Proud day to be British

paulintheuk

• Members

That doesn't make it right though.

I just think that such an elaborate and expensive celebration is wrong when the country is struggling for money and services and benefits for lots of people are being cut.

I see it a lot at my work (in volunteering); funding cuts everywhere and lots of needy people being left by the wayside.

Do you not see it's not really FOR the Queen at all... Do you really think an 86 year old lady wanted to spend an 90 minutes in the cold and damp watching a lot of boats? It put prince Philip in hospital...

And do you think she really cares for a concert in her front yard? I'm pretty sure she'd have rather spent time with her family and dogs.

It is another example of her doing her duty, being a positive figurehead and focal point for the country/commonwealth to rally around when things are tough.

I think that the actual expense would probably be minimal considering the general increase in moral I've seen over the last few days :thu:

London in particular needed something coz we're all worried about the Olympics screwing up our commutes!!

And as I mentioned it's nice to have a reason to celebrate anything at the moment and why shouldn't we be proud to be British?

PS Satannica, thank you for making a very clear and concise point.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

FWIW, I actually don't mind the people in the royal family - I think they are good people who try and do their best and they do care about helping others.

It's both the concept and the implementation of the institution I disagree with.

The jubilee might have been for the people, but tomorrow there will still be huge social and economic problems in the country that could have been a bit better if they'd had the same time and money spent on them.

As for national pride, it is kind of weird actually. Scotland does have lots of past achievements, but it's really stuff from the Empire days and no-one involved is alive today.

I prefer to look at what we're doing now and what we can do in the future.

The thing I'm most proud of in Scotland is the commitment to making it an inclusive society - little things like free education and healthcare. Free higher education for the rest of the UK is now just a memory, but it's still alive here.

I'll be proud of Scotland if its people vote for independence and we then follow the Scandinavian social and economic models.

• Members

FWIW, I actually don't mind the people in the royal family - I think they are good people who try and do their best and they do care about helping others.

It's both the concept and the implementation of the institution I disagree with.

The jubilee might have been for the people, but tomorrow there will still be huge social and economic problems in the country that could have been a bit better if they'd had the same time and money spent on them.

As for national pride, it is kind of weird actually. Scotland does have lots of past achievements, but it's really stuff from the Empire days and no-one involved is alive today.

I prefer to look at what we're doing now and what we can do in the future.

The thing I'm most proud of in Scotland is the commitment to making it an inclusive society - little things like free education and healthcare. Free higher education for the rest of the UK is now just a memory, but it's still alive here.

I'll be proud of Scotland if its people vote for independence and we then follow the Scandinavian social and economic models.

I think you will find it will change if split from the uk.

It will be a VERY bad thing for both economies (the rest of the UK and Scotland)

• Members

As for being proud of the queen. I was anti royal for a long long time.

But the royal family has changed, it's now run as a busines that has to account for any spending it does and show it can make the money it receives from the government back. And it does, a lot of money.

Here in Japan the jubilee was shown live. With over a weeks worth of program's about the UK and its people. Now half my clients want to visit England and 3 of then have already booked tickets or gone. That's in one small town.

Remember Japan does not report on places much outside of Japan, so this is kind of a big deal.

It also changed a whole days worth of programs to show the royal wedding last year.

Japan is a wealthier country, so these people going to the uk are buying souvenirs and staying in hotels (basically spending cash in the UK) this in turn all helps the economy.

It also brings business connections, as people want to buy into that history and sense of pride. If it's also cool to like Britain now, a lot of people here (mostly good looking girls :love:) are wearing union flag t-shirts and loving the whole uk thing, its fashionable again (for the first time in a long time)

If you do the maths the royals are not a bad thing.

And you get another public holiday in the uk.

• Members

So I take it you believe that all premiership footballers should be neutered?

How the hell did you get that from my post? It seems many footballers were recruited because they played a good game, so that's something.

However...No. But I think they should stop being referred to as 'hero's' and not be paid such a stupidly high wage for kicking a bag of air around the field a couple of times of the month. In between all the cheating on their spouses, drinking and gang banging little tarts in hotel rooms.

• Members

Here in Japan the jubilee. Was shown live. With a weeks worth of program's about the uk. Now half my clients want to visit England and 3 of then have already booked tickets or gone. That's in one small town.

Japan is a wealthier country, so these people going to the uk buying souvenirs and staying in hotels all helps the economie.

It also bring business connections as people want to buy into that history and sense of pride.

If you do the maths the royals are not a bad thing.

And you get another holiday in the uk.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSn7v9s-idCCmfqEtISD8c

• Members

Good points Neil :)

I needed another holiday... Might be part of my enthusiasm!

Like you I believe Scotland and England will both suffer if they get independence... Not sure exactly how they will deal with the fact that a huge part of the UK is mixed blood but we'll have to see...

If they start to do well we might have to all emigrate! ;)

• Members

How the hell did you get that from my post? It seems many footballers were recruited because they played a good game, so that's something.

However...No. But I think they should stop being referred to as 'hero's' and not be paid such a stupidly high wage for kicking a bag of air around the field a couple of times of the month. In between all the cheating on their spouses, drinking and gang banging little tarts in hotel rooms.

I got this from your hatred of anyone born privileged who then doesn't need to work. Therefore by extension the children of premier league footballers, successful actors, business people etc.

Not just royalty :)

• Members

I don't hate people I don't know, so I'm still not sure how you got that from my post.

I don't hate privileged people, I said it pisses me off that regular hard working people are celebrating some one who has never had the troubles that we go through (losing your job, trying to pay the bills and crime to name a few). It's not like the Queen had to work hard to be the Queen, no ones going to stop her from being the Queen or firing her from her position.

It's not the people I hate, it's the over the top hoopla about it that gets on my nerves.

• Members

I don't hate people I don't know, so I'm still not sure how you got that from my post.

I don't hate privileged people, I said it pisses me off that regular hard working people are celebrating some one who has never had the troubles that we go through (losing your job, trying to pay the bills and crime to name a few). It's not like the Queen had to work hard to be the Queen, no ones going to stop her from being the Queen or firing her from her position.

It's not the people I hate, it's the over the top hoopla about it that gets on my nerves.

I used to think like that, but leaving the UK has really opened my eyes to the positives in the UK and big events like this are one of them. I would rather have them than not.

Look it this way, it's like a big {censored}ing advert for Britain. And from what I have seen is working.

• Members
I used to think like that, but leaving the UK has really opened my eyes to the positives in the UK and big events like this are one of them. I would rather have them than not.

Look it this way, it's like a big {censored}ing advert for Britain. And from what I have seen is working.

:thu: +plenty

Now I'm going to leave this subject, not realising that being patriotic would cause such emotion (only the English...)

I'm gonna go play some guitar :)

Peace

• Members

They are like the worlds wealthiest inbreds.

Slap that same family in a trailer park without the money, a cold 24 pack of pabst blue ribbon, some meth and watch the hilarity ensue.

This. They should totally have their own reality show, it would be {censored}ing HILARIOUS! :lol:

I mean, seriously, even the {censored}ing FRENCH have outgrown the need for a monarchy. :o With the Brits, it's almost cute in an "awww, would you look at that" sort of way; the way you'd look at a "special" kid proudly handing you his latest macaroni duck artwork for approval. D'AAAAWWWW... lookit, you're so CUTE, UK!!! :love:

• Members
I got this from your hatred of anyone born privileged who then doesn't need to work. Therefore by extension the children of premier league footballers, successful actors, business people etc.

Not just royalty
:)

Total null and void argument because footballers and actors actually develop a talent and work hard towards wealth. Imagine being born and instantly owning land and money, never having to wash your own clothes or prepare your own meals. Not really comparable I'm afraid.

• Members

This. They should totally have their own reality show, it would be {censored}ing HILARIOUS!
:lol:

I mean, seriously, even the {censored}ing FRENCH have outgrown the need for a monarchy.
:o
With the Brits, it's almost cute in an "awww, would you look at that" sort of way; the way you'd look at a "special" kid proudly handing you his latest macaroni duck artwork for approval. D'AAAAWWWW... lookit, you're so CUTE, UK!!!
:love:

Why you hate the British so much. I can only guess you are jealous of our sexy accents.

Or that you are doing to many bath salts :o

• Members
This. They should totally have their own reality show, it would be {censored}ing HILARIOUS!
:lol:

I mean, seriously, even the {censored}ing FRENCH have outgrown the need for a monarchy.
:o
With the Brits, it's almost cute in an "awww, would you look at that" sort of way; the way you'd look at a "special" kid proudly handing you his latest macaroni duck artwork for approval. D'AAAAWWWW... lookit, you're so CUTE, UK!!!
:love:

It's a lot better than what the rest of the world thinks about your nation trust me.

• Members

Total null and void argument because footballers and actors actually develop a talent and work hard towards wealth. Imagine being born and instantly owning land and money, never having to wash your own clothes or prepare your own meals. Not really comparable I'm afraid.

If you notice I mentioned the OFFSPRING of said footballers etc.

Ie people with not necessarily any talent of their own, just inherited money :)

• Members

Niether the USA or the UK is a democracy.

Our governments are bought and paid for by the wealthy ruling "Elite".

The UK leaders are just a bit more honest about it
;)

Thing is that is what becomes of a democracy. The political process attracts mostly amoral narcissistic sociopaths who have no qualms about lying out of every side of their mouths to get what they want. The disgusting thing is watching the majority of citizens being perfectly content with the lie, even when they are supposedly boiling mad about what's happening in their country. :idk:

• Members

It's a lot better than what the rest of the world thinks about your nation trust me.

I love how you think any of us give a {censored} what other, lesser, pissant playa-hating nations think of us. It's just because they want to BE us. It's also kind of cute, although less cute than the inbred 'tard UK monarch way. :lol:

Archived