fairbairn

Condensing steam engine improvements - James Watt

Logarithms - John Napier

The pyroscope, atmometer and aethrioscope scientific instruments - Sir John Leslie

The MRI body scanner - John Mallard and James Huchinson

Pioneering the use of surgical anaesthesia with Chloroform - Sir James Young Simpson

Identifying the mosquito as the carrier of malaria - Sir Ronald Ross

Those are the not so well known ones, here are some most people will know...

The television - John Logie Baird

The refrigerator - William Cullen

The flush toilet - Alexander Cummings

The piano footpedal - John Broadwood

Penicillin - Alexander Fleming

and dare I say it...

Bank of England devised by William Paterson

I could go on, but that's already enough to make me proud to be Scottish, I won't ask what reason you have to be proud to be English as no doubt you will tell me, but I'm not interested in the slightest ;p

God save the queen.. 4th verse...

"come up and crush ye rebel Scots"... I don't think so, fought the English off at Bannockburn and the numbers that turn up at Hampden is laughable lol.

On a serious note.. I have a lot of good English friends and in no way want to cause anyone any offence, I have absolutely nothing against the English... well, just the English media and the BBC tbh... when Scotland or a Scottish person does well.. is Britain or Brittish, when England or and English person does well.. it's England or English, when Scotland or a Scottish person do something wrong/bad.. it's Scotland or Scottish.. when England or an English person does wrong/bad... it's Britain or Brittish.

Andy Murry (tennis player) looses he is Scottish, when he wins he is Brittish... it's the same story with everything, no wonder us Scots are sick of Britain.

• Members

I like America, I try and visit whenever possible...

(I also own American (and canadian) guitars and amps)

It's just an impossible thing to explain really... It's like having an affiliation to a football team really, nothing to totally justify it, you just either appreciate it or you don't.

I'm proud to be English, even though I'd be the first to point out our faults.

• Members

Logarithms - John Napier

The pyroscope, atmometer and aethrioscope scientific instruments - Sir John Leslie

Pioneering the use of surgical anaesthesia with Chloroform - Sir James Young Simpson

and dare I say it...

Bank of England devised by William Paterson

I could go on, but that's already enough to make me proud to be Scottish, I won't ask what reason you have to be proud to be Brittish as no doubt you will tell me, but I'm not interested in Brittishness in the slightest ;p

I am proud of being English for too many reasons to list. :)

(though I believe everyone should be proud of their countries, I just was intrigued why so many people take my pride in England as justification for being negative about it! Jingoism in extremis)

• Members

Logarithms - John Napier

I've never understood this patriotism thing. I mean, I don't understand why anyone would be proud of the coincidence of having been born in the same vicinity as some other people who'd done impressive stuff, and in particular to be proud specifically of the imaginary political lines drawn around that vicinity. The list of Scots happens to have come up which is why I'm quoting it - but I'd be just as confused if it were an English person who'd posted a list of English people who've done stuff. Or Londoners. Or tall people. Or people called Mark.

So, I'm sort of with the guy in Illinois. I don't know what it is I'm expected to be proud of.

Archived